PDA

View Full Version : Offseason News

OCJay
11-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Everyone knows the Shark is gone and now another one bites the dust. The doors of Iguana Surf were padlocked on November 1st.
(Perhaps Old News but I think they are somehow related. Maybe Shark will open at Iguana).

This fall is weird in OC. Very slow and gloomy down there. People all worried
about smoking ban. Except the non smoking bars. Seacrets is now closed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Bull on the Beach closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Buxys is closed Tuesday and Wednesday. Greene Turtle and Crabcake Factory are about the only decent places open full time uptown.

Places on the way out: Bootys doing nothing. Steer Inn in Ocean Pines doing nothing. Dungeon downtown wont make it. Whiskers in OC, amazed it hasnt closed yet. Galaxy 66....no chance.

BTW Crabcake Factory is rumored to be opening in Ocean Pines or West OC soon.

Leighton Moore of Seacrets has retired and left the business to be run by his daughter and longtime manager Ricco Rossi. Seacrets employees are PISSED that they are closed three days a week. Harborside has once again put off remodeling this winter. They did tear down the house next door for more parking. Southside Deli in Pines bought the space they have been renting for many years so they will stay but the West OC location is STILL for sale.

Vineyard in Ocean Pines is terrible and I cannot see how they or Marina Deck can stay open much longer. Whiskers Ocean Pines is still doing well but we'll see what happens after the smoking ban goes into effect.

Not sure if they will ever get the smoke smell out of: Kirbys, Island Cafe, Bull on the Beach, BJ's on the Water or Liquid Assets...

Till next time....

OCJay

Kwhit
11-07-2007, 06:07 PM
Thanks Jay,keep us posted,again thanks!

Kevin

mink66
11-08-2007, 07:33 AM
Seacrets is now closed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Wow! Is that why they abruptly stopped the Tuesday night stand-up comedy?

terrapin05
11-08-2007, 07:44 AM
Booty's really seemed like they had a decent place when they first opened, good location, good gimmick, decent crowd, but the management or lack thereof kills them. We went one New Year's Eve and the place was a mess, no management, they had promised tables to people and then wanted to move the tables for the dance floor. Dumb. We tried to go a few times offseason but the place didn't open til 4. Then another time the whole place was on vacation. People don't go back to a place they don't know is open or not.

Whiskers is my closest watering hole and I like the place and people. I was excited when new folks took it over but the food has not really been impressive.

Don't know how the Dungeon made it this long.

Iguana Surf hasn't been out there, what, two years or so?

Is Crabman's open offseason up north? Tequila or Duffy's?

ravenman
11-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Not sure if they will ever get the smoke smell out of: Kirbys, Island Cafe, Bull on the Beach, BJ's on the Water or Liquid Assets...
OCJay

That is SO true about Island Cafe. The place has great food at decent prices but the smoke is the thing that keeps me away. I think even the Marlboro man would be overwhelmed.:p

mink66
11-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Is Crabman's open offseason up north? Tequila or Duffy's?

I believe Tequila Mockingbird is open every night except Tuesdays and Wednesdays in the off season right now.

Kds53098
11-08-2007, 01:24 PM
That would be a real shame is Marina Deck doesn't survive. I think it's a nice place with a great view and very good food.

They also have some terrific happy hour specials.

However, even during the summer months, the place never seems to be all that crowded. I just don't get it.

mink66
11-08-2007, 01:39 PM
That would be a real shame is Marina Deck doesn't survive. I think it's a nice place with a great view and very good food.

They also have some terrific happy hour specials.

However, even during the summer months, the place never seems to be all that crowded. I just don't get it.

I believe OCJay is referring to Marina Deck's second location in Pennington Commons across from the Ocean Pines South Gate on Rt. 589.

