(Jan. 30, 2015) With all of the drama surrounding the NFL and its players this year, including the most recent ball deflating incident, hopefully the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots will put on a show Sunday night to help fans remember why football has become one of America’s passions.
Kickoff will be at 6:30 p.m. from the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.
For those who can’t make it to the big game, many area bars and restaurants are hosting parties for Super Bowl XLIX.
Here are some local events planned:
West Ocean City:
• Harborside, South Harbor Road: Normal happy hour food including wings, shrimp, steamed mussels and steamed clams. Also, mini Philly cheesesteak with fries for $5.99. Drink specials include rails for $2 and 16-ounce domestic drafts for $2.
• Pickles Pub, 706 Philadelphia Avenue: Specials include a $10 bucket of Bud Light aluminum bottles and $15 all-you-can-eat ribs and wings combo.
• Dunes Manor Hotel, 28th Street & Baltimore Ave: The party starts on Saturday with a pre-game at the Dunes Man Cave Lounge with local craft beer, a Madden 2015 tournament on Xbox and PlayStation, a corn hole tournament, sports trivia contests with DJ Jeff and they will be playing football movies all weekend. Happy hour prices include $1.75 drafts, $2.50 rails,and house wine.
On Super Bowl Sunday, from 5 p.m. to the end of the game they will feature an all-you-can-eat and drink party for $49 a person. The stations will include four different types of wings, sandwiches, taco and nacho bar, potato station, dips and chips and hot dogs. The open bar will feature beer and wine. Activities taking place include a Madden 2015 tournament on Xbox and PlayStation, a corn hole tournament, sports trivia contests with DJ Jeff and football squares with prizes and giveaways.
• Seacrets, 49th Street: Half price jerk chicken, Jamaican fries, onion rings and wings. Drink specials include $2 domestic drafts, $3 domestic cans, $4 imports, $2.50 Naturals, $5.50 Captain Morgan, Ciroc Vodka and Ciroc Flavors.
• Ky West, 54th Street: Drink specials include $2 drafts, $3 domestics and rails and $5 house wines. Food specials include $8 for a half pound of shrimp, five fried shrimp and oysters for $8, wings for $6 and burgers, pulled pork or pulled chicken sandwiches for $10.
• Johnny’s Pizza, 56th Street: Specials include $2.50 keep-the-cup 22-ounce domestic drafts including Natty Boh, and $3.50 shooters, $14.99 pizza and a pitcher of beer special, in addition to shrimp baskets, wing baskets and pub fries. A $9 cheese pizza carryout special is also available.
• Galaxy 66/Skye Bar, 66th Street: A tailgate menu and happy hour drink specials will be offered. Prize giveaways at the end of each quarter and throughout the game including a $100 gift certificate for Skye Bar and two baskets of cheers.
• Touch of Italy, 67th Street inside the Holiday Inn Oceanfront: Extended happy hour prices from 3 p.m. to close.
• BJ’s on the Water, 75th Street: Food specials include New England clam chowder for $5; clam roll, fried clam strips on a sub roll with lettuce and tarter with chips for $7.99; fish and chips filet with fries and vinegar for $8.99, and “the twelfth man dog,” a hot dog with cheddar, pickled jalapenos, mac & cheese and caramelized onions with chips for $6.99. Miller, Coors and Natty cans are $2. Specialty drinks include the New England Cranberry Crush for $5 and the Seattle Sea Breeze for $4.50. Music by Teenage Rust and the Fabulous Rustettes will begin at 2 p.m.
• Breakers Pub and Horizons Oceanfront Restaurant, inside Clarion Resort Fontainebleau Hotel, 101st Street: Drink specials include domestic bottles and house wines for $2.50; Coors and Yuengling drafts for $2; rail liquor for $3 and margaritas on the rocks for $4. Food specials include a turkey cheesesteak slider for $4.95; a crab cake slider for $8.95; a blackened chicken quesadilla for $6.95; steamed jumbo shrimp $8.95; a pound of wings for $5.95; nachos grande for $5.95 and an NFL pizza for $9.95.
• Duffy’s Tavern, 130th Street: Happy hour all day with $3 imports, $3.25 call drinks, $2.50 rails, $2.25 domestic bottles and drafts, $5 crushes and $3 house wines. Food specials are an $8 cheese pizza and $6.99 fish and chips.
• Fox’s Pizza Den, Route 54, Selbyville: Buffet until halftime will include pulled pork and meatball sandwiches, chili, wings, hot dogs, shrimp salad, cheese and pepperoni pizza and peanut butter pie for $10. Regular happy hour prices starting at kickoff.
• Harpoon Hanna’s, Route 54: A $6.99 game day menu including cheese pizza, burgers, fish tacos, chicken wings and steamed shrimp. Drink specials include $2 Coors and Miller Light drafts, $3 rails and $3.50 call drinks.
• High Stakes Bar & Grill, Route 54, Fenwick Island: Regular happy hour specials on food and drinks.
• Cottage Café, Route 1 (across from Sea Colony Towers): Offering a complimentary buffet from kickoff until halftime. Regular happy hour prices will be available from noon until 6 p.m.