Jury finds Smith guilty of breaking into Porfin Drive house

Jury finds Smith guilty of breaking into Porfin Drive house

(Jan. 17, 2014) A pre-sentence investigation was ordered Jan. 9 after a jury found a 35-year-old Dagsboro, Del., man guilty of breaking into a house on Porfin Drive off Route 611 on the way to Assateague Island last June.

The break-in terrified the homeowner, who loaded his gun and fired a shot through a door in his house.

After shooting, the homeowner called 911 to report the burglary. In court last Thursday, he recounted how he had been in his office on the second floor of his house when he heard the doorbell ring shortly before 9:30 p.m. Looking out a window, he saw a white van parked in his carport. Then he heard a loud smashing sound as someone broke the door of his house.

The homeowner ran to the third floor, where he retrieved and loaded his .45 caliber handgun. He locked the door of the room he was in and tried to barricade it with a pole.

From behind the closed door, he heard someone walking up the stairs and then heard the unknown person pushing on the door. The noise sounded like someone was slamming his body against the door.

The homeowner then saw the door start to break open and he fired a shot through it. The next sound he heard was of someone stumbling down the stairs.

Slowly, he walked to the door and looked out because he thought the intruder was leaving. He saw a man on the stairs so he pointed his gun at the man, who turned around and walked down the stairs and out of the house.

The homeowner heard two honks from a vehicle horn and saw the man who had been on the stairs get into the white van. He then called 911.

A state trooper located the van on Route 50 near Route 113 at about 9:45 p.m. He tried to stop the van, but the driver sped away, with the trooper in pursuit. Troopers followed the van into Delaware, where the driver turned right just past Selbyville. After driving a short distance, the driver, later identified as Kente William Wilcox, 30, of Westover, got out and ran, but he was apprehended a short distance away.

Kemayne Smith, the passenger, remained in the van and was arrested.

During the investigation, it was learned that both men had been in the house. According to a court document, Smith said Wilcox drove to the house and said he wanted to show him something. Smith said Wilcox forced open the door and then both of them entered.

Smith also said he searched several drawers before hearing the gunshot and then heard the horn of the vehicle. He went outside to the van, where Wilcox said he had to go and that he had been shot. Then he drove away and tried unsuccessfully to elude capture.

In Circuit Court in Snow Hill last week, the jury started deliberating at 7:45 p.m. and reached verdicts at 9 p.m. They found Smith guilty of first- and fourth-degree burglary. Judge Brian Shockley ordered the pre-sentence investigation.

Wilcox is scheduled to be arraigned in court on charges of first- and fourth-degree burglary and conspiracy to commit first-degree burglary on Feb. 5.

Leave a Comment