Jamie Bestwick Takes 9th Consecutive BMX Vert Dew Cup
Ocean City, Md. – June 22, 2013 – Baltimore native Bucky Lasek won the Skate Vert Dew Cup in front of his hometown audience at the Dew Tour Beach Championships in Ocean City, Md today. The crowd erupted in applause as the local legend performed a near flawless second run. Lasek’s run included of a drop-in to switch 360, a nollie flip stalefish and boneless rodeo. Pierre-Luc Gagnon and Sandro Dias put down technical runs to secure the second and third positions on the podium.
“It feels awesome to be back on top,” said Lasek. “It is pretty special, especially with all the love and support I get from all my fans, my friends and local businesses. It is great for Dew Tour to come here and support such a great beach community.”
Earlier in the day, Jamie Bestwick continued his BMX Vert Dew Cup streak with his 9th consecutive win. His final run brought the crowd to its feet and dominated the competition with a score of 94.00. He combined massive amplitude with unique tricks, including a downside tailwhip flair, a knack knack seat grab 540 and a front flip flair that drew loud cheers from fans and riders alike. Vince Byron and Steve McCann rounded out the podium in second and third, respectively.
“Being 41 years old, it feels awesome to win the Dew Cup,” said Bestwick. “I thought they would have kicked me out of the Dew Tour by now, just being too old and owning all the Cups. I’m stoked. What a contest – it really went down today.”
Pioneers of skateboarding gathered at the skate bowl for the Legends Final. Chris Miller took top honors for the third consecutive year at the Dew Tour Beach Championships. Miller’s run included a huge transfer from the shallow to the deep end, a frontside ollie transfer, and a lipslide around the corner from the deep to shallow end. Trailing close behind Miller were Steve Caballero and Mike McGill, who claimed second and third place.
“This is just such a great contest and so fun to skate,” said Miller. “We have been doing these events for awhile, but not on a national television, not in front of an audience like the Dew Tour, so it is a real honor.”=
Eight of the top street riders in BMX met in the center of the Dew Tour Experience for the debut of the Battle at the Beach Street Session. Dan Lacey topped the group in the jam format contest, landing a backward grind to over toothpick on the rail.
“A rail jam on the beach, you can’t argue with that,” said Lacey. “The crowd loved it, the riders loved it, and I can’t wait for next year.”
The Dew Tour Beach Championships continue tomorrow with Skate Bowl Finals and BMX Park Finals.
Skate Vert Final Results
1. Bucky Lasek, Baltimore, Md., 90.00. 2. Pierre-Luc Gagnon, Canada, 87.50. 3. Sandro Dias, Brazil, 86.00. 4. Ronaldo Gomes, Brazil, 74.75. 5. Alex Perelson, San Diego, Calif., 52.50.
BMX Vert Final Results
1. Jamie Bestwick, Great Britain, 94.00. 2. Vince Byron, Australia, 89.75. 3. Steven McCann, Australia, 88.50. 4. Jimmy Walker, Chicago, Ill., 83.00. 5. Simon Tabron, Great Britain, 82.00. 6. Francisco Zurita, Chile, 77.25.
Skate Bowl Legends Final Results
1. Chris Miller, Upland, Calif., 87.50. 2. Steve Caballero, Campbell, Calif., 86.00. 3. Mike McGill, Encinitas, Calif., 84.25. 4. Christian Hosoi, Huntington Beach, Calif., 84.25. 5. Tony Magnusson, San Diego, Calif., 76.25. 6. Eddie Elguera, Palm Desert, Calif. 74.50. 7. Duane Peters, Long Beach, Calif., 70.75. 8. Lester Kasai, Anaheim, Calif., 70.75. 9. Steve Alba, Badlands, Calif. 65.75.
The complete 2013 Dew Tour schedule is as follows:
· Dew Tour Beach Championships: Ocean City, Md. June 20-23
· Toyota City Championships: San Francisco, Calif. October 10-13
· iON Mountain Championships: Breckenridge, Colo. December 12-15
The Dew Tour Beach Championships is free to attend. Premium passes – offering the ultimate Dew Tour fan experience – are available for purchase. Premium Passes include guaranteed seating at all events, a souvenir credential and a Dew Tour Swag Bag. Passes for Sunday will cost $80.
The Dew Tour Beach Championships will air live on NBC on Sunday, June 23 at 2:00pm ET. The 2013 Dew Tour will be available on NBC, NBC Sports Network, Dew Tour Live on DewTour.com, NBC Sports Live Extra and the NBC Sports Live Extra App – the NBC Sports Group’s live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices, and tablets. In addition, all telecast hours will be distributed internationally across NBC’s global distribution partners.
For additional Dew Tour event information, visit www.DewTour.com and the Dew Tour Facebook page.