Sign Up|Sign In|Contact|Advertise
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    Senior Member Z06RL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Sand Dollars

    Cruise In Weekend 2016

    We left at 6 a.m. on Thursday in thick, thick fog for OC and got there about 12:15 p.m. to bright sunshine and warmer temps. A stop at the Convention Center to pick up our passes and check out the displays inside and a bit of the auction (which was BORING and they didn't sell 1 car while we were there). Saw the Christine car and some other VERY nice cars on display. The vendors were fewer and not as interesting as in other years, but every year there are less. So we headed outside to see the cars and walk the vendor aisles and again......fewer vendors. Saw some great cars and the time passed quickly until check in time at the hotel. We sadly passed a terrible accident on 28th St. between a speeding motorcycle and a pick up truck.........the truck won and the young man lost his life. Tragic.
    We stayed at the Comfort Inn Boardwalk on 5th St. again and were pleased with the room and the hotel. Clean, well supplied, and ocean front overlooking the boardwalk which gave us a great spot to watch the parade Friday and Saturday mornings. After unpacking, we took a nice walk on the boards and then headed to Embers for the buffet. Coastal was still blocked off dealing with the accident scene so we had to take the long way around and back track to Embers. It was really a big disappointment this year. Crab legs were rubbery and dirty, chicken marsala and pepper steak were really bad, even the mac and cheese was overdone. Hubby was happy though because the lady who handed out HIS crab legs gave him the best ones that were red and cracked and came out in one piece! He enjoyed the mussels and clams and shrimp and the prime rib. I'm pretty sure that all he ate was meat. But that's normal for him. We took a nice ride up Coastal to Fenwick and enjoyed the evening, stopped at TJ Maxx for a pair of flip flops because my poor feet had about a half dozen blisters to deal with, and then filled up the gas tank before heading back to the hotel for the night.
    Friday morning, the parade was over 2 hours long and in bright warm sunshine. Finally. After breakfast at the hotel (it's a decent breakfast and complimentary) we trekked the 10 or so blocks down to the inlet, stopping along the way at Fisher's for a little box of caramel corn and wove our way through the line at Thrashers to get into the car show. Got some freebies from different vendors and won a little stuffed Geico gecko. After a couple hours walking around, we had lunch at Harrison's Harbor Watch. Hubby enjoyed the Angus burger that came with fries and cole slaw and a couple of Coors lite, and I had a bowl of the Maryland Crab Soup. Both were very good and the soup was filled with lots of lump crab and came with oyster crackers that added just enough salt to the soup.
    We spent the rest of the afternoon looking for a "special toy" that my grandson requested and settled on one at the Kite Loft. Granddaughter asked for Fisher's so that was an easy one. Dinner Friday night was at the Captain's Table. I can't say enough about how much we enjoy dining there. Nice atmosphere, really good food, soft pleasant piano music being played, and great service.
    We both opted for the 14oz Rib Steaks. Hubby had them add the scampi shrimp to his steak, both dinners came with huge salads filed with several types of lettuce, cucumbers, onions, tomatoes, shaved carrots, and croutons and very good dressings. They make their own bread and it's so good. Soft on the inside, crusty on the outside and served hot with plenty of butter. He had baked potato with his meal, I had mashed, and his "juice" on his plate made the perfect topping for my mashed. By the time we finished, we both wished we had room to eat more and were sorry it was all gone. Absolutely delicious and cooked to perfection.
    Stopped at Julia's for cannolis on the way back to the hotel in time to watch the Penguins game.
    Bad parts of the trip: Guy in the next room spent too much time on the balcony smoking (which probably wasn't allowed) and since I can't deal with smoke I spent a lot of the time missing the parade and hiding in the room with the door shut. And at 4 a;m. on Saturday the guy in the other adjoining room decided to have a party on his balcony with his buddies.
    There were WAY fewer dogs on the boards this year, but WAY MORE kids with Vape pipes. They aren't allowed on the boardwalk any more than cigarettes, but at least I wasn't getting cigarette smoke in my face.
    Didn't see one obscene t shirt! Plenty of police presence. Came home Saturday in the rain, but it was so nice to get away and have a pleasant trip.
    Ask an OC Insider

  2. #2
    Senior Member terp84alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Sand Dollars
    Nice write up. Thanks. The motorcyclist was running from the police even though they weren't chasing him. Play stupid games,...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Ocean City Maryland Hotels and Info for the Perfect OC Vacation |
Get SocialGet Social
Facebook Twitter Flickr Pinterest