+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars

Rt 404 vs. 50????

Just returned from a fun week in OC, (other than closing down the condo for the winter).

Craft beer fest was great and Mayor Meehan was there, so we bugged him.

Homeless problem at Caroline Street has gotten really, really bad. They are everywhere and it is a major eyesore. Not being cruel or anything, because these people are refusing any kind of assistance.

Crabs at Higgins weren't bad

Halloween at Seacrets was insane. Wish I got more pics, am sure they'll be posted. They wheeled one guy in in a full electric chair outfit..He even had burn marks all over him.

Weather was great except for one day

Spent half an hour on the phone talking with Mary Knight, City Council Woman. She's very nice and listened to the many concerns of late

Checked out the beach replenishment. Half of those guys are sitting around doing nothing. talked to them for an hour, mostly about football. They're all from New YAWK, so it was like a scene from Goodfellas.

Anyway, a friend of mine who lives near the Bay Bridge told me he always uses 404 to get to OC. His place is on 125th, so not sure if that makes any difference. We're on 29th.

We haven't used 404 in many years, so I'm wondering if this is a quicker route than 50. I always see many more cars in line at 404 where it meets 50; on the other hand, 50 has so many traffic lights and there always seems to be a new one every year. Perhaps it's a time of day/day of the week call as to which route is better.

Thoughts???

Sand Dollars
    Can't answer your travel related question but we never, ever close our condo for the winter. We love OC even in the dead of winter. So peaceful. But, then again, we only live about a 2 hour drive from OC. We did not make it down for Holloween but we usually go to Seacrets for their party. Always a fun time!!

Sand Dollars
    According to my GPS, Route 50 is the fastest route to Ocean City from my place in Baltimore.

Usually, even in the summertime, I have no issues going down, especially after the 301/50 split.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    Can't answer your travel related question but we never, ever close our condo for the winter. We love OC even in the dead of winter. So peaceful. But, then again, we only live about a 2 hour drive from OC. We did not make it down for Holloween but we usually go to Seacrets for their party. Always a fun time!!
    We don't close the place, per se; it's always available for anyone to use. It's just that we ski in the winter and don't get there much.

Just like to give the place a once-over cleaning annually so it's ready for "prime time", clean carpets, refrigerator, take inventory of consumables, check expiration dates and bring home stuff that expires soon, etc. I made a check list a while ago and stick to it, adding & deleting as necessary.

Plus thanks to Comcast's "generous" snowbird plan, there's limited cable for three winter months

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post

Plus thanks to Comcast's "generous" snowbird plan, there's limited cable for three winter months
    That's why we tend to bring some DVDs along when we're down in the wintertime. Although, Sea Local Dot TV / RVG is still on.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    We don't close the place, per se; it's always available for anyone to use. It's just that we ski in the winter and don't get there much.

Just like to give the place a once-over cleaning annually so it's ready for "prime time", clean carpets, refrigerator, take inventory of consumables, check expiration dates and bring home stuff that expires soon, etc. I made a check list a while ago and stick to it, adding & deleting as necessary.

You don't HAVE to take the "snowbird" plan...but I know it saves a ton of money.

Sand Dollars
    When driving to the Bay Bridge from OC I switch between 50 and 404 just for a change in scenery It honestly feels about the same length drive to me though, maybe just a few minutes difference between the two (though now that I live in DE, 404 is definitely closer from my house)

Sand Dollars
    I use both 404 and 50 to go to and from OC. 404 is about 8 miles shorter (Bay Bridge to end of Route 90 in OC), but if there is not any issues on either route, 50 is definitely faster. There is lots of construction on MD 404 now which can slow things down, but that should end in the next few months.

Here is how I decide:
    Driving at night - Route 50, because its faster
    Scenic Drive? - Either one, more farmland and old buildings on 404, more rivers and bridges on 50
    Want to stop at a farm market or for Ice Cream or Saturday BBQ? - Route 404 has more of these options (plus, I love stopping at Vanderwende's - www.vanderwendefarmcreamery.com and Little Wagon Produce www.littlewagonproduce.com )
    Rush Hour Traffic - I try to avoid it, but usually Route 50 - 2 lanes each way reduces impacts of issues caused by slow drivers, construction, accidents, etc.
    Avoiding Speed Traps - Both ways have plenty of speed traps. 50 has lots between Salisbury and Route 90 and near the towns. The 404 route has lots around Denton and in Delaware, especially along Route 113 between the towns
    Leaving from south OC on Route 50 bridge - Route 50
    Leaving from north OC on Route 54 - Route 404
    Leaving on the Route 90 bridge - Dealers choice...

Off season I often take Route 50 to OC and Route 404 home, just to mix it up.
    Last edited by OCGuy; 11-01-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCGuy View Post
    I use both 404 and 50 to go to and from OC. 404 is about 8 miles shorter (Bay Bridge to end of Route 90 in OC), but if there is not any issues on either route, 50 is definitely faster. There is lots of construction on MD 404 now which can slow things down, but that should end in the next few months.

Here is how I decide:
    Driving at night - Route 50, because its faster
    Scenic Drive? - Either one, more farmland and old buildings on 404, more rivers and bridges on 50
    Want to stop at a farm market or for Ice Cream or Saturday BBQ? - Route 404 has more of these options (plus, I love stopping at Vanderwende's - www.vanderwendefarmcreamery.com and Little Wagon Produce www.littlewagonproduce.com )
    Rush Hour Traffic - I try to avoid it, but usually Route 50 - 2 lanes each way reduces impacts of issues caused by slow drivers, construction, accidents, etc.
    Avoiding Speed Traps - Both ways have plenty of speed traps. 50 has lots between Salisbury and Route 90 and near the towns. The 404 route has lots around Denton and in Delaware, especially along Route 113 between the towns
    Leaving from south OC on Route 50 bridge - Route 50
    Leaving from north OC on Route 54 - Route 404
    Leaving on the Route 90 bridge - Dealers choice...

Off season I often take Route 50 to OC and Route 404 home, just to mix it up.
    Great post. Is any stretch of 404 still 2 lanes? That's one reason we started using 50 a while ago. Thought they'd widened it to 4 lanes all the way, but not sure

Sand Dollars
    For Endless Summer Cruisin, I had my truck and the 5th wheel camper and would't drive over 63mph due to fear of blowing a tire out on the camper as they are only speed rated to 65mph. My wife was following behind me in the Challenger. Since we needed to pick up the registration for the show at the convention center I called my wife to tell her to go to the convention center and I would go to Frontier Town to set up the camper to save time. So, she turned off onto 404 and I stayed on 50. She hit some construction and other obstructions on 404 and I arrived to Frontier Town, checked in and was in the process of setting up the camper before she got to the convention center.