With 4 breweries in town, 10 more under an hour away, and more popping up every few months, Ocean City, MD has asserted itself as the fastest growing craft beer brewery destination on the East Coast. Each week, OceanCity.com brings you ‘Microbrew Monday’ to keep you in the know about what’s going on around our local brewery scene. Don’t forget to check out ShoreCraftBeer.com for complete craft beer coverage and to learn how you can win prizes just for drinking local with the ShoreCraftBeer.com Shore-17 and OC-8 Brewery Challenges!
Here are this week’s highlights:
– On Monday, July 27, Ocean City Brewing Company will host the ‘Jet Powered Fundraiser’ to raise money for Cedar Chapel Special School. On July 13, local business and brewery owners took to the skies on jet powered watercraft to raise donations to help build new educational space at Cedar Chapel. Stop by the brewery from 4:30-6:00 on the 27th to see the footage, enjoy free appetizers, and help us meet our $2500 goal.
– Burley Oak is almost 4 years old and is already thinking ahead to the celebration. Mark you calendars for August 26th for an all day party with bottle releases, live music, food, giveaways, and more.
– Speaking of Ocean City Brewing Co., it has two dozen taps, many of which are occupied by craft beers made on premise. This week, Ocean City Brewing has new summer releases like its Blood Orange IPA, Orange Cruch Wheat Ale, and Watermelon Mint Ale, so make sure to stop by to sample them all! Also, head to the brewery for Pint Night on Tuesday at 7:00, “Firkin Friday” where a special, one-of-a-kind cask-conditioned brew is featured weekly, and breakfast at the brewery on the weekends. Finally, if you want a first-hand look at the brewing process, don’t forget to stop by OC Brewing Co. for a personal tour of the operation. Tours take place daily at 11am, 1pm and 3pm.
– Evolution Craft Brewing Company, in Salisbury, has great food and beer specials all week at Public House Restaurant and the tasting room. Check them out Monday for 1/2 priced wings and all day happy hour; Tuesday you can get a beer and burger for only $10; Wednesday house-smoked brisket sandwiches are 1/2 off all day; Thursday is ‘Community Appreciation Night” featuring discounts for police, firefighters, EMTs, teachers and others who make the local community a better place; and Sunday Evo has 1/2 priced burgers and happy hour all day long.
– The 3rd Wave Brewing Co., just up the road in Delmar, DE, prides itself on ‘Good Friends, Good Waves and Great Beer’ and wants to share all three with you. This week, stop by the taproom for School Faculty Appreciation Night on Monday for Hoppy Hour prices with proper ID, Wednesday for 3 pints for $3 each, Flight Night on Thursday with half price flights, or any other night to try 3rd Wave’s newest offerings.
– Located at 10th St. and the Boardwalk, Ocean City’s first brewery- Backshore Brewing Co.- may have the best view of any brewery anywhere in the country. Stop by for the view and stay for the handcrafted beers and brand new HoopTea. Plus, don’t forget to be on the lookout for Backshore’s big screen debut in ‘Blood, Sweat, and Beer,’ a recently released documentary chronicling two craft beer breweries.