PDA

View Full Version : Grand Stowaway Hotel

WEF
08-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Has anyone used the Grand Stowaway Hotel on 21st? The website says there is a garage. is there enough parking and is the parking convenient to the room? Was your stay at the Grand a grand experience? How were the prices in their restaurant and lounge? Thanks for replies.

paige14824
08-09-2003, 05:01 PM
hi, we just left OC on Thursday and we stayed at the Grand. This was our first time ever in OC and staying at the grand made it even nicer.

The people who worked there was very nice.

We ate breakfast everymorning there..it was an all you can eat buffet..$8.95 a person.
I can't help you with the lounge, we have a 4 year old and couldn't go to the lounge...too busy doing other things.

As far as the garage..it is right beside the hotel.

do you have grand view or premiere view? We had premiere view and had a balcony over looking the boardwalk, beach and ocean. It was very nice.

Also, other than the lounge, there is also...
gift shops, pizzeria, salon, and a few other shops...all in the hotel.

We had a great time there. Hope you enjoy it.

WEF
08-11-2003, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. I made the reservations this morning and asked for oceanfront. The reservation lady gave me the Premier view room but some mumbo jumbo about a boardwalk view and yes, I could see the ocean. For some reason she wouldn't use the common description "ocean front". It seems to me overlooking the boardwalk is going to be ocean front. It's all OK with me but I don't understand why she wouldn't use the words "ocean front". Any ideas?

paige14824
08-11-2003, 06:34 PM
not really sure, just how they word it I guess.
When are you going to be there?

Hope you have a good time..and hope the weather is great for you.

If you do anything in the hotel...I suggest eating breakfast in the restaurant in the hotel.

Really good, and they will even make fresh waffles for you, regular or chocolate.

paige14824
08-11-2003, 06:37 PM
i forgot...let me know how you liked your stay in the hotel when you get back.

I really hope my recommendation turns out good for you.

jane marsh
08-12-2003, 06:34 AM
maybe I can clear up some of the confusion on why she did not say "oceanfront". The Grand by the way is a magnificent hotel with several floors. The shape of the hotel is like a half circle. Some of the rooms are on the side that face the boardwalk and if you look to the left or right you can see the ocean, depending on which side you are on. Any view that you have on this side will be a wonderful sight, so I don't think you'll be disappointed. The parking garage is right next to the hotel and there are always spots available.There are several shops below the hotel on the boardwalk but thet are very expensive. The pizza place is very expensive and the food is not that great.Enjoy your stay!

pghDave
08-13-2003, 05:17 PM
I have another question about the Grand. We're thinking of staying there next year but the balconies don't appear to be private. Is that the case? Not that we do anything that exciting on our balcony but if I have a premiere view room there I'm gonna want to sleep with the balcony door open and that means some privacy. What's the deal with the Grand's balconies?

nlfissel
08-14-2003, 08:48 AM
I have never stayed at the Grand, but by in passing I noticed at first that the balconies are divided by a metal divider that is more like a fence, which you can see the people next door. However, I believe that they had put non-transparent covering over this to make the balconies more private. I would call the hotel and ask about the balcony configuration to make sure.

WEF
08-15-2003, 12:50 PM
I just got back from a two night stay at the Grand and it is amusing that you mentioned the balconies. That is the only downside to the place. The divider is a metal scroll-work with a translucent fabric covering the lower portion. It affords zero privacy. I had a "Premier" room and it was very nice with about as good a view of the ocean and boardwalk as you can get. The hotel staff is helpful and courteous. The parking garage was a huge plus for me as I'm a bit protective of my car. Wide parking places and many of them. I tried to take page14824's advice about the breakfast buffet but there is an all night café on the first floor and by breakfast time I was still full of ice cream. My neighbors across the non existing balcony divider did say that the breakfast was very good. I will go back to the Grand in the Fall.

ocharleychick
10-05-2003, 02:02 AM
I use to work at the Grand. The reason they don't use the term OceanFront is because of the shape of the building, some of the rooms are not directly facing the ocean. And when most people hear oceanFront that is what the want direct ocean front. Its a great place alittle pricey, but well worth it. http://forum.maryland.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

chelle695
12-31-2003, 12:23 PM
My husband and I stayed at the Stowaway this past fall and it was WONDERFUL! The staff was very friendly and the rooms were extremely clean. They have a huge parking garage so there is always plenty of parking.

mike022
09-06-2004, 01:28 PM
just got back from five nights at the grand. found the place to be wonderful.absoltuly spectatuclar view of the ocean from our tenth floor room.just gorgeous as you open your door to enter the room and all you see is ocean! as for the balconies it was sort of wierd not being private,but im thinking they left them open like that so you could have an unobstructed view to the sides.
as far as the employees everyone was wonderful there,helpful,nice any other positive adjective throw in there.the place was spotless. this was 20 dollars cheaper a night than the quality inn boardwalk i stayed at last year and this place is 20 million times the hotel.
only advise if you like to look at people on the boardwalk be a few floors lower as the tenth is a little high for true people watching.

Z06RL
09-07-2004, 10:31 AM
We stayed at the Grand in May for Cruise In and loved it. It was so nice to just be able to go down in the morning, pick up coffee and a roll for breakfast at the 24 hour coffee shop, and sit on the boardwalk at one of the bistro tables they have set up. You could rent a bike right around the corner, take a walk, or just sit and watch the sun come up and the people go by. The open balconies didn't bother me a bit. That place is so big, that I only saw my "neighbors" once and that was when we watched the cars parade on the boardwalk. The only bad thing I can say about the place is that I didn't like their breakfast buffet. The eggs were cold, the bacon hard, and the toast overdone . Might have just been a bad day. All in all, we will definitely stay there again.

pghDave
09-07-2004, 08:13 PM
So you folks didn't find the "non private" balconies a problem? As I've mentioned before I really thought the Grand would be a great place to stay but if we're down there with a full hotel in July the bonding experience bugs me. I'm sure I'd get some loser for a neighbor! ;-)

How non private are they -- can you see hear more than one down in either direction? Can you sleep with your balcony door open and feel safe or could your neigbors climb in if they so desired?

It's not that we do anything particularly exciting on our balcony but if I want to be rubbing elbows with people I go to the boardwalk or seacrets. But most everything else about the Grand seems really nice.

Z06RL
09-07-2004, 11:28 PM
It's hard to explain the balconies. The whole building is curved,so you can see a neigboring balcony on each side. Beyond that, it's difficult. No, no one can climb into your room. There are mesh screens on each balcony and each one is about 20 feet wide or more. Go to their website and check out the virtual tours. They show you the view from the balcony so you can see for yourself. www.stowawaygrandhotel.com. You won't regret staying there.

mike022
09-26-2004, 09:54 AM
we had some tools on both sides of us and that was a drag.the only downside of the whole experience.

Jdo_224
07-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Yes, WEll I stay in the Grand hotel every year because of my family tournament and ts really nice we stay on the 11th floor and i like it everythime the views are great and you can get conjoining rooms thats cool if youre going with 2 or more familys =] and yes there are two pools one in and one out i love it there and i think we are staying there once again thjis year. i never get tired of the Grand stowaway hotel and yes there is a parking garage on 20th street next to the hotel yes it is hugee 4 floors of parking but its only for residents of the hotel / and there are elevatores and staires etc. If you Go
Enjoy =]