Thread: H2Oi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    The one or two lane idea is not mine. It was City Council's, so it's a definite possibility for next year. I'm sure they're looking into all solutions. But then too, they also have to stay within the law to avoid actions against the town. I'm just glad it's not me sitting in one of those council chairs. I do feel sorry for them, and for the city I love so much.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    I'm just glad it's not me sitting in one of those council chairs. I do feel sorry for them, and for the city I love so much.
    So true, so true. The city council, police dept & chamber of commerce are in a real predicament. They have so many factors to take into consideration. And, no matter what they do, there is going to be complaints & probably legal action. They are really between a rock & a hard place.
    I, too, feel sorry for them & the city. OC may never be what it was for so long. It makes me so mad that a relatively small group can ruin such a nice thing for so many people.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by EllAnn View Post
    So true, so true. The city council, police dept & chamber of commerce are in a real predicament. They have so many factors to take into consideration. And, no matter what they do, there is going to be complaints & probably legal action. They are really between a rock & a hard place.
    I, too, feel sorry for them & the city. OC may never be what it was for so long. It makes me so mad that a relatively small group can ruin such a nice thing for so many people.
    Agreed 100%

It's a pity that you can't take more action to limit criminal behavior for fear of lawsuits.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Agreed 100%

It's a pity that you can't take more action to limit criminal behavior for fear of lawsuits.
    I don't feel sorry for the councilmen and women. I know two of them. They have watched these car shows grow into the crescendo that they have without doing anything about it for the past 5 years. They should not worry about the lawsuits. They have a town attorney on staff right now that they are paying. Any lawsuit and money that they may lose will be minimal compared to the revenue they will lose if this continues. Speaking of lawsuits.....now that they have acknowledged what a problem this is if they DON'T do something extreme and one of these asshats jumps a curb and wipes out a family of four....imagine the lawsuit that will follow.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    I don't feel sorry for the councilmen and women. I know two of them. They have watched these car shows grow into the crescendo that they have without doing anything about it for the past 5 years. They should not worry about the lawsuits. They have a town attorney on staff right now that they are paying. Any lawsuit and money that they may lose will be minimal compared to the revenue they will lose if this continues. Speaking of lawsuits.....now that they have acknowledged what a problem this is if they DON'T do something extreme and one of these asshats jumps a curb and wipes out a family of four....imagine the lawsuit that will follow.
    I hope they do something, anything, before something tragic happens.

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    I officially hit the boiling point when I saw this picture of tire marks one block from our place:
    http://www.delmarvanow.com/story/new...-oi/728000001/

And surely more where that come from. You can clean up the litter, write tickets, make arrests, etc., but the tire marks are a long-term reminder of these little punks and the 11th hour necessity of strong action. Safe to say most locals are in favor of a few inconveniences, street closure, etc., to deter these losers and send them elsewhere. Personally, I walk almost everywhere, so getting around is no problem.

If this event happens again and I'm in town, I may have to keep my car keys or a screwdriver handy when walking the dog at 6am

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    ....................Personally, I walk almost everywhere, so getting around is no problem................
    If one of those H2Oi cars jumps the sidewalk while doing a burnout or other stupid maneuver walking might get a bit dangerous, too.
    I wonder just how many problems there were during the Endless Summer Cruisin' this weekend. Other years there were some problems caused mostly by outsiders crashing that party, especially the diesel pickup trucks.

Sand Dollars
    The mayor announced today that "H20i is not welcome in OC". And that's fine, But H20i didn't happen this year, so why blame the event? Yes, these punks came, yes they did damage, and to be honest, it won't matter what the city plans because this wasn't an event! Those kids could decide to show up in June, July, August, anytime. And as often as they can organize themselves. So while cancelling the event in the future will certainly help, it won't solve the problem.
    There are the kids with the big diesel trucks that are planning to do the same thing in another week or two according to social media. They show up for every car show and blow their filthy black smoke everywhere. They've filled up the beds of their trucks with water and thrown it on people sitting along the street watching the cars. They fill up the beds of the trucks and throw cans and bottles at people. And they're organizing to come again. I for one am hoping it doesn't happen.
    I honestly haven't heard much about any issues this weekend with the cruisers. I have seen a few videos of pullovers, and some burn outs, but they were newer cars and not old enough to have been cruiser cars. And next weekend is the Corvette show.
    So now we wait and see if anyone can come up with any kind of plan to deter these kids. Seems like the more everyone protests, the worse they get. But I hope some sort of plan can be formulated to keep them out or from doing so much mayhem. I really feel sorriest for the people who put together Winefest. They work all year to plan the once a year event at the inlet, and it is a very nice event to attend. But decisions like "checkpoints" before entering the town, or "two lanes open" on Coastal Highway may keep those attendees away, or the organizers to cancel the event all together.
    I don't know. It's all just such a mess.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Question for the mayor: When was the H2Oi event EVER welcomed? Never. It was never a city sanctioned event. You are right, Z, those kids just show up where ever & whenever they decide to cause trouble. And the more publicity the trouble gets them the happier they are. Their mission in life is to ruin things for other people. I did see on their FB page that there's some talk of going to Wildwood next year because so many of them are closer to it. Hopefully, if they do that, they won't have any money leftover to come to OC.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by EllAnn View Post
    Question for the mayor: When was the H2Oi event EVER welcomed? Never. It was never a city sanctioned event. You are right, Z, those kids just show up where ever & whenever they decide to cause trouble. And the more publicity the trouble gets them the happier they are. Their mission in life is to ruin things for other people. I did see on their FB page that there's some talk of going to Wildwood next year because so many of them are closer to it. Hopefully, if they do that, they won't have any money leftover to come to OC.
    In defense of the Mayor I believe he meant the entire "group" wasn't welcome. The event has never been held in or sanctioned by the Town.