PDA

View Full Version : Quality Inn Beachfront 33rd Street

chelle695
01-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Hello Everyone,
Sorry for all the inquiries. Has anyone stayed at the Quality Inn Beachfront on 33rd street? Is it clean? Are the outdoor pools a nice size and clean? Thanks so much!

pghDave
01-10-2004, 07:52 PM
I have some previous messages posted here about the Quality Inn Beachfront, you may find them with a search here.

To make a long story short, we'eve stayed there the past 3-4 years and will be returning again this year. We find the Hotel itself to be pretty well maintained (by OC standards) and the location is great. The parking garage is large enough and having some indoor parking when loading and unloading all your vacation supplies is really kind of nice.

To answer your specific question the two outdoor pools are nice sized. We've found the beach-level pool to be dirtier than the other outdoor pool which is on the 4th floor roof area. It's not yucky but there's more sand, dirt and debris in it from the wind etc. I've never seen the outside pools too crowded to use. The beach level pool is also shared with the hotel next door which is has the same owner and it has a slightly different clientel than does the QI. The 4th floor pool is quite nice in that you have a view of the bay and can catch sunsets easily.

Believe it or not by only gripe with this hotel is that many of the rooms no longer have screen doors on their balconies. We like to sleep with the door open and ejoy the breeze sounds and would prefer to have a screen door (especially if we're ever there with the flies).

chelle695
01-11-2004, 04:32 PM
Thanks so much for your reply! I feel very good about booking our vacation there this year. I read the posts on the forum but I cannot tell if they are this location or others http://forum.maryland.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif) Thanks so much again!

chelle695
06-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Hi there, Well since I orginally posted this asking about this hotel I figured I should give a review since just returning from vacation there. Let me start by saying that I have been going to ocean city all of my life and I know you are going to pay pretty much money for any hotel you go to down there and I have stayed at all kinds of hotels but tend to stick to the chain hotels hoping they have some sort of standards to abide by but not this one!
I would NEVER stay at this hotel again! Many of the "amenities" it lists are non-existant. For starters the outdoor pool is there and is okay, very dirty with sand from the beach and it is only 3 1/2 feet deep but is a nice size. The indoor pool and jacuzzi you would not catch me in if someone paid me. There was a dirty brown ring around the entire inside pool and jacuzzi. The 2nd outdoor pool that seemed like it would be the nicer of the 2 on the 4th floor was closed for renovation. Our vacation did not get off to a good start at all, we were early and realized check in was at 3pm and wanted some beach time so that was not a problem but at 315 when we went to check in they said our room was not ready and they didn't want to bother the housekeeper to find out when it would be ready. Then as I was getting ready to reply the lady behind the desk told me that our room was now ready so she handed me the keys and we went up to our room. We get up there and the door is wide open and noone there and the room is totally a mess. So we walk in cautiously and the housekeeper comes in with a very bad attitude and asks what we are doing there and we will have to sit on the balcony until she is done. Half an hour later she finally let us come back in and when I first walked in I must have been so distracted with how rude she was that I did not even take a good look at the room itself. It definately looked COMPLETELY different than the brochure and what was online! What was online was very tasteful but what was in the room was definately very out of date and the furniture was all mismatched and looked like something bought at a flea market. The so called sofabed was completely filthy and disgusting along with the chair. The stained once white bedspread had 2 HUGE holes in it. The kitchen was equipped with dishes and utenzils all very dirty and abused and I would never think to use them. Then I go over to check our air condition setting because it seemed a little warm in there and it was set at 50 so I figured it would take a while. It got cool in the room but it was not operating correctly because it was so extremely humid in the room that everything was wet to the touch. I did complain but got nowhere. Some upsides though they are few is the parking garage was very convenient, the rooms were large and there was a full bathroom and a half bath and there was a very nice view of the beach from the balcony. Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to be as detailed as possible for those of you still deciding where to stay.

pjkwas
07-13-2004, 07:13 AM
Let us know what you think about the hotel...Rooms, pool etc..

pjkwas
07-21-2004, 10:06 AM
...I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Suites on 17th now.

pghDave
08-03-2004, 06:33 PM
I have to admit to being surprised and a bit worried by the recent comments about the QI Beachfront. We've always enjoyed our stay there but know that one season can make a lot of difference in these kinds of hotels.

However, I'm happy to report that we had another excellent experience at the QI on 33rd. None of the types of problems chelle reported. Our room was very clean, very updated and the housekeeping staff took good care of us all 9 days!! ;-) I will admit that I've always found the outside first floor pool dirty (sand and beach crud) and was glad that the 4th floor pool was open during our stay. We had such great weather during our stay that we spent little time in the pools or at the hotel in general.

As all the ads always say your miles may vary but we'll be back to the QI on 33rd again next year (provided the construction doesn't pose too big of a problem if it starts where the Ramada is today).

I'll have to post some other information from our trip but it was the best year yet! Had a great time.

CravenOC
08-03-2004, 11:40 PM
My family and I have been going to OC for 6 years now. Always during the first or second week during August. Which, I must admit seem to some of the busiest weeks of the summer. We have always found condos to be our best bet. Since, their are 6 of us, we enjoy the comforts of a home. Cooking breakfast in the morning and returning for lunch from the beach. I don't understand the reasoning for staying in a hotel or motel. We dine out for dinner, but cooking our other meals saves us alot of money. Which makes it possible for us to stay in an ocean fromt condo with all the amenities of home. Which have always proven to my budget to be the best bet. Also, finding a condo that is not listed for rent from a realtor, is almost always cheaper. I love Ocean City and as soon as we return to Pa I start planning our family vacation for the up and coming summer. Sorry to hear about your crappy hotel experience. So far, we have not yet had a bad condo experience. We ususally stay on 62nd street at the Calipso. Awesome.

