Sand Dollars

Looking for OC Photos - 1950s to today

I'm working on a book on Ocean City history that will cover the period from about 1950 until today. I'm looking for interesting previously unpublished color photos of interesting Ocean City places, events, people, or other unique things. Some things I'm particularity looking for are pictures of:
    - Earlier versions of the Boardwalk Tram
    - Old mini golf courses, especially the Arctic Course near Somerset Street or or the Old Pro courses that used to be at 65th Street
    - Supersign! (The advertising boat from the 1980s)
    - Shantytown
    - 45th Street Village in the 1980s or 1990s
    - Gold Coast Mall in the 1980s
    - Morbid Manor
    - Boardwalk Businesses (Hess Dept Store, 9th Street Auction, Safari Shop, Edwards, etc.)
    - Hotels and Motels that are no longer around or significantly changed (Santa Maria, George Washington, Commander (old building), Miami Court, Stardust, Misty Harbor, Kittiwake, Salty Sands, Aloha, Weathervane, Nassau, etc.)
    - Restaurants that are no longer around (Samoa, Quarterdeck, Ships Cafe, Original Captain's Table, The Mast, The Golden Bull, Weitzel's, interiors of the boardwalk hotel dining rooms, etc.)
    - Playland amusement park on 65th Street
    - 64th Street Slide-n-ride waterslide
    - Construction of anything in OC, especially high-rise condo buildings
    - Beach replenishment
    - Aftermaths of storms
    - Older boardwalk places (9th Street block before the fire, Marty's Playland before the new sign, Sportland before the rebuild, older pictures of the pier building)
    - Trimper's, Jolly Roger's,Pier Rides or defunct amusemtn places, arcades, go cart tracks, waterslides, or similar
    - Older photos of events like Sunfest, Springfest, Cruisin', Sandcastle festival
    - Route 90 bridge construction
    - Older fishing head boats (Miss Ocean City, Captain Bunting, Angler, etc.)

I'd like to hear about any other interesting photos you might have that you'd be willing to share or any other topics you think I should consider.

If you are interested in helping, please post here or private message me.

Thanks!

Sand Dollars
    I'm sure there is a copyright issue involved but I enjoy browsing EBAY for old Ocean City photos and memorabilia. There are pages of old post cards and the Baltimore Sun or someone with them has listed 100's of old OC photos. Maybe you can work out some kind of deal. Good luck, and keep us posted please.

Sand Dollars
    John.....please excuse my lack of fancy computer lingo..... I googled "vintage ocean city md pictures" then hit Images. The first with the green trams is on somebody's Flickr (whateverthatis). Some have some really good ones. A google for "stinky beach" had arial shots of before and after the 1933 hurricane. I was out of town....used the Evacuation Route signs! Keep digging....sea ya.

Sand Dollars
    There's lots of great picts out on the internet, but I need to find one where original photographer is willing to release the image for publication just for the glory of being cited. I've contacted several internet sources as well as several OC business owners and had some reasonable luck. I'm hoping that this site can be another fruitful source.

I've found a few places that will release images, but only for a fee, often over $100/image. I'd have to pay these fees myself, and since I don't expect to make much on this project, those arrangements won't work.

Sand Dollars
    Best of luck to you on this exciting journey!
    Founder, Trimpers Haunted House Online - http://ochh.net
    Co Founder, The Bill Tracy Project - http://billtracy.net

Sand Dollars

Sand Dollars
    Just curious OCGuy,

How's the progress on the book coming?

I'm a big fan of OC history, and I've been able to collect just about every book published on the subject (the exception is OC Before Condos). I also have the two DVDs available at the OCLSSM (Once Upon a Sand Dune and the March '62 Storm).

So, needless to say, once your book is published, it won't be too long before it's on my bookshelf.

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for asking. Still working on the book and targeting a release in about a year. The Vanishing Ocean City book by Bunk Mann - which is a masterpiece - set me back a bit as it included much of what I was thinking about including. However, I'm still interested in getting photos of the items listed above (and anything else interesting related to OC) from anyone who has them. I need to get them from the owner, as my publisher needs to ensure I have the right to have them published.

Any contributions would be much appreciated!

Sand Dollars
    Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, I didn't really start concentrating on taking pictures in OC until about 2001. So, unfortunately, I couldn't be of much help. I might have pictures of the fronts of the Ocean Plaza Mall and Gold Coast Mall from 1998.

Sand Dollars
    I'm a local geographer and I have access to a lot of historical imagery. I've reviewed imagery that goes back to the '30s. PM me if you are interested.