Melee breaks out on boards after Dew Tour concert ends

Melee breaks out on boards after Dew Tour concert ends

(June 28, 2013) A crowd of hundreds drew Ocean City police to the Boardwalk at North Division Street following the conclusion of the free Dew Tour concert Friday by electro-punk trio Krewella.

The concert had just ended when the Boardwalk became packed with its spectators and others shortly after 10 p.m. Numerous police were already on hand because of the large crowd that was dispersing.

At about that time, Cpl. Todd Spiegle saw a fight involving several people at North Division Street.

“A large crowd of several hundred began yelling and screaming and running in different directions when the fight broke out,” Spiegle wrote in a charging document. “Several officers were engaged with subjects who were fighting.”

One man, Bradley George Knight, 18, of Bel Air, was fighting, “throwing punches and wildly swinging his body,” according to Spiegle.

Another police officer was knocked down after he grabbed Knight and another person involved in the fight. Knight was swinging his elbows, which reportedly caused the officer to fall to the ground.

Sgt. Dennis Eade grabbed Knight from behind so he could arrest him, but Knight started to swing his body violently from side to side and he was also swinging his elbows toward the officer, according to the charging document.

Together, Spiegle and Eade were able to control Knight and put handcuffs on him.

Additional officers, including officers of the Mounted Unit, were called to the scene.

“Based on the large crowd surrounding officers and the fact that officers were dealing with another resisting suspect, all officers in the area were sent to the scene to restore order on the boardwalk,” Spiegle wrote. “There were numerous people running from the scene. The public peace of these individuals was disturbed by the actions of Knight and the other subjects involved in the fight.”

Knight was charged with affray, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

A juvenile male who had been fighting with Knight was also arrested.

Public Affairs Officer Mike Levy of the Ocean City Police Department, however, said it was “nothing unusual.”

Several officers, including the Mounted Unit, were called to the scene, but the incident “only lasted four or five minutes, the crowd left and life went back to normal.”

The crowd, he added, was large, just as it would be on any busy weekend in Ocean City.

Leave a Comment