+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Sand Dollars

Interesting article

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2017/11/...e-action-plan/

A good starting point in my opinion. We will see how much they cave to the restaurant and chamber pressure starting at tonight's meeting. Not sure if this will affect H2OI that much but I think eliminating the use of the inlet and convention center use may doom the Cruisin shows.

Sand Dollars
    Of course it will doom those two shows. Because that's the entire show! It won't be possible to stop it this coming year, I don't think, because of commitments already contracted to. But future shows could be in jeopardy. Why just these three shows? They need to also stop Jeep Week, Bike Week, and the car and truck show in June as well. Just to be fair. But let's face it, the H20i show is the main reason for all of these bans. And the sad part is, Ocean City has nothing to do with the actual show because it is held in Berlin. It's not even sanctioned by OC. It was even officially cancelled by the organizers and the "show" didn't even happen. These were just idiot kids who decided to go and raise hell on their own. And I follow them on FB and they're already saying that no matter what OC does, they're still going to go and "tear up the shithole town". (sorry, quote) They can show up at any time. They can show up during Sunfest or Springfest, or during Senior Weeks or the Air SHow.
    We've gone to nearly every Cruise'n OC in May for as long as it's been held, well over 20 years. Yes, we've seen some guys get on their rides from stoplights. I nearly got hit while sitting in front of the Convention Center in a chair watching the rides when a car came up over a curb. But it is more the MASS amount of people and cars that is part of the problem. Then came the clowns in their diesel trucks packed with kids in the beds who thought it was fun to fill up the beds with water to throw on bystanders or to throw open cans of beer at people. That got a law passed against anyone riding in a truck bed. Big no no, and it was reduced immensely. It used to be fun to "cruise" Coastal at night in the lights with the windows down and have people check out your cars. But then it got crazy nuts traffic wise and would take 2 hours to get 1/2 mile, so now when we go, we park the car after dinner on Friday and don't move it until Sunday when we leave. And we enjoy it that way.
    But once these clowns in their junk rice cars started coming with their "we don't give a crap about your town or laws" attitude began showing up in multitudes, driving like idiots, cutting people off, and becoming a danger to everyone, then things took a bad bad turn for all of the shows.
    I have no solutions for these problems aside from giving those kids a major attitude adjustment with a good baseball bat. The city needs to do something about it for sure. But just what, and who is going to pay for it all, remains to be seen.
    I like the idea of limiting lanes, but what a traffic nightmare that will be. Speedbumps for sure will help. Checkpoints? I don't think they'd be able to handle the volume of cars involved. Immediate impound for violations sounds like a great solution for certain offenses. But which ones?
    Honestly, I wish there was a breakdown of how many cars during the oldies cruise shows, were actually cited and were REGISTERED participants of the show, as opposed to those who were cited but weren't. They keep blaming those people, but I still say it's people who are NOT part of the shows who are committing the most violations. How can they tell? Because each registered car has a sticker on their windshield saying they are registered. Otherwise, there is nothing if you're not. So it would be very simple to tell. And maybe if you ARE registered and you violate the ordinances and laws, then immediate impound as well.
    There won't be any easy solution here that's going to make people happy no matter what. I wish the town luck dealing with this issue. It's lose, lose no matter what.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Good post, Z06RL. You are so right about the main problem here being the H2Oi brats. And I sure can't see how not allowing the Cruisin shows people to use the Convention Center & Inlet Lot is going to have any effect on the H2Oi jerks. That's penalizing the wrong people. The only answer to the H2Oi problem is more, much more, law enforcement. The police/mayor/council have to monitor the websites (mostly Facebook pages) of H2Oi & be prepared to call in reinforcement before trouble starts. I, too, read the H2Oi Facebook page & I'm just totally amazed at the total disregard for other people that those jerks have. They are so into the "Me, Me, Me" culture, "I'm gonna do what I want to do & no one is going to stop me!" I just have to wonder where the heck were their parents when these kids were growing up. I use the term "growing up" loosely as they've never actually grown up & that's the problem. They don't care if they absolutely destroy OC, they'll just move on to somewhere else.

Sand Dollars
    I agree H2Oi is the worse but the two Cruisin' weeks have become unbearable also. It wasn't like this 10 years ago. It is just a matter of time before one of these idiots jump a curve a kill a family on the sidewalk.

The reason Jeep Week, Bike Week and Corvette Week do not face the same scrutiny is obvious. They compared events on a scale of one to five. The results were mentioned in the article. Speaking as someone that is down there almost every weekend the difference between the 3 events facing scrutiny and the 3 that are not is obvious. Bike week (other than the noise) causes little problems. As for Jeep Week and Corvette Week, I really don't even notice when they are happening. Having said that there is no reason to think the idiots can't hijack Jeep and Corvette week and take that over as well.

