Thread: EZ Pass

+ Reply to Thread
    Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars

EZ Pass

Was looking at an article that hinted that cash tolls may soon be a thing of the past. Did some checking into the EZ pass and very confusing. Wondered if anyone has one and can explain how it works. Unlimited annual fee, or auto-pay as you go, etc.? Thanks.

Sand Dollars
    Hey Jozo,
    We've had a Maryland EZPass for years. We have a "Standard PLan" (no discounts). Unlimited use. No monthly fee if you reside in MD. You can have up to 4 transponders on the account. Once our balance drops below a certain amount, like $10,for example, they'll automatically replenish $25 into our account from our credit card. If you don't want to do automatic, you can add cash manually at an EzPass service center or MVA. For our simple 2 axle cars and motorcycle, this seems to work for us. Even when we pull the trailer, we haven't been charged extra for the additional axles. We can use our transponders anywhere from Virginia up to Maine, for example all along 95, the PA turnpike, NY Thruways, the NY tunnels, etc. Even the Cape May-Lewes Ferry accepts it, and some airports accept it in their parking garages. When we use it outside of Maryland, it just shows the state and plaza name on our account statement. MD EZPass takes the money out of our account sends it to the appropriate state behind the scenes. These are the MD EZPass rules.

You live in Ohio? They most likely have their own rules & fees. I would just register for EZPass in your home state, and as long as it's the same logo (which it is) it should work fine on the Bay Bridge. They all have "reciprocity".
    Last edited by SlowRider; 04-14-2018 at 11:17 PM.
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Sand Dollars
    Ditto what SlowRider said, plus you do have buy your transponders. The PA Turnpike is considering going "cashless." If you don't have EZPass they'll take a picture of your license plate as you enter the Pike & when you exit. Then they can get the name & address of the vehicle owner from the plate number, & they'll send him/her a bill.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by EllAnn View Post
    Ditto what SlowRider said, plus you do have buy your transponders. The PA Turnpike is considering going "cashless." If you don't have EZPass they'll take a picture of your license plate as you enter the Pike & when you exit. Then they can get the name & address of the vehicle owner from the plate number, & they'll send him/her a bill.
    I'd be okay with that. It would sure make it faster going through the toll booths. Plus my husband has an awful time trying to reach those tickets with his bad shoulder.
    Ask an OC Insider

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Thanks for all the info. Just checked out the Ohio site and for now, I'll hold off and keep 4 singles handy and thank my HS classmate (Hogan) for saving us 2 bucks every time.

Am curious why they use a transponder. My parents used to buy a pass for the causeway in Sanibel and it was just a UPC sticker. And that was years ago. Seems simpler just to do that instead of something you rent (in Ohio for .75/mo)

Thanks again