Thread: Cabanas

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Re: Cabanas

I agree. I think they should be required to only be along the fence line. Not any closer.

Sand Dollars

Now that's something I would support. It's almost obnoxious claiming front row seats early in the AM and not returning until 11 or 12 for the day. By that time the beach is all packed like sardines and it's just rude.

Take that elitism to the back of the beach! LOL All for it and some people can make a little money too.

Sand Dollars

Hmm what an interesting debate. I don't know how I Feel about this. I usually swim at least once daily when it's summer time, if nothing else, it's really refreshing when I have been standing on the boardwalk in the heat about ready to melt. Watch out for that sand though, it gets HOT.

I guess it would be ok if they had to set them up back away from the water.

Sand Dollars

Not knowing exactly how these things look or are designed, my worry would be a sudden storm. I'm very familiar with the instant up canopies used at the races I officiate and they become large, very dangerous flying objects during a thunder storm if not property tied down. What happens when a thunder storms hits and these cabanas start flying around at people.

Sand Dollars

Exactly right Flaggerjohn. I've had my umbrella take off once and it terrified me for fear of it hitting a child or anyone for that matter. I have a feeling though that if they get permission they will be limited to the fence line. Let's face it, condo owners who are on lower floors aren't going to be happy to have their ocean views cut off or limited because of big tents and cabanas up close to the ocean . Heck they probably won't be happy anyhow, but that would really limit their views. But from what I gather from what I read, only the rental companies will be allowed to put them up, and it's not even a done deal yet. It's just a proposal.

To be honest, the more I think about it, the less I like the idea.

Sand Dollars

Cabanas can't go beyond 26th Street, so that protects most condo owners.

I don't think it will ever come about. Most structures that big in OC must be hurricaine braced so the cabanas will most likely fall under the building inspectors.

Also, I'm sure the insurance will be cost prohibitive.

Sand Dollars

Also, I'll add that based on the pricing of the chairs and umbrellas, I bet the cabanas will run upwards of $50 so I don't see a huge market in them.

Sand Dollars

I agree that there might not be much of a market for them. BUT, I also remember that boogie boards used to be quite expensive to rent until the need decreased. Then they became pretty cheap. If a company is going to invest the money to buy these cabanas, they will certainly rent them at a low price rather than have them sit in a locker all day and not make any money off of them.

And Sandyclaws, they are only being rented up to 26th Street THIS YEAR. If they become a popular rental item, don't think they wont start renting them on every street from the inlet to Delaware.

Sand Dollars

Okay,now I'm confused. I must have missed where it said they were only allowed up to 26th St. What I read says that 16 of the rental stands between the inlet and 26th St have been recently auctioned or sold. Don't those rental boxes go the whole 10 mile length of the beach? And I didn't see anyplace that mentioned they would only be along the boardwalk or to 27th St. Or was that in an article in a newspaper that I missed?

Sand Dollars

I thought the same thing Z. I just figured Sandclaws read something somewhere and knew what he/she was talking about.