Sand Dollars
    Well, Corvette "weekend" is really only one day. Years ago, it took place at Northside Park. It was nice there, parking on the grass in such a pretty area, and the actual show where they compete for trophies, is usually from 9 a.m. to noon only. That part is now held at the inlet on pavement. Better for the cars, especially if it rains, but this year was one sandy mess both at the inlet and driving the boardwalk. There wasn't one clean Corvette that drove up the boardwalk this year. The parade is held at 4 o'clock, and then after that, there's nothing. They have a dinner and trophies Saturday night at the Clarion, and then that's pretty much it. So no, the Corvettes aren't a problem really. But there's also a good reason why they don't tear around the town. The price of those cars for one thing. Another being that OC''s roads have so many dips in them, and getting anywhere into a restaurant or business can be a real challenge because of the elevated or raised entrances. A lot of them (including us) have to come to nearly a complete stop or take a turn into anywhere at an extreme angle. So because of that, it would be really difficult to "peel out" onto any roadway . Plus the fact that most Corvette owners are older and we've learned that while it might be fun to race down the road, we wouldn't want it going on in our neighborhoods, so we try not to do it in someone else's.
    I know this year, the word got out to all of us attending the Vette weekend to please be respectful and obey the law in OC. I'm not saying everyone was a saint. I'm sure there were some who wanted to relive their rodder days and do some silliness and maybe got on the gas pulling out. That happens. You're going to have some who do that no matter what they drive.
    I don't want to see these laws affect all of the car shows, but to single out two or three will most likely have the opposite effect for the H20i guys and gals. They amy see that there are shows where rules aren't as enforced, and then decide to come then. We could end up with them there during Vettes, or having seen how many idiots were dug out of the dunes this year, they could figure that since it's Jeep week and Jeep's are allowed on the beach, that they can come and do it legally now.
    This is definitely not going to be an easy solution nor one where everyone is going to be happy.
    I for one will be sad to see an end to them because it's been the main draw for us to come to OC as we've aged in the last few years, rather than going peak season and fighting the crowds of summer. If they end, at least I can still say we enjoyed it at its best time and have no regrets about attending them. It was always a good time.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I really don't have an opinion one way or another with respect to the Cruisin events. I am surprised, however, by the rankings. I really don't think it matters who's registered or not. I looks like the goal is to make the Cruisin sponsor find another place. I think what's going on is that even though people from Cruisin and H2Oi rent rooms, they don't spend enough to justify all the additional resources. From the restaurateurs I know, they aren't huge fans of the Cruisin events. Business really doesn't jump up during those events like Bike Week despite having similar attendee numbers. They don't tip well either. This is just what I'm told.

On the flip side, it's a cool event speaking strictly from the car perspective. I used to take my son down for the spring event every year when he was younger. Maybe shutting down the streets after a certain hour is a compromise. I don't know the logistics but it seems all the issues are at night.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Spring cruisin' OC is a GO. Now, I hope they hammer all the chucklefarks who aren't registered and ruin it for the rest of us.

Sand Dollars
    I'm wondering if there are others like my husband & myself. We don't come to OC during "the season" because we don't want the large crowds, difficult parking, high motel/hotel rates. So we chose a time in the spring & fall when there are NO special events, or, at least we used to. Now there are so many event weekends in the fall when the weather is still decent that we've started coming on Sunday & leaving on Thursday or Friday to avoid the crowds. We've had waitresses in 2 different restaurants tell us that the Crusin weekends are not big business boosts for them &, yes, as someone previously said, those people are not good tippers. They think that the bikers bring more business & are much better tippers. They say that it seems like the Cruisin people get motel efficiencies or condos & bring food with them, the bikers who ride their bikes to OC can't do that. Maybe it's true, maybe it isn't, but that's how they feel.
    I do hope that the H2Oi mess can be resolved without hurting business much. If it isn't resolved in some matter it will destroy OC as as family vacation place. And, if those guys (& gals) show up at just any ole show that will really be bad news for OC. Having them there one weekend a year is bad enough, but to have these brats take over several weekends each year will just be too much. There is not an easy solution!

Sand Dollars
    I've always wondered about the 100% validity about some of the people in restaurants saying it's not a big boost. If it isn't, how come we have to wait an 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get a table at the restaurants we try to eat at for supper? We've even tried to go as late as 8:30 and still had to wait 45 minutes. As for tipping....I usually tip 17-18% everywhere unless it's great service then I tip at 20%. If the server walks by our table with empty glasses sitting there more then twice and still doesn't refill them or ask to refill them and I have to ask them to, then guess what? They don't get the 20%. Happens 9 out of 10 times. Especially here in Gettysburg.

Sand Dollars
    I have been to OC during both Cruisin events (spring & fall), Bike Week, & on lots of non-event weekends, we have never waited 1 hour for a table at any restaurant. We would not wait that long, no restaurant is worth that kind of a wait. I only know what the waitresses told me. I know when we were there during a Cruisin weekend we didn't have to wait at restaurants for a table for more than 15 minutes. Maybe you'll going to different restaurants. I so agree with your tipping plan. I really hate it I have to wait, wait, wait to get something from a server. I totally believe in tipping according to the service received, not according to some pre-set %.