+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Things to do in offseason

hey everyone, im coming to oc this weekend with my kids....ages 5 and 9.......what are some things to do when its cold outside...other than mini-golf,movies and bowling.

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcken9star View Post
    hey everyone, im coming to oc this weekend with my kids....ages 5 and 9.......what are some things to do when its cold outside...other than mini-golf,movies and bowling.
    There's a "what to do in the winter" and also a "what's open in winter" thread on this page

Sand Dollars
    Well, the arcades are open on the boardwalk and Trimper's indoor rides on the boards are probably open as well. They're for young kids (not babies) and most are not so small that the 9 year old would be bored. She'll love the merry go round. How about a game of laser tag at Planet Maze? And mom, you can do it too. I'm in my 60's and still play and enjoy it. There is indoor ice skating at the Carousel Hotel on 118th St. They have skates available to rent in all sizes. And if one of your kids (or you) can't quite skate yet, there are assist bars available for free to use. The boat show is going on at the Convention Center and that's a nice show. It's not all boats either. Visit the Life Saving Station Museum on the boardwalk and grab some Thrasher's Fries or Fisher's Popcorn. You can rent and ride bikes because I'm pretty sure you'll find one or two rental places open. How about a horse drawn carriage ride on the boardwalk? He'll be located by Thrasher's at the inlet. Take a ride to Assateague and stop at the Nature Center that is located on the right just before you cross the bridge to the park. There is a lot you can do in the winter. Have FUN!
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Well, the arcades are open on the boardwalk and Trimper's indoor rides on the boards are probably open as well. They're for young kids (not babies) and most are not so small that the 9 year old would be bored. She'll love the merry go round. How about a game of laser tag at Planet Maze? And mom, you can do it too. I'm in my 60's and still play and enjoy it. There is indoor ice skating at the Carousel Hotel on 118th St. They have skates available to rent in all sizes. And if one of your kids (or you) can't quite skate yet, there are assist bars available for free to use. The boat show is going on at the Convention Center and that's a nice show. It's not all boats either. Visit the Life Saving Station Museum on the boardwalk and grab some Thrasher's Fries or Fisher's Popcorn. You can rent and ride bikes because I'm pretty sure you'll find one or two rental places open. How about a horse drawn carriage ride on the boardwalk? He'll be located by Thrasher's at the inlet. Take a ride to Assateague and stop at the Nature Center that is located on the right just before you cross the bridge to the park. There is a lot you can do in the winter. Have FUN!
    Unfortunately, the Trimper's Indoor Rides do shut down for the winter.

Ripley's is open during the winter also, but some of the exhibits could be a little frightening for a five year old.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post

Ripley's is open during the winter also, but some of the exhibits could be a little frightening for a five year old.

Ripley's is closed until early March for renovations.
    common sense is not so common

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by bar2008 View Post
    Ripley's is closed until early March for renovations.
    Really? I wonder if they're making any changes to the exhibits.

Other than switching a couple of things around and changing the room with the roller coaster replica to the Ice Age room, the exhibits have been pretty much the same since they reopened in 2001.

Sand Dollars
    Take a trip out to Assateague and see some ponies and stop in at the Visitor Center. After that hit Harborside, Crab Alley or Green Turtle for lunch/dinner.

For you kid's ages the Visitor Center would be perfect.
    https://www.nps.gov/asis/index.htm

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    If you stop by the Convention Center around 45th St, they usually have free passes to the Live Saving Museum