Thread: Cabanas

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Sand Dollars

Re: Cabanas

Here's the WHOLE story:
    Larger Beach Cabanas Headed For Ocean CityFebruary 04, 2011
    Written By: Joanne Shriner, Staff Writer

OCEAN CITY – The beaches this summer may start to look more like southern resorts as the Mayor and City Council approved this week beach equipment rental stands’ desire to rent out larger cabanas.

Sixteen of Ocean City’s beach equipment rental stands, located between the Inlet and 26th Street, have been recently auctioned and sold in three-year contracts.

http://www.mdcoastdispatch.com/articles/2011/02/04/Top-Stories/Larger-Beach-Cabanas-Headed-For-Ocean-City[Edit Admin - for copyrighted material please provide a link to the original article.]Apparently the smaller cabanas have been approved since 2009. This new request is for the larger cabanas and must be 50 feet from the west side of the lifegurard stand, and only 5 cabanas per block. And apparently the fact that the owners were losing money renting the small ones (nobody wanted them) prompted the request for request for larger ones. So they may only be around for a year or two if nobody rents them.

Sand Dollars

The big element of the story is that there can only be 5 cabanas per block. That could make these cabanas tolerable. I just wonder how they are going to enforce it.

Sand Dollars

Before you judge the "squatters" who drag their stuff up early and arrive later, I have one question: have you ever had to put bathing suits and sunblock on 4 excited kids under the age of 10? That is why I am not arriving until noon.

Sand Dollars

Britt- Im not sure but maybe each beach stand per block will only have 5 cabanas each for rent.

Sand Dollars

Good point IMK, never thought of that being the way they would police it.

Sand Dollars

I'm curious as to how they will enforce it if INDIVIDUALS bring and set up their own cabanas rather than just the ones that are rented. Let's face it, some people will go to the beach, see the cabanas and say "hey, I like those! I'm going to put one up too!" never knowing that they are privately owned and rented out.

Sand Dollars

Ugggghhhh Z!!!! I never would have thought about that!! Now I'm right back where I started, worrying about getting to the water!!! : ))

Sand Dollars

Well, we're probably all making a big mountain out of a molehill. Do I want to see large pop ups and cabanas on the beach? Absolutely not. And if they become a problem, the best thing we all can do is to complain to the OC powers that be.

But what would really make me stand up and cause a stink is if they ever decide to do like they do in NJ and PAY to go onto the beach. THAT would tick me off.

Sand Dollars

True Z. It could be worse.

Sand Dollars

I could see a certain misuse of these cabanas coming into play. Question is, is there a minimum occupancy rule set for these? I'm thinking that if I wanted to, I could rent one of these (just by myself) and that would give me at least 87" of space on the beach plus a foot or two more outside of the cabana because let's face it, most people won't set up at the edge of someone else's cabana. I'm thinking this will only add to the crowding. If it is allowed, I agree with limiting the number allowed to be used at once and they should have to place them at a certain distance behind the lifeguard chairs.