I'm also pretty sure the original location in Ocean City closes down during the off season anyway.

mommom
11-08-2007, 02:01 PM
Thank you for the update...I am sure off season is hard on business. but that is the way it it.. plus a reason why the prices are so high during the summer season...Gotta make the hay when the sun shines.... I am taking a few of the grandkids down over Thanksgiving Weekend to see the Holiday Lights,..anyone know a Non busy time to go? we went last year. (not sure what weekend) and waited 4 ever.. would hate to have to repeat that, with a lively 2 year old, and impatient 9 year old!!! thanks.

ravenman
11-08-2007, 02:29 PM
Mommom, go just as its getting dark, while people are still eating dinner. We have gone around that time and never had more than a 10 minute wait. It should be dark enough around 6:00. If you are down on Thanksgiving night that is another good time to go.

7:00 or later will get very crowded.

Kds53098
11-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Thank you Mink. I didn't realize there was a second location.

shortchange1026
11-15-2007, 02:11 PM
me neither..I'd hate to have that place close as well..my husband and I have been there a few times for dinner and loved it..especially the crab pretzel!!:D

mommom
11-16-2007, 08:57 AM
Thanks raven,,,that is when we thought we would go..i see it starts at 5;30..so 6;00 we will do!!!!:)

OCJay
11-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Update:

Marina Deck in Ocean Pines is now offering Buy One Get One on FRIDAY NIGHT. Beginning of the end? They still had no business Friday. Hmmm?

Steer Inn is for Sale Already. Bad Sign.

Crabcake Factory has rejected taking over citing too much money for nothing.
Former Iguana Surf owner Rod Rippon is reportly trying to make a deal.
The Shark has also made an offer. But they are still rumoured to be heading to West OC.

Rumour has Crabcake Factory opening a Tex Mex in Ocean Pines called Crabcake Cantina or somethign similar.

Whiskers in Ocean Pines just may be the most disgusting place over the bridge. I dont know how anyone can eat there. The smoke will literally knock you over. If you saw the Chef and the Kitchen you'd stay away. Next time take a look around at the ceilings and walls. Hasnt been cleaned in years. The owner "Audi" simply does not care and gets hammered every night. Bad News.

This is my first full winter living down here and let me say its pretty dead right now. There is lots of time to investigate the climate.

OCjay

Stay Tuned.

OCJay
11-17-2007, 08:53 AM
Update:

Marina Deck in Ocean Pines is now offering Buy One Get One on FRIDAY NIGHT. Beginning of the end? They still had no business Friday. Hmmm?

Steer Inn is for Sale Already. Bad Sign.

Crabcake Factory has rejected taking over citing too much money for nothing.
Former Iguana Surf owner Rod Rippon is reportly trying to make a deal.
The Shark has also made an offer. But they are still rumoured to be heading to West OC.

Rumour has Crabcake Factory opening a Tex Mex in Ocean Pines called Crabcake Cantina or something similar.

Whiskers in Ocean Pines just may be the most disgusting place over the bridge. I dont know how anyone can eat there. The smoke will literally knock you over. If you saw the Chef and the Kitchen you'd stay away. Next time take a look around at the ceilings and walls. Hasnt been cleaned in years. The owner "Audi" simply does not care and gets hammered every night. Bad News.

This is my first full winter living down here and let me say its pretty dead right now. There is lots of time to investigate the climate.

OCjay

Stay Tuned.

NY-MD
11-18-2007, 10:00 AM
"This is my first full winter living down here and let me say its pretty dead right now. There is lots of time to investigate the climate."

OCJAY:

I for one would like to hear about your impressions and time in OC over the Winter. Many folks make the decision to make OC their year round home without ever understanding the drastic change the area goes through from in season to off season.

I have traveled down several times each month of the year over the course of 30+ years and understand just how "dead" or quiet the area can get.

Is this your full time residence?
What is daily life like in OC during the Winter months?
Was it what YOU expected?

I would think anyone planning to make OC their year round home should spend a few Winter months there before taking the final step.

Thanks for the Winter update makes for interesting reading.

Happy Thanksgiving.

fidobuster
11-19-2007, 09:17 AM
thanks for the updated ocjay and keep them coming. this is one of the more interesting threads on the board in a while.

fidobuster.

