+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Phillips Seafood Restaurant (141st)

it is going to be re-branded as a Mexican restaurant named Bayside Cantina per an article I read in the York Daily Record (York, PA)
    common sense is not so common

Sand Dollars
    I'm ok with that.

Sand Dollars
    To be honest, when I saw this yesterday, I thought it was a joke.

But, with more and more competition around town, I'm guessing the Phillip's brand doesn't carry the weight it once did. Recent years have seen the closing of their 13th St Boardwalk location, and the wait to get into the 21st St location for dinner isn't nearly as long as it used to be in the 1990s when my family and I had our annual meal there.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    To be honest, when I saw this yesterday, I thought it was a joke.

But, with more and more competition around town, I'm guessing the Phillip's brand doesn't carry the weight it once did. Recent years have seen the closing of their 13th St Boardwalk location, and the wait to get into the 21st St location for dinner isn't nearly as long as it used to be in the 1990s when my family and I had our annual meal there.
    And, sad to say, their food is not what it once was. Years ago we always planned at least one meal at the 21st location, but we had not been there for several years when we went last year & we were kind of disappointed. The food was good, just not what it used to be. And the prices were terrible. I really hate to see an "old faithful" type of local business go downhill like this one has. I guess they've gotten "too big."

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by EllAnn View Post
    And, sad to say, their food is not what it once was. Years ago we always planned at least one meal at the 21st location, but we had not been there for several years when we went last year & we were kind of disappointed. The food was good, just not what it used to be. And the prices were terrible. I really hate to see an "old faithful" type of local business go downhill like this one has. I guess they've gotten "too big."
    I agree. The last time I ate dinner there, maybe around 2009, I left disappointed. I did go for lunch a few years back just for the cream of crab soup, and that still tastes the same.

Sand Dollars
    In years past the 13th street location was by far the best! The 141st location never really met the grade for some reason.

Sand Dollars
    When we first started going to Phillip's, the only location was the Crab House at 21st & it didn't open 'til 4 PM (except Sundays it was 11 AM), the line to get in started to form long before opening time & they didn't have a liquor license so about half the people in line were carrying coolers of beer & wine. Also there was an upstairs dining room. Way back then the food & service was much better. Too bad it changed so much.

Sand Dollars
    In 26 years of going to OC, we ate at that location twice, and once because we got a free dinner for two there. Only ever paid to eat there once, and we never ate at the other one. Never understood the appeal, but their claim to fame was whole crabs included in the buffet rather than just crab legs. Their becoming a Mexican joint won't bother me or interest me in the least. We have authentic Mexican where I live that is out of this world. To me, eating Mexican in OC is about the same as eating pizza there. I can get them both at home.
    Ask an OC Insider

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    It's sad, but unfortunately it seems Phillip's best days are behind them. Have some great memories from the 21st St. location, which is a short walk from our place.

If you'e into buffets, we tried Embers last year and it was really good.

Of course, there's always Paul Revere & Jonah & The Whale