Thread: Bike Week

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Thanks to all for the input, about what I expected to hear. We 're oceanfront on 29th, really close to the shore, so the ocean usually drowns out most street noise. Mom's 91, not too mobile and is happy just sitting on the balcony looking east. We might be able to go out on the 18th, don't know yet, she's still in rehab.

Do agree about the biker crowd, most of them are pretty nice, it's just that noise and the mindset that they can wake the dead anytime in the interest of "safety". Would love to rent a Harley sometime and cruise their homes at 4am............or even better, do a Jerry Reed ("Snowman"), from Smokey and the Bandit, where he rolls over a few of them with his semi

Hopefully, most of the noise will be south of our place, but I'm sure we'll hear some of it. Maybe it'll rain in the evening; that sure took care of beach takeover weekend!

Sand Dollars
    I've been riding a motorcycle for many years, own a condo at the Pyramid, and even I can't stand the noise!!! I rode a rented bike with loud pies twice, and I thought I would go nuts. I went to a couple of Bike Weeks, and I may come down to this one just to see if Indian Motorcycles is offering anything special, but I usually avoid it too LOL. And I have to agree - 99% of us are nice and courteous!

PS: Please be careful when making your left turns - it's hard to judge the speed at which that bike is approaching. Waiting just a few seconds might avoid a tragic accident.
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Sand Dollars
    Funny thing about the bikes and the 100 decibel straight pipes installed for "safety":

A few weeks ago I was driving and a bicyclist was riding towards me in the opposite lane. He had one of those little strobe lights on a pole affixed to his bike. Also moving in my direction was a Harley with straight pipes. Even though the bicyclist was around 50' behind the Harley, I noticed him first because of the light. Didn't really see the Harley until he got closer and didn't HEAR him until he passed me because the sound emanates from the rear of the bike

I think the light would solve a lot of the problems and quiet things down, but it's not "cool".

Thinking of maybe trying to go on the 18th and avoid bike week if I can swing it.......also keeping an eye on Irma; new storm brewing in the Caribbean.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    Funny thing about the bikes and the 100 decibel straight pipes installed for "safety":

A few weeks ago I was driving and a bicyclist was riding towards me in the opposite lane. He had one of those little strobe lights on a pole affixed to his bike. Also moving in my direction was a Harley with straight pipes. Even though the bicyclist was around 50' behind the Harley, I noticed him first because of the light. Didn't really see the Harley until he got closer and didn't HEAR him until he passed me because the sound emanates from the rear of the bike

I think the light would solve a lot of the problems and quiet things down, but it's not "cool".

Thinking of maybe trying to go on the 18th and avoid bike week if I can swing it.......also keeping an eye on Irma; new storm brewing in the Caribbean.
    Jozo, you hit the nail right on the head
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post

September is my favorite time to go to Ocean City. But, the bad thing is that its right in the middle of hurricane season.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    September is my favorite time to go to Ocean City. But, the bad thing is that its right in the middle of hurricane season.
    Definitely: It's really a crap shoot for those that don't own and take a chance renting for a few days, knowing that the time they're paying for could be a washout. Guess you could always grab some last-minute bargains if the weather looks good, but it sure is nice having a place here so you don't have to make that call.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Hurricane/Tropical storm will hit during Endless Summer Cruisin' this year and it will be my fault. Here's the rationale. Last October 2016 we had vacation lined up to drive down to Orlando, FL with the 5th Wheel Camper and camp at Walt Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground. Hurricane came through and they had to evacuate the campground because of it during the time of our reservations. Figuring that's how it would play out, we cancelled the trip as the storm was heading to the coast.

We decided we were going to try to salvage vacation somewhere else since we didn't get to use the camper yet for the year. So, we made reservations for Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN for the last week of November 2016. My parents were there for the previous week and they cut their stay short because of the wildfires. They called and said to not bother coming down just in case. Nobody expected the towns would get decimated by fire a day or two later. So, that's 2 camping vacations scratched due to "natural disasters". We haven't had a chance to go camping yet so, we made reservations to camp at Frontier Town for Endless Summer Cruisin'. I hope my bad luck camping disaster streak won't be in play this time.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    Hurricane/Tropical storm will hit during Endless Summer Cruisin' this year and it will be my fault. Here's the rationale. Last October 2016 we had vacation lined up to drive down to Orlando, FL with the 5th Wheel Camper and camp at Walt Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground. Hurricane came through and they had to evacuate the campground because of it during the time of our reservations. Figuring that's how it would play out, we cancelled the trip as the storm was heading to the coast.

We decided we were going to try to salvage vacation somewhere else since we didn't get to use the camper yet for the year. So, we made reservations for Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg, TN for the last week of November 2016. My parents were there for the previous week and they cut their stay short because of the wildfires. They called and said to not bother coming down just in case. Nobody expected the towns would get decimated by fire a day or two later. So, that's 2 camping vacations scratched due to "natural disasters". We haven't had a chance to go camping yet so, we made reservations to camp at Frontier Town for Endless Summer Cruisin'. I hope my bad luck camping disaster streak won't be in play this time.
    Bob: that really sucks and is Murphy's Law to the extreme. Can you post your dates to OC for us, so we can all plan around them?

Hope your next excursion has great weather. Not much to do in the rain but drink and play Monopoly.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post

Do you mind making reservations during the H2Oi?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
    I've been riding a motorcycle for many years, own a condo at the Pyramid, and even I can't stand the noise!!! I rode a rented bike with loud pies twice, and I thought I would go nuts. I went to a couple of Bike Weeks, and I may come down to this one just to see if Indian Motorcycles is offering anything special, but I usually avoid it too LOL. And I have to agree - 99% of us are nice and courteous!

PS: Please be careful when making your left turns - it's hard to judge the speed at which that bike is approaching. Waiting just a few seconds might avoid a tragic accident.
    Hey Pete. My local dealer, Twigg in Hagerstown, is having an Indian Open House on Sept 9.
    Ken