+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Ocean Plaza Mall

According to the Dispatch, the dormant Ocean Plaza Mall is finally being demolished, with the exception of Rose's and ACME (formerly Super Fresh).

It's about time.

I had a lot of fond memories there. In the summer of 1989, my family stayed just off 94th St, and we got our food from the Super Fresh, and we visited the Mall there. I used to love shopping in Hazel's Books.

They also had a good food court, with a Dolle's and Candy Kitchen.

I remember attending baseball card shows there in the 1990s, as well.

Then, in 2002, all of the stores were gone, and the building operated as an indoor flea market on weekends, and one of the stores had a train garden.

Good times, and I hope the land is used for something good. Right now, there are no plans.

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    According to the Dispatch, the dormant Ocean Plaza Mall is finally being demolished, with the exception of Rose's and ACME (formerly Super Fresh).

It's about time.

I had a lot of fond memories there. In the summer of 1989, my family stayed just off 94th St, and we got our food from the Super Fresh, and we visited the Mall there. I used to love shopping in Hazel's Books.

They also had a good food court, with a Dolle's and Candy Kitchen.

I remember attending baseball card shows there in the 1990s, as well.

Then, in 2002, all of the stores were gone, and the building operated as an indoor flea market on weekends, and one of the stores had a train garden.

Good times, and I hope the land is used for something good. Right now, there are no plans.
    Ditto: I usually try to stay close to our place in mid-town and avoid 94th, as it's sometimes the most congested area in OC, depending on the time of year. Friend of ours has a place bayside on 94th and we've been in some major traffic jams when we visit them.

Years ago, that mall was cool, great for a rainy day. They had a great record store, last time I was in there was early 90's, so they were selling vinyl, cassettes and CD's.

If anyone remembers, hanging from the ceiling, they had an original inflatable zeppelin which was used as a promotional item for the release of Led Zeppelin III in 1970. It's worth a lot now. My hobby is collecting Rock memorabilia, original authenticated signatures and posters, etc., so I used to bring a bunch of cash in there and bribe the register clerk to "disappear" for a few moments while I removed it for transfer to my man-cave. No one ever did, however the last time I tried this, the store owner was behind the counter and got pretty pissed off.

Glad they are cleaning up that area a bit, as it is an eyesore. The development possibilities there are endless.

Maybe since this forum seems on the slow side lately, we can all come up with suggestions, or predictions as to what the new development will be.

Sand Dollars
    I've been coming to OC since the 1950s (with my parents), then since the early 1960s w/my husband & son. In all the time I've never been to that Mall. But, I do hope that they can do something interesting with it. Maybe a revival of ShantyTown? I'm afraid that it'll end up being another condo/apartment building. Not that those are bad, but they just aren't that interesting & there seem to be so many of them already. Does the area have any bayfront?

Sand Dollars
    Has anyone mention that would be a good location for a Starbucks, Candy Kitchen and 2 Sunsations?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    Has anyone mention that would be a good location for a Starbucks, Candy Kitchen and 2 Sunsations?
    Too funny!I like it Bob, a cynic like myself :-) Wouldn't it be great to see some small, locally owned businesses up there? I know that I would. Our condo is directly across the street.
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    LOL Don't forget Panera. Where else can you blow $30 on 2 cold soups and 2 sandwiches on stale bread

I like the Shantytown idea, that place was OK. Anything that's a small business and not a cookie cutter franchise.

Sand Dollars
    They aren't going to do anything with the space, just tearing the unused portion down. There are pictures of the demo on Facebook. Acme and Roses are staying put. We always liked that mall. It was small, but there were some fun little stores to browse, a candy store, food court, and later on there was a large train display that my kids used to love to watch. But it has outlived its time and usefulness. Personally, it's a shame that the business owners of OC who hire foreign workers, couldn't get together and build a complex to house them for the summers. The last couple of years there's been a housing shortage for them and it's led to a lot of problems. Just a thought. Sure DON'T need another Sunsations or Candy Kitchen, or beer store!
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I'm curious - what do you remember about the train display? Was it a train/hobby store?
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Sand Dollars
    There was an ownership group that was proposing to tear the entire place down and build hundreds of condos, leaving a couple outpads for commercial. Everything was going to go, including Roses and Superfresh (now Acme). This was about 2005 -2007. Then the condo market went into the tank for a few years and scratched all plans. The current owners were a part of that plan. For the time being they are just demolishing the unused portion between Roses and Acme.....but my experience says developers don't do this out of the goodness of their heart. They have plans......just don't want to share them yet.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
    I'm curious - what do you remember about the train display? Was it a train/hobby store?
    It wasn't a store, but just a train garden display. The mall was on it's last legs at a retail establishment. Eckert Pharmacy, the record store, and some of the other notable places were gone, and a train garden (which used to be set up on Dorchester St) was there. I believe it was for the summer of 2001, before the Mall was converted to an indoor weekend flea market.

I like the Shantytown idea, but they sort of tried that on 45th St for a while with no so great results.

Maybe they could try some new restaurants over there, but without a bay view, it could be a tough sell. Realistically, if anything ever shows up there, it'll probably be chain stores / fast food.