OCJay
11-20-2007, 03:10 PM
I have had a condo on 120th Street in Ocean City for about seven years. In case you hadnt guessed I am in the foodservice business. I have run restaurants my whole life and I am a partner in a Cajun Cafe in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. I dont work down there. I am a silent partner. (I own the liquor license).

By trade I am a trained Chef but havent been in a kitchen in 3-4 years.

I own a seafood wholesale company and I am thinking of starting a business near Ocean City. I recently starting renting out my condo, sold my house and bought a house in Ocean Pines. My wife is an accountant who took a job in Ocean City in May.

I guess about a month ago I noticed the change in the general climate in the town. As the weather gets colder it gets sort of gloomy. I spent alot of time down here about 5 years ago in the winter and it never seemed so bad.

There are a few places who do a good job in the winter and they all seem to have alot of cliques but if you hanf around enough they get to know you.
Everyone I have talked is saying this is one of the worst Novembers they can remember. Alot of places are shutting down several days a week which wasnt the way it was the last few years.

Greene Turtle stays open no matter what it seems. Very smoky which will end on February 1st. Probably the biggest clique-y palce I have found. I went there a couple times for Ravens Games and it seems if you havent been coming there forever you arent welcome. Bartenders kinda act like they are a little locals club.

This is a small town. Everyone is into everyone elses business.

I like Crabcake Factory, Bull on the Beach and sometimes Galaxy 66 because its not too crowded and they always have new food specials at the bar. The Chef is pretty good.

But lately I've been trying to hang out in Ocean Pines but choices are way limited.

Taylors would be a nice place if they had any kind of service and got a real chef in there. Perfect layout. Poor management. I was in there a few fridays ago a 8:45 PM on a Friday and they told me it was last call. They close at 9 PM? on Friday. Somebody could make a fortune there.

Steer Inn. Nice Folks. No clue what they are doing. Definately a lot of rookie mistakes taking place. Whole staff talks about rumours to any who will listen. They are selling. Looking for some good bread though. Too much I would say.
They havent even been open a year. Needs a total makeover I think. Food is poor to mediocre.

DeNovas. Nice guy too. Opened it up as a smaller place and was doing very well I thought. He doubled the size of the place which makes it looks half empty all the time. I hear he got ripped off badly by a well know scam artist around town. He's a talented Carpenter named Chris Boyles (I'm a carpenter as well) and he took them for like $15,000 on unfinished work and bolted town. Happens down here all the time. Unreal. Some of the best food in Pines however its a really boring menu.

Whiskers. I honestly cant even go in there anymore. Maybe I'l try after the smoking ban. Last time I was there I had a drunken guy telling me obscene stories about the girl at the chinese carry out next door. When I look around in there it looks like no one has cleaned it in 10 years. The ceilings and vent are horrible. Mold everywhere. Yellow from smoke. Stinks. Typical case of an alcoholic owner who lets the inmates run the asylum. Look around. You will see.

Marina Deck. It's clean. It's smoke free and it has a nice menu. Unfortunately it has absolutely no personality. Bland food and service. I've had a few good things there but not the norm. Stuffy and for the older set.

Love Southside Deli. Great Lunch Specials. No seating though.

Crab and Cruz is a new place I havent been to yet but if they continue to
hang up hand written signs saying Grand Opening all over the place I dont
think I will ever try it. Unprofessional.

Woobies. Sucks.

Hunan is new but I havent tried yet.

Thats about it for now. I'll write again when I hear any new dirt.

OCJay

BALTOBOB
11-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Greene Turtle stays open no matter what it seems. Very smoky which will end on February 1st. Probably the biggest clique-y palce I have found. I went there a couple times for Ravens Games and it seems if you havent been coming there forever you arent welcome. Bartenders kinda act like they are a little locals club

Green Turtle is the headquarters of Raven's Roost 44 and members watch away games there.If you'd like to join just mention it to someone if you watch another game there.The organization is over 140 members a strong and are good folks.
You'll find that alot of folks belong to 2 or 3 social organizations I.E. the Elks,K of C, VFW, American Legion,etc.This overlapping membership is what turns this town into a big clique.

