+ Reply to Thread
    wannabeinOC
    Sand Dollars

the belmont hearne hotel

does anyone know anything about the belmont hearne hotel, in the inlet area? it seems like a total mom and pop, repeat tenants from like the 1950s kind of place. all comments are welcome!

I was wondering the same thing. I have a cousin who stayed there years ago. She said it was a good place to stay, but that was a long time ago. Not fancy but she didn't spend alot of time in the room so it was good enough.

Originally posted by wannabeinOC:
    does anyone know anything about the belmont hearne hotel, in the inlet area? it seems like a total mom and pop, repeat tenants from like the 1950s kind of place. all comments are welcome!
    The Location on Dorchester Street is great. The Hotel is like stepping back 100 years ago into Ocean City's famous past. Forget the modern ammenities that we all have become used to at other hotels. But in OC you never spend much time in the unit anyway, especially in the perfect downtown area. The Belmont could be on the loud side during peak summer times if that is a problem. Other than that, you will be fine. (Next door is a place called the Terry A While. That works just fine and is a bit more updated.

songbird
    Sand Dollars

Belmont Hearne to be torn down

We just returned last Sunday from a week in O.C. The Belmont Hearne was having a "Demolition Sale." It looks like from the Hotel all the way up to and including the store fronts on the boardwalk, will be torn down.

wannabeinOC
    Sand Dollars
    that is sad =(. i'm sure that sale would be pretty interesting...i'm sure they're going to build new condos or a new hotel in that spot, which is said...i hate how ocean city is building all these miami beach style hotels and condos and tearing down the historical ones.

Sand Dollars
    I just got back from a quick weekend trip to OC. The Belmont-Hearne was torn down along with all the shops out front near it, including some up the boardwalk (with the exception of The Courtesy Shop & Fisher's Popcorn). The signs indicate that a condos will be built there and will be called The Belmont Towers. It appears that they will be designed with turn-of-the-century architechture. While it is sad that OC lost another landmark, the new will at least be reminiscent of the past.

Sand Dollars
    What can anyone say?? It's all about the $$$. Pretty soon, middle class people will have to go elsewhere. Does anyone notice a plan here?

ocbaseball
    Sand Dollars

Belmont Towers Info

The demolotion began because there was a fire at the Beach Grill early last spring. It simply didn't make sense to rebuild one spot on the boardwalk with so many old, deteriorating buildings around it. As a property owner in downtown Ocean City, I can say the the property tax assessments were increasing much faster than the rental rates. I can also say that the owners of the Belmont and all others involved in the project were sad to see it all be demolished. However, the impending maintainence costs make those types of properties harder to manage every year. Sometimes, it's not all about the $$$... it's about the work and the future. In you want to look on the bright side consider the economic benefit to the stores around the new building and the property tax increase. Also, it is making an efficient use of space in an environmentally friendly way. The OCDC is working with the developers to maintain some of that old town feel.