PDA

View Full Version : Hall's Breakfast Buffet

Krislynell
04-24-2007, 07:21 AM
A few years ago, during the summer season, we found Hall's breakfast buffet and it was really good. We just went this past weekend and let me tell you....never again! :mad: Everything was either cold or cooked to a crisp or just yucky. Now, I know it's not in season yet but there was a convention down and the restaurant had alot of people in it....and that was early, around 8:30am.

We are going to stick to the Satelite up on the board walk at the Howard Johnson Hotel on 20th? I used to go there as a kid when we vacationed and their beach themed food was great. :D

Kristie

terrapin05
04-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Why anyone subjects themselves to buffets, seafood or breakfast, is beyond me. I guess it's good for kids or large families or really cheap folks who want to pig out and get their money's worth, but a buffet does nothing to attract me. Almost all buffets use bottom of the barrel or leftover stuff to get rid of it. Remember that.

JustBeachy`
04-24-2007, 10:45 AM
We are going to stick to the Satelite up on the board walk at the Howard Johnson Hotel on 20th? I used to go there as a kid when we vacationed and their beach themed food was great. :D

Kristie

We go to the Satellite on 46th Street for breakfast at least once every time we're in OC and have never been let down.;)

DeanM
04-24-2007, 11:40 AM
really cheap folks who want to pig out and get their money's worth, but a buffet does nothing to attract me. Almost all buffets use bottom of the barrel or leftover stuff to get rid of it. Remember that.
At the average OC buffet costing 28 bucks a person, I don't think "cheap" would be a way to describe someone taking a family to this type of restaurant, and if it's mostly a buffet where are they getting this left over food from???? a restuarant across the street???:confused:

terrapin05
04-24-2007, 12:19 PM
But cheap as in "If I'm going to pay $28 for a meal, I'm going to get my money's worth." And while it may be that a buffet that operates only as a buffet does not use or have leftovers that another buffet or operation that has other menu items would, is what I mean. Buffets and markets all around, yesterday's burgers and steaks are today's beef tips and salisbury steak w/ gravy.

ravenman
04-24-2007, 12:54 PM
I can't bring myself to go to Hall's. I always thought the building looks like a funeral home and that turns me off. :p

Krislynell
04-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Why anyone subjects themselves to buffets, seafood or breakfast, is beyond me. I guess it's good for kids or large families or really cheap folks who want to pig out and get their money's worth, but a buffet does nothing to attract me. Almost all buffets use bottom of the barrel or leftover stuff to get rid of it. Remember that.

I have 2 little girls who like to pick and choose what they want....AND Yes, when I pay $27.99 (which is Phillips Buffet) for dinner, I want to pig out on all kinds of varieties of food! :D Thats just me. :)

OCtheBeach.com
04-24-2007, 06:52 PM
...Yes, when I pay $27.99...
But, for twenty-eight bucks you can get really GOOD food. If you must have that "full" feeling, try the Clarion Buffet; same price and, while not quite as large a selection, everything is fresh and actually of good quality.
:)

Bulwer
04-25-2007, 08:14 AM
I ate there one Saturday night before my son and I went fishing. It was really good food. And yes, it doesn't have the huge selection of food like the other places but the crab legs were excellent. Their "homemade" fried clams were the best and you didn't have that "dog eat dog" mentality that you find at the other places. But be warned! If they have a private function (which is often) the buffet is closed. Even if you call in advance they might not tell you that. When I go to these buffets I usually go for specific items and I know which ones to avoid. It doesn't have a large desert offering.

DeanM
04-25-2007, 02:44 PM
But cheap as in "If I'm going to pay $28 for a meal, I'm going to get my money's worth." And while it may be that a buffet that operates only as a buffet does not use or have leftovers that another buffet or operation that has other menu items would, is what I mean. Buffets and markets all around, yesterday's burgers and steaks are today's beef tips and salisbury steak w/ gravy.

Well speaking only for myself here, if I pay $28 for a meal, you can bet your a$$ I want to get my money's worth! doesn't matter if it's a buffet, sit down, or take out, IMO nothing is worse than being hungry after you shell out big bucks for food. Are we suposed to dine out and not get our money's worth??? I understand what you are saying, about the burger today salisbury steak tomorrow concept, but c'mon, clearly when you are talking about a place such as Hall's or Ember's or The Bon Fire, this senario doesn't apply. Obviously the food being served at these places was destined for the buffet from the start. Unless you want us to believe that every other day they get a huge crowd of people sitiing down ordering whole alaskan crabs, eating the backfin, and leaving the legs only to have them show up on the buffet the next day.... no.

Bottom line for me is this place is first and foremost a buffet, that being said there should be no excuses for poor quality in it's food, BUT the food is bad, and the place completely misrepresents itself with the advertisements.

MicheleRN
04-26-2007, 05:29 PM
I've never found that any of the buffet's use "bottom of the barrel" stuff. Hall's is usually good for breakfast...we go at least once every year...and the same w/ The Bonfire. Everyone is different...we also love a good sit down meal...regardless of price.

Krislynell
04-27-2007, 06:41 AM
I've never found that any of the buffet's use "bottom of the barrel" stuff. Hall's is usually good for breakfast...we go at least once every year...and the same w/ The Bonfire. Everyone is different...we also love a good sit down meal...regardless of price.

Halls was usually good for us too... :confused:

terrapin05
04-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Yes, I mentioned the difference in buffets that only operate as buffets. And there's a big difference between a breakfast buffet and dinner in amount of items and choices, obviously. King Crab legs are usually the best item on a buffet save maybe the carving station if they have good prime rib or ham. The shrimp and crabs they serve are bottom of the barrel generally. I can't speak for all buffets because I just haven't experienced them.

Z06RL
04-27-2007, 01:54 PM
We go to the Bonfire at least once each time we go to OC. For us, it's a treat and we enjoy the food we get there. But we also only eat the food on the buffet that we don't or can't usually get at home (crab legs, prime rib, mussels). We don't go there to "pig out". We also don't fill up on salads and breads and soups. But that's just us. We don't go to other buffets during the week. When we're down for a weeks vacation, I usually cook breakfast, lunch, and four or five dinners. But that one night we go to buffet, it's the Bonfire for us.