Are you prepared for Berlin’s annual Bathtub Races?! The famous Bathtub Races are scheduled to take place during Berlin’s 2nd Friday Art Stroll on Friday, July 8th, 2011.
Typically, the Bathtub Races were a featured event at the Berlin Village Fair. 2011 marks the first year of the disappearance of the Berlin Village Fair. The Village Fair has been discontinued, but the bathtub races will roll on.
Watch, or participate, as local business turn ordinary bathtubs into large, rolling, works of art. The neighborhood race is open to anyone who wants to compete in a friendly race. Businesses are encouraged to advertise their company while running behind a run bathtub down Main Street in historic Berlin.
Pick out your bathtub pit crew, find a tub driver and a strong pusher and start practicing.
The Bathtub Race Rules:
- Bathtubs must be authentic
- Wheels may be no larger than 26 inches
- Bathtub must have both brakes and steering
- There must be at least one rider (helmet required)
- No more than one person can push (closed toe shoes required)
- Bathtub must hold at least 2 gallons of water
- This is no limit to the number of wheels
- Business may advertise on the sides of their bathtub
The winner of the contest will take home a large trophy, will have year-long bragging rights, and will receive a free banner on the Berlin Maryland Chamber of Commerce website. There is a $50 entry fee per bathtub. Stop by the Berlin Chamber of Commerce on Main Street in Berlin to fill out a registration form and sign the liability waiver.
For more information, please call the Chamber at 410-641-4775. Happy racing!