If your a joiner,ask around.Most are glad to have new members.

mink66
11-21-2007, 07:09 AM
But lately I've been trying to hang out in Ocean Pines but choices are way limited.

Taylors would be a nice place if they had any kind of service and got a real chef in there. Perfect layout. Poor management. I was in there a few fridays ago a 8:45 PM on a Friday and they told me it was last call. They close at 9 PM? on Friday. Somebody could make a fortune there.

Whiskers. I honestly cant even go in there anymore. Maybe I'l try after the smoking ban. Last time I was there I had a drunken guy telling me obscene stories about the girl at the chinese carry out next door. When I look around in there it looks like no one has cleaned it in 10 years. The ceilings and vent are horrible. Mold everywhere. Yellow from smoke. Stinks. Typical case of an alcoholic owner who lets the inmates run the asylum. Look around. You will see.

Love Southside Deli. Great Lunch Specials. No seating though.

Hunan is new but I havent tried yet.
OCJay

OCJay,

I live in Ocean Pines also. I agree with most of your assessments.

Used to go into Whiskers for their half price burger nights, but the smoke in their is just ridiculous.

Have gotten take-out a half dozen times from the new Hunan Gardens place and the Chinese food is much better than the other Chinese place in Pines Plaza. Actually, the place is immaculately decorated in Chinese/Oriental decor and the place looks awesome. They definitely spent some dough giving the inside of the place some real personality. They also have a fresh Sushi bar if you are into that...not for me though...raw fish...yuck!

I think Taylor's is decent too. They give you the biggest hunk of tuna on their blackened tuna ceasar salad or tuna steak sandwich I have ever seen.

My wife and I were very disappointed to see the Plantation House shut down earlier this year. Yes, the acoustics sucked in the place, but the food was excellent.

We like to head over to West OC also. Dr. Unk's has the best breakfast in my opinion and lunch and dinner menu are great too. Atmosphere is very nice with all the dark wood and paneling which gives it a kind of English pub feel. The fact that is smoke free is one of it's best features.

Micky Fin's is a favorite too. The Fried Green Tomato Romeulade (sp?) is to die for. Although, I think they are probably closed down for the season by now. We've haven't been since September. And Micky Fin's sister restaurant, Sunset Grille, has always been good to us too. Although drink prices are kind of ridiculous...an $8 mojito...give me a break.

terrapin05
11-21-2007, 12:34 PM
My wife grew up with Chris Boyles and I met him once or twice around town. Pretty sure he put the bar in at Crabcake Factory, and I know he did Nantuckets. They'll have to look in a duck blind to find him now.

I was sorry to see Plantation House go, too. We don't get out to the Pines much, but also love Dr. Unk's in west OC. Kirby's has always been my favorite pub food but man have they had some changeover there recently. All my buddies are gone : KB, Kinsey, Schotty and Kristin, and even some of the cooks. Lisa and Jenn were still there last time around, but a lot of new bartenders. Always packed and smoky, but worth it for some steamed shrimp and quesadillas and wings.

OCJay
11-26-2007, 05:52 PM
I agree with the Big Tuna at Taylors, I usually get the Tuna Caesar. Although it is frozen Ahi Tuna its still pretty good. Standard 8 Oz cryovac tuna from Sysco or similar. ( I wholesale seafood so I notice such things).

I will definately try Hunan this week.

I also like Dr. Unks (Greg Grimm, the owner used to work at Shenanigans and Bull on the Beach for years).

I like Clint the day bar guy, try his fresh squeezed Margaritas

I keep my boat at Sunset Marina so hang out around that area alot.

Harborside is great but needs a facelift.

Sunset Grille not my style but I like Teazers in Summer.

OCJay

PS...I gave the Turtle another try and sorry to say I felt the same way. Hard to get drinks or any service really unless you are in the "Clique".
Oh well, my money spends everywhere.