Sand Dollars

65th Street Slide & Ride

This time next week, the 65th street Slide & Ride will be demolished. I was able to snap a quick photo gallery this morning of crews hauling away old equipment and dismantling the miniature golf course. The classic park has been in operation for over 30 years.

http://ochh.net/slideandride.html

bigdff
    Sand Dollars

Re: 65th Street Slide & Ride

Very sad. I remember my dad taking me and my brother there for the evening slide special 25 years ago when we were kids. Very good memories. What is it being replaced by?

Sand Dollars

Wow. Very depressing. I have the same memories as bigdff. Was the 65th Street Side and Ride ever a part of Playland? I have very vague memories of Playland as a young child, and I seem to recall that they were located on the same block. I also think the Slide and Ride sign is an old Playland sign if I'm not mistaken. I will have fond memories of the Sui-slide.

Sand Dollars

Wow, we used to take our kids there. What's going in? More condos? Ocean City just can't keep taking away things for families to do and not replace them with something similar or better. There's enough empty condos down there, they don't need more.

Sand Dollars

Wow, I slide on this ride from the time it opened and my kids have enjoyed it every summer since the. Crowds had been down a bit, but it still seemed to do a decent business. I was down in OC this weekend and saw the backhoe back there, but just figured it was stored there. I had no idea the place was closing. I wonder if they will tear down the hill. I always figured this was the highest land elevation in OC.

Montegoman is roughly correct. Playand was actually a block north of the slide, behind what s now the Government Center, but the sign is the remnants of Playland's sign, which originally stood along Coastal Highway. You can see Playland and the water slide in this c1980 picture: http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/1504908088081342495ILNpsV [url=http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/1504908088081342495ILNpsV]

Anyone know what is going there? It is so close to the sewage plant Condos would probably not be good there.

Sand Dollars

While I haven't been there since I was about fifteen, I have a lot of fond memories there. My parents used to take my sister and I there all the time. It's a shame to see it go because it was a more affordable alternative to Jolly Roger.

Another OC landmark gone.

Sand Dollars

65th street slide & ride

Does anyone have a t shirt from the 65th street slide & ride? I'd like to use it to make a memory quilt.