US 50 or Rt 404????

I am travelling to OC from west of DC and will be travelling across Bay Bridge on RT 50 headed for OC. Is Rt 404 through Delaware shorter 'time-wise' than US 50?? I will be travelling in on a Thursday evening and travelling back on Tuesday afternoon so I'll miss weekend traffic.

ocmdbob
    Sand Dollars

Sand Dollars
    I guess I have bounced around on both for the last 30 years and frankly it sometimes just depends on your mood or how the traffic looks. 404 is two lane and one of the more dangerous highways in Md. A lot of the Delaware beach goers take 404 so staying on 50 at times has its merits. There is a new bypass for rte. 50 around Salisbury which saves a good bit of time. I suppose if I was staying south of 30th street I would take 50. I suspect 404 is slightly faster but not enough to affect any plans. Enjoy the trip. The important thing is getting there.

Sand Dollars
    We have taken both and have decided that staying on 50 is better for us no matter where we are staying. If we are staying farther down we just take the 90 cut off but 404 just seems so much like back tracking and back roads.

Thank You all so much for the information!!

I guess I got a little confused because yahoo maps gave directions using 404....an it does 'appear' to me a shorter route mileage wise...but I was a little skeptical about the condition of the road.