Thread: Bike Week

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars

Bike Week

Just wondered how many of you have been to OC during bike week.

I've always avoided bike week like the plague; have zero tolerance for that obnoxious, unnecessary noise. I'm trying to get my elderly Mother to our condo, as she hasn't been there in over a year. Our schedules are leaving me no choice but to get her there around the 12th for a week or so.

I was in OC during cruising weekend and survived that one OK; just wondered what to expect during bike week and if it's any worse than the cruisers.

Thanks

Sand Dollars
    I also avoid Bike Week. Although, I have been in OC a few times during Bike Week, it's just too loud for me. If you stay anywhere right off the main roads, you will hear bikes, 24/7. Most of the bikers I have encountered seem friendly enough but just with every event, there are definitely some less-than-favorable folks that attend. I feel that Bike Week might be a bit safer, in reference to street safety. There seems to be more racing and peeling-out on the roadways with the cruisers than the bikers.

Sand Dollars
    I have been to bike week over a dozen times but I ride. I love it and have a great time. It's the most profitable event for the local businesses. Yes, it's loud. If this is an issue, take the weekend off.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    We've been there during bike week. YES, it is loud; louder than I like. I will say that the bikers themselves aren't as obnoxious as some of the people who come for other events. And, they never seemed to cause any problems other than the noise. The noise goes on all night, too! If that noise is going to bother you, don't go to OC during bike week. Also, avoid a couple of days before & after the actual event as a lot come to town early & stay over longer. And, be warned; the noise that some of these guys make is much louder than the typical bike going past your house on a Sunday afternoon............way louder!

Sand Dollars
    I love bike week. I do not ride but it keeps things interesting. Bikers for the most part are better behaved than the cruisers, most of them realize how vulnerable they are on a bike. Cruisers on the other hand think they are invincible because they are surrounded by metal, so some of them act like idiots. If noise is gonna bother your mom you may want to avoid that week. Not sure where your condo is located but it doesn't really matter......the entire island will be noisy.

Sand Dollars
    I went to Bike Week each year from 2005-2013, and always had a blast.

It tends to be a roudy, but well behaving and fun loving crowd. In the nine years I went, I never saw one fight.

Granted, it's noisy, and don't even think of trying to get into the bars on Wicomico St (packed to the gills). But, traffic on Coastal has never really been a huge issue.

Plus, they usually have some really good bands at BikeFest at the Inlet.

Sand Dollars
    If it comes down to a week in OC over bike weekend and no time in OC I'd opt to deal with Bike Week.

We have been there for a few years now over bike week and yeah it is noisy for sure. If you are on Coastal or face Coastal it is really, really noisy. Depends on the part of town too. But in our Condo in the 80's, facing the ocean or on the beach itself I can't say it's disruptive noise -- it's kind of a constant rumble. There is always the one moron that decides to burn all the rubber off his rear tire at 3am. Other than this moron and a few like him I've always found the biker crowd friendly and courteous enough.

The heart of the noise is Friday afteroon until Sunday afternoon with stragglers on both ends. And as you might guess it's pretty quiet in the mornings even along Coastal so you can get out and about then. Restaurants are more crowded, traffic is heavy on Coastal (and did I mention noisy?) and the bars overflow -- the latter probably not a real issue for your elderly Mom.

So that said if you (and Mom) can suck it up for a few days and not let it ruin the rest of your week then you should head on down. Especially if you have no other choice.

I've officially entered my grumpy years (some say I had been preparing for them my whole life) and I find the novelty of the bikes makes up for the noise. And just about the time I'm fed up with the noise -- they're gone. THEN comes the really rowdy crowd -- The SunFesters, Oh My!

Sand Dollars
    phhDave, you are right about the bars being overrun by the bikers. We aren't drinkers so that was never a problem for us, we usually get our 'big' meal of the day around 4:30-5:00 to get the 'early bird specials' (yeah, we're cheap!) & we never had a problem at restaurants at that time. And, we never really had a problem with biker traffic, but you do have to watch for them as they can come out of nowhere, or so it seems. Our only gripe about them is the constant loud, oh, did I say LOUD, noise. We always stop at Waterman's on our way into OC as we arrive & the waitresses there have told us that they like the bikers better than any other event group. They are much better tippers..........the Cruis'In people are the worst tippers. Also the Cruisers don't spend as much money as the bikers, they must bring more food with them. If Bike Week is the only time you can come to OC I sure wouldn't let it prevent me from coming. And, remember, Bike Week doesn't really last a whole week, it starts on Thursday & ends on Sunday, officially. So maybe you can plan your trip so that you'd only be there for a couple days at the beginning or end of Bike Week.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by EllAnn View Post
    phhDave, you are right about the bars being overrun by the bikers. We aren't drinkers so that was never a problem for us, we usually get our 'big' meal of the day around 4:30-5:00 to get the 'early bird specials' (yeah, we're cheap!) & we never had a problem at restaurants at that time. And, we never really had a problem with biker traffic, but you do have to watch for them as they can come out of nowhere, or so it seems. Our only gripe about them is the constant loud, oh, did I say LOUD, noise. We always stop at Waterman's on our way into OC as we arrive & the waitresses there have told us that they like the bikers better than any other event group. They are much better tippers..........the Cruis'In people are the worst tippers. Also the Cruisers don't spend as much money as the bikers, they must bring more food with them. If Bike Week is the only time you can come to OC I sure wouldn't let it prevent me from coming. And, remember, Bike Week doesn't really last a whole week, it starts on Thursday & ends on Sunday, officially. So maybe you can plan your trip so that you'd only be there for a couple days at the beginning or end of Bike Week.
    All true.

If you can come down the weekend between Labor Day and Bike Week, that's a terrific time.

A friend and I used to take our vacation from that Friday to Bike Week Sunday, and those first few days were great. Everything was open, but nothing was overly crowded. Some bikers do come down that weekend to get an early start, but it doesn't go full on BW until Thursday

Sand Dollars
    Been here many times during bike week. No problems at all. Yes there is some noise but that's no big thing. Much prefer bikes to the crusin or the hapless H2O crap