+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    Sand Dollars

UPDATE: New Forum Features

We sincerely appreciate everyone's participation in our online community. Your posts and comments help travelers plan their vacation by providing feedback on local hotels, restaurants and activitites. As a way of thanking you for being a part of the community, we have implemented what we call "Sand Dollars". You can earn Sand Dollars by starting a forum topic, commenting on someone else's topic, writing in your blog, posting images, writing articles, etc. You can even donate some of your Sand Dollars to other members who have answered your questions or helped you out in some way. You do this by clicking the user's profile, and then clicking the link that says "Give sand dollars to [username]".

We will be setting up a "store" where you can redeem your Sand Dollars for real-world items. We don't yet know what will be in the store, but it will likely include restaurant vouchers, rounds of golf, water park admissions and the Ocean City Family Discount Coupon Book. It will take us a while to get the store up and running, but we want you to be able to start accumulating Sand Dollars now. One question that you are bound to have is what your Sand Dollars are worth. We're tentatively setting the conversion rate at 1 Sand Dollar = $0.02 USD. That means if you have 500 Sand Dollars, you will be able to redeem them for $10 worth of merchandise in the store.

We started everyone off with some Sand Dollars and Karma based on your participation in the community throughout the years. You may look at your Sand Dollar account and think that this is not a lot based on your past activity, but new activity will earn Sand Dollars at a faster rate.

Another new addition to the forum is the ability to vote a thread or comment up or down. Please rate as often as you can, because in the near future we will be using this information to promote threads to the home page of OceanCity.com. Rather than us picking what is interesting and deserves to be on the home page, you now have the power to decide. Your votes on comments will be counted towards a user's Karma (more on that later), and towards their Sand Dollar balance. In this way, community members who provide useful comments will be recognized, and rewarded, for their contributions.

The last new feature I would like to talk about is Karma. You can earn Karma points by posting comments, blog entries, topics, and pretty much everything you can earn Sand Dollars for. The more positive votes your topics and comments receive, the more Karma you get. This will be a primary indicator of your expertise and knowledge of Ocean City. If a user with a lot of Karma posts a review about a restaurant, for example, new visitors to the forum will immediately know that user is well-informed, and can be trusted.

If you have any comments, questions, or suggestions regarding the new features, please don't hesitate to bring them up here. Thanks for being a part of the OceanCity.com community!

lwold
    Sand Dollars

Re: UPDATE: New Forum Features

OK so now we know.

Sand Dollars

Is the "Delete" Button gone? I can't seem to delete a post I just made in the wrong thread....

Sand Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by bchevy

Is the "Delete" Button gone? I can't seem to delete a post I just made in the wrong thread....

JUST like THIS post in the wrong thread......

Sand Dollars

I'll be heading to OC on Tuesday and could have used a restaurant voucher, but I look at it this way. I'll have all winter to save up for more by the time next spring and our next trip comes up.

Looking forward to seeing what's in store.

Thanks for the perks!

Administrator
    Sand Dollars

We appreciate all your patience with the bumpy transition to this new forum software. We recently made some improvements to the appearance of the posts and the threads. I think the forum is looking pretty good now. I hope you like the improvements also.

There is always room for further improvements, so keep the feedback coming. We've made many changes over the past few months as a direct result of your feedback.

I hope you'll take advantage of the new features in the forum. Give a 'thumbs up' to posts you like. It doesn't cost you anything, and lets members know that you appreciate the helpful recommendations or fun stories they contribute.

Also, every member has their own personal blog space. This is great place to share your trip reports, photos, and thoughts in a space that is your own 'home' on the site.

This forum is a very important part of the OceanCity.com web site. We went to bat for keeping an open forum when a couple of years ago some businesses in town wanted to blacklist us because of some negative comments that were made about them in the forum. The businesses have now come around to appreciate this forum. Even if you are back at home hundreds of miles away, it is a place to gather, to stay in touch, and to keep up with the latest happenings in Ocean City.

We value your participation in the forum and will continue to look for ways to make it more useful and helpful to you.

Nat

Sand Dollars

I think the improvements are significant. What do others think?

Sand Dollars

Thumbs up on the improvements!

Sand Dollars

I began using the forum durring the rocky transition, and I know many people who frequently post became disgruntled and left, but honestly, a forum is a forum. It is not that difficult to nagivate, and it looks nice. My only criticism now is that it says that there are new posts to read in a category when really there are not. If you could fix that, I would be very happy.

Sand Dollars

I think this forum is what WE make it. I was here before the transition and I am still here now. I feel bad for those who still hold a grudge toward this site and do not post anymore. It was over a year ago (maybe even longer) that the forum was changed. There are things I miss about the old site, but mainly I miss those who used to post. I think if we all keep posting, this site will only get better.

Anyone want to join me in holding hands and singing Kumbaya???