Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Widening the dunes?

It sure looks that way from where I am. Photo taken from my balcony on 83rd St.

Sand Dollars

Re: Widening the dunes?

They lost so much of the dunes in the winter storms that they have to rebuild the beach in phases. The whole beach needs replenished. When we were there two weeks ago, there were areas of the beach with no beach at all at high tide. You would have to put a chair on the dunes to sit oceanside. But before they can rebuild the beach, they have to provide protection to the properties first. Without the dunes to protect the city, it would all be under water if another big nor'easter blows in.

Sand Dollars

Sand Dollars

lbo, when did you take the pacture above and where? It looks like about 40th street. You must be an "old-timer" to refer to tthis area as "North Ocean City," but that is exactely what it was commonlly called until the early 1970s!

Sand Dollars

The tall building in the background is The Avalon (I think that's what it's called?) where the old Billy's was. That's on around 140th or so, I guess this was taken around 130th or so, and it was I think Feb. We had so many Nor' Easters this year, and they were back to back. The beach got pummelled.

I am not THAT old school LOL. Started my life here as a Sophmore in High School 1987 Weitzels Restautrant 51st. They were installing that brick median strip down coastal highway at that time, my early memories of the town haha.

ocjoymac10

No way that's 130th-140th street??? The Avalon is only 5 floors??

Sand Dollars

That picture is amazing. When we were in OC three weeks ago we were staying on 33rd St. and that's exactly the way the beach looked outside our room too. It might take years to bring the whole beach back.

Sand Dollars

I don't think that is taken from 130th...that is not the view I see from 133rd.

Sand Dollars

Update on beach rebuild project. It looks like there is no widening of the dunes as it seemed earlier. Dune crossing posts were installed yesterday in the same places as before. There is still about a 20' wide section past the dunes that is 2-3' higher than the groomed beach and today the plowed a path down to the beach from each crossing so you don't have to navigate the "cliff". I have a photo but am having problems loading it. When I can figure out what is the problem, I'll post it.

Sand Dollars

In the picture above the big building is the Gateway Grand. The yellow building is the Econo Lodge on 45th. The white building south of the yellow building is the marinier condo. This was defintly taken from around 40th or 42nd street.