CravenOC
08-03-2004, 11:43 PM
My family and I are heading to Ocean City on August 7th - Aug 14th. Can't wait to hit the beach, smell the salty air, and enjoy the nightlife!

Ed
08-04-2004, 06:44 AM
Some people feel that when they are on vacation they do not want to do "ANY" cooking and leave the cooking to someone else. Just because you decide to squeeze a few bucks don't question why someone decides not to choose your method to try and save a buck.

pghDave
08-04-2004, 07:16 PM
All one has to do is look at how many hotels there are in OC and how many condos there are and you'll know that there are PLENTY of people that find both attractive for their stays. It may not be a religious debate but it'll probably come pretty close.

I prefer the hotel option and intentionally shy away from places with strictly condo or house rentals. Why? I like arriving and departing mid week, beats some of the traffic. I like having professional housekeepers clean up after me while on vacation. (It'd be nice year-round but I settle for it on vacation!) We NEVER cook a single meal while on vacation so while our hotel has a stove too it goes unused. We'll nuke some leftovers for a snack but there are too many good places to eat in OC, I can't waste a night eating in! ;-) The next closest we come is opening the Fractured Prune box at breakfast time and pouring some milk.

On the other hand I would enjoy the larger space a condo offers but for me the decision each year has been easy. I also guess that since I've never had a bad OC Hotel experience (knock on wood) I'm not motivated to change.

Now when I retire to OC (or figure out a way to live there while I'm still working) then I'll do the condo/house thing. Although the owner of the QI Beachfront has an incredible suite in his hotel which he uses when he stays in OC. His son has an even nicer suite which seems to sit unused a lot. So, if I hit the powerball maybe I won't have to give up my hotel even as a local. Yeah!

Enjoy your stay in OC no matter where you stay.

mike022
08-04-2004, 07:36 PM
I too like the hotel deal. The condo's are nice but you have to bring your own linens/tp and other things that hotels supply. I also like the maid service every day and i like the smaller rooms that hotels offer,sort of makes it different than your house.So for a week or two I d do the hotel any longer than it may be worth the condo.

CravenOC
08-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Honestly and truly it has nothing to do with saving a buck! Maybe, from my orignal message it seems that way. But, when you get up in the morning whenever you feel like it!!!! (because we always take a nanny with us!). It's just nice to spend time with your family making meals together and enjoying them.

I didn't mean to upset anyone with my comments. I was just saying how my family and I enjoy Ocean City together. And staying in a condo has made the time we are together: witout work, home life, and any nagging makes meals together enjoyable.

Wasn't trying to knock staying in hotels or motels, staying in a condo has just always been the most fun for me, my family and friends.

See ya soon, OC!!!!!!

CravenOC
08-04-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks for being a little more objective than Ed! It seems that I have upset him, because he thinks I'm cheap!! Not the case! While we vacation in OC, we enjoy many activities other than the beach: Jet sking, sea fishing, the boardwakl, dining out as a family for dinner and etc.

Maybe it has somethingto do with both of us being from PA!!! Hope you've checked out the Salty Dog while visiting OC. Great STEELER bar.

Thanks for your thoughts. So far the weather is looking great for our stay in OC!!! Let you know when we return. Surfs Up!!

CravenOC
08-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Also Ed, I forgot to mention, my condo has an outdoor swinmming pool, (which I must say, is very clean). Also the place isn't like home exactly, it's not my place. I just have the amemities of home, if I want to use them!!

I'm sure you've staying at your hotel and wished you had a washing machine and/or dryer to wash your beach towels or that favorite outfit!!! So forgive mei if I'm wrong, but I've found condos are the way to go!!!

Loving OC anyways!!! See ya soooooon!!!!!!

Ed
08-05-2004, 07:24 AM
CravenOC..Your original post seemed to come across at second guessing people who choose to stay in Hotels,Motels. For the record, your post did not upset me, I really do not care where you or anyone else stays. Fortunately for me and my family we owned a Townhouse for the last 16 years so we do not have to stay at any of those places.

ErinMC3
08-09-2004, 06:15 PM
Maybe it has somethingto do with both of us being from PA!!! Hope you've checked out the Salty Dog while visiting OC. Great STEELER bar.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!! :). LOVE the Salty Dog Saloon!! We're usually there when a pre-season game is on and always go down to the Salty Dog. We're going to miss it this year though since a game will be on 9/2 and we'll be arriving in OC on 9/3.

Ed just loves the Steelers, don't ya?? Loved having the Steelers/Raves conversation with you last season :).

Ed
08-10-2004, 05:54 AM
Hi Erin....You know the Ravens are going to pound "Pitsburgh" this go around. Who is that Backup quarterback that decide to come to the darkside. I was in the Saltydog in June, we were in a fastpitch softball tournament and decided to have lunch and stopped in there and the best part was there was a Ravens nest group in there rubbing it in, it was great.

ErinMC3
08-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Ed, Ed, Ed... 9/19 can't get here soon enough.