+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Report the Trolls

At the bottom of each page is a contact us box. Click it and let the moderators or admins know about all of these spam posts. Today there are nine. They obviously aren't screening new members or need an update.
    And you can also report each spam post. Maybe if we all take action, they will too.
    Ask an OC Insider

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    At the bottom of each page is a contact us box. Click it and let the moderators or admins know about all of these spam posts. Today there are nine. They obviously aren't screening new members or need an update.
    And you can also report each spam post. Maybe if we all take action, they will too.
    Sent an e mail to Tony today. They should be zapped tomorrow.

Sand Dollars
    They have been trolling for about a week. If the admins don't care....why should we. Way too many other sites to get involved with. Later.....I will check in every once in awhile, but like I said....if they don't care, why should we?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    They have been trolling for about a week. If the admins don't care....why should we. Way too many other sites to get involved with. Later.....I will check in every once in awhile, but like I said....if they don't care, why should we?
    I have to agree with you here. It's pretty much just us long timers who are keeping this forum alive. No new blood except for the trolls. And since the admins DON'T seem to care, maybe they'll just remove the forum. There are definitely other OC forums out there to enjoy.
    Ask an OC Insider

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    I agree. I really enjoy this forum and OC. Would like to see more posters in addition to deleting these troll threads.

As I indicated earlier, I contacted Tony and he said he was working on it, but got locked out (????), whatever that means. Said he would have it done today. Let's give it until the end of today and if it's not fixed, send more requests tomorrow.

Sand Dollars
    Tony sent me an email as well and said they were trying to get to it. Hope they do. But then again, I have NO idea what is involved with programming to keep trolls out.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    I have to agree with you here. It's pretty much just us long timers who are keeping this forum alive. No new blood except for the trolls. And since the admins DON'T seem to care, maybe they'll just remove the forum. There are definitely other OC forums out there to enjoy.
    You mention "other OC forums," just which ones are you referring to? Just curious in case this one is taken over by the trolls, or discontinued.

Sand Dollars
    I too, had sent a note about several of them. I'm sure it's all the same source, just using random names to get in. THey typically come in from Russia. The easiest way we were able to block them was by excluding registration attempts from IP addresses, and/or not allowing registration to be completely automatic.
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Sand Dollars
    Take a deep breath and count to 10! As soon as I'm upgraded to an admin I will delete the troll posts. Apparently that happens about once a year or so for no obvious reason, and I also have no idea how to keep them out totally. They are very annoying and should not have stayed up here for as long as they have.
    Last edited by kristin; 09-25-2017 at 09:33 PM. Reason: grammar

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
    I too, had sent a note about several of them. I'm sure it's all the same source, just using random names to get in. THey typically come in from Russia. The easiest way we were able to block them was by excluding registration attempts from IP addresses, and/or not allowing registration to be completely automatic.
    Russian and Chinese IP addresses were the biggest problems when I used to own a car forum. It got to a point where I just banned all Russian and Chinese IP addresses but that I still had some issues but it cut it down 75%. I then switched the registration away from being automatic and still had trouble as they were able to get by the captcha process. It took all the fun out of it and I finally let it die.

Also people, can you please stop calling them TROLL Posts. They are not. They are Spammers spreading Spam. With you incorrectly calling them Troll Posts I was thinking that guy who always starts hater threads on Cruisin' week where the majority of their posts are misinformation and incorrect details was doing that again. That is Trolling.

Ok, I may have just done a very tiny bit of that myself but you get the drift.