+ Reply to Thread
    Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars

Esskay clocks on boardwalk

Was just checking this article out on the Dispatch and it looks like Esskay is no longer sponsoring the boardwalk clocks and is removing them. I never noticed that they took them down in October (makes sense), but I hope they come up with a suitable replacement.

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2017/10/...rdwalk-clocks/

Not many people really rely on looking at these clocks for the time, but it's a tradition & nostalgia and I hope they come up with something.

Sand Dollars
    They leave the clocks up year round.

I saw that article on Facebook, and I didn't think it was 100% clear whether or not the clocks are to be removed, or just the faces with the Esskay logo.

But, it seems pretty foolish to spend the time and money to remove the clocks just because they don't have a corporate sponsor. Granted, they may be a little obsolete, but I think they're part of the charm of the Boardwalk.

Between the Dumser's on the eastside of the Boardwalk and the clocks, Ocean City's Boardwalk could look pretty different for the 2018 season, and not for the better.

Sand Dollars
    I read that they are normally removed in the fall and put back in spring,guess they will be removed for good this time,just a guess.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by kdog2 View Post
    I read that they are normally removed in the fall and put back in spring,guess they will be removed for good this time,just a guess.
    I thought I remembered seeing them on the Boardwalk during my offseason trips.

Sand Dollars
    According to the article I read the clocks are removed each fall (not sure just when in the fall, probably pretty late) & replaced in the spring to prevent weather/wind damage to them. They are hoping to find another company to sponsor them before it's time to replace them next spring. I agree with Kds, they are most definitely a part of the charm of the boardwalk.