Sign Up|Sign In|Contact|Advertise
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Administrator kristin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Selbyville, DE
    Posts
    35
    Sand Dollars
    852

    Goodbye, Wheels of Yesteryear

    https://www.facebook.com/ocfun/video...5075086851814/
    It's been closed for awhile, but sad to see the museum finally go.

    Rumor is that Lidl's, a popular grocery store in the UK, will be put in its place. Could be interesting (and maybe it'll help the J1 students feel more at home?)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Gettysburg, PA
    Posts
    683
    Sand Dollars
    3,969
    That's a perfect spot for a Starbucks or a Sunsations!

  3. #3
    Senior Member kdog2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Charles Town WV
    Posts
    163
    Sand Dollars
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    That's a perfect spot for a Starbucks or a Sunsations!
    Or maybe a Candy Kitchen

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    965
    Sand Dollars
    4,090
    That's a place I always regret not visiting.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Z06RL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    3,217
    Sand Dollars
    7,381
    It is sad. It was one of those quirky places like Shanty Town that we always enjoyed visiting. We were privileged once to have elder Mr. Trimper take us through and give us a personal tour. I would have loved to have owned any of those cars, or even a lot of the memorabelia that was inside.
    Ask an OC Insider

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    965
    Sand Dollars
    4,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    It is sad. It was one of those quirky places like Shanty Town that we always enjoyed visiting. We were privileged once to have elder Mr. Trimper take us through and give us a personal tour. I would have loved to have owned any of those cars, or even a lot of the memorabelia that was inside.
    Shantytown is another one. Driving over that Route 50 Bridge still isn't the same 13 years later.

    I don't think it was talked about much on here, but the last remaining business from Shantytown, Mason's, just recently shut down. It had moved to Baltimore Ave when Shantytown closed. I know a lot of books on my shelf were purchased at Mason's over the years at both locations.

  7. #7
    Senior Member pghDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    269
    Sand Dollars
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    ... the last remaining business from Shantytown, Mason's, just recently shut down. ...
    We loved and still miss Shantytown. Masons was always a cool spot to wander through in its amazing cluttered downtown OC space.

    But to keep us historically correct, I believe the Shamrock Shanty is a former Shantytown business still in operation. They landed in North OC for a few years after Shantytown shut down and have recently moved up into Fenwick.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    965
    Sand Dollars
    4,090
    Quote Originally Posted by pghDave View Post
    We loved and still miss Shantytown. Masons was always a cool spot to wander through in its amazing cluttered downtown OC space.

    But to keep us historically correct, I believe the Shamrock Shanty is a former Shantytown business still in operation. They landed in North OC for a few years after Shantytown shut down and have recently moved up into Fenwick.
    I don't really remember Shamrock Shanty. Is it a restaurant or souvenir place?

  9. #9
    Senior Member lowagony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    York, Pa
    Posts
    116
    Sand Dollars
    1,142
    The large flag is still flying over the area that once was Shaneytown

  10. #10
    Senior Member pghDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    269
    Sand Dollars
    1,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    I don't really remember Shamrock Shanty. Is it a restaurant or souvenir place?
    It is an Irish/Celtic gift shop. As I recall it was right on the tip of Shantytown and the first store encountered from the parking lot. It was a favorite browsing spot of my wife and daughter back in the day.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Ocean City Maryland Hotels and Info for the Perfect OC Vacation | OceanCity.com
Get SocialGet Social
Facebook Twitter Flickr Pinterest