Sign Up|Sign In|Contact|Advertise
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Senior Member OCGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    750
    Sand Dollars
    5,902
    Jozo,
    404 still has a bunch of 2 lane stretches in MD and DE. The construction is converting the MD piece 4 lanes the whole way, but the DE stretch will remain 2 lanes and DE says they have no plans to upgrade. DE deciding not to upgrade is interesting, because if one is going to the DE beaches from the Bay Bridge, 404 is the best route.

    Bob,
    I got caught in the same 404 construction traffic as your wife for Endless Summer. I sat in the same place for abut 40 minutes for no clear reason other than just general construction activity. I should have paid attention to the times predicted by Waze.

    p.s., I took a bunch of picts of the Endless Summer BW parades on Friday and Saturday. Is you Challenger among them? Go to Flickr (www.flickr.com) and do a search on the terms Challenger and KTS (Or look here) to see if it is.
    Last edited by OCGuy; 11-02-2017 at 11:05 AM.

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    697
    Sand Dollars
    4,194
    Quote Originally Posted by OCGuy View Post
    Bob,
    I got caught in the same 404 construction traffic as your wife for Endless Summer. I sat in the same place for abut 40 minutes for no clear reason other than just general construction activity. I should have paid attention to the times predicted by Waze.

    p.s., I took a bunch of picts of the Endless Summer BW parades on Friday and Saturday. Is you Challenger among them? Go to Flickr (www.flickr.com) and do a search on the terms Challenger and KTS (Or look here) to see if it is.
    Yep, you got the car. Although you have it labeled as a Charger. The guy narrating the Delmarva Life Facebook feed from the parade called it the same thing. I'm looking right at you from the passenger seat.
    https://flic.kr/p/CfaTNC

  3. #13
    Senior Member bar2008's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Dover, PA
    Posts
    649
    Sand Dollars
    7,252
    Quote Originally Posted by OCGuy View Post
    Jozo,
    404 still has a bunch of 2 lane stretches in MD and DE. The construction is converting the MD piece 4 lanes the whole way, but the DE stretch will remain 2 lanes and DE says they have no plans to upgrade..
    I wonder if it is a $$ issue or Delaware just doesn't want to put the time and effort into the upgrade of 404.
    common sense is not so common

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    195
    Sand Dollars
    1,592
    Quote Originally Posted by bar2008 View Post
    I wonder if it is a $$ issue or Delaware just doesn't want to put the time and effort into the upgrade of 404.
    DelDot is not exactly on the "cutting edge" of construction timing. They will wait until even a 4 lane road won't solve the problem before they "solve the problem". Besides the way most of us Delawarians think, the widening would really be an asset to Marylanders and Pennsylvanians so why spend the money (not realizing that federal funds make up a large amount of highway projects)?

  5. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    71
    Sand Dollars
    879
    I use 404 95% of the time, when going to north OC or lower DE. I am not sure of the mileage difference but I definitely think is faster. The construction has never been a problem for me. There are some shortcuts through the corn and chicken farms!

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ocean City, MD
    Posts
    14
    Sand Dollars
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    Great post. Is any stretch of 404 still 2 lanes? That's one reason we started using 50 a while ago. Thought they'd widened it to 4 lanes all the way, but not sure
    Yes itís currently a mix of two lanes and four lanes. Some construction on 404 but havenít found long delays.
    We go from DC area to north OC, almost to Delaware, usually take 404. Try to travel midweek, so rush hour traffic is not a problem.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    454
    Sand Dollars
    3,062
    50 or 404.....just gotta figure out which has the better Royal Farms.

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    71
    Sand Dollars
    879
    capt----that's definitely 404! Beer much colder and cheaper!

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    454
    Sand Dollars
    3,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Highball2 View Post
    capt----that's definitely 404! Beer much colder and cheaper!
    Went to and came back both ways this week. I have to give RoFo edge to Rt.50. 404 construction looking good though.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    125
    Sand Dollars
    1,625
    To/from north OC, 404 is the way to go.

    Leaving OC will be better than coming in to OC on 404. 404 was completed in November so we haven't had any in season traffic yet, but I foresee a bottleneck just after Denton when 404 narrows down to 2 lanes. (from 4) I expect this to be an issue.

    But leaving OC should be better. Actually in season, I don't take 404 all the way to 50. I bail at 309 (to 213 to 301) and avoid the Rt. 50 backups near the outlets.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Ocean City Maryland Hotels and Info for the Perfect OC Vacation | OceanCity.com
Get SocialGet Social
Facebook Twitter Flickr Pinterest