+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Ocean City Fish Company (restaurant formerly known as Captain's Galley) - Year Two

We tried to OCFC last summer, and were pretty disappointed.

Before completely writing it off, we decided to try another dinner there this past Saturday night.

I was a little afraid when we got there on a Saturday night in August, and the dining room on the first floor was almost empty. In August, at Captain's Galley, it was usually a half hour minimum wait for dinner.

My wife and I split the crab cake entre and shrimp scampi. I have to say, it was probably the best crab cake I've ever had at this location (Galley or OCFC). I had one last year, but I thought there was a lot of filler). The scampi was some of the best I've ever had.

As always, great dinner rolls and salad bar.

So, I was impressed. The one downside, it's expensive. $33 for a two crabcake entre seems pretty high to me, even for a tourist town. And I wish they'd add sandwiches to the dinner menu. The cheapest entre is I believe $22, but if you're feeding a family, it gets really pricey, really fast. Adding an option for sandwiches would make things a little easier, and maybe entice some more people to come for dinner.

Sand Dollars
    KD, For years I have always found the crabcakes at Captains Galley/OC Fish Co to be the best OC. If you really like crab cakes, it's worth a road trip to Woody's beach bar and grill in Dewey Beach!!

Sand Dollars

crab cakes

DO not get a crab cake at Big Easy on 60...not sure why i thought they would be good...but NO flavor at all.

Sand Dollars

oops OC Fish company

Discovered this place last summer. Had $1.00 drafts all day...so we stopped out had ,,decent happy hour food also...nice view by the bay.. This year see they raised the drafts to 1.50 and it is 4-7... ok,,still good deal... had 1/2 price apps....went out a few weeks ago..still had the drafts for 1.50 but changed the happy hour food.. Not sure why? not such a good deal now..

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmommom View Post
    Discovered this place last summer. Had $1.00 drafts all day...so we stopped out had ,,decent happy hour food also...nice view by the bay.. This year see they raised the drafts to 1.50 and it is 4-7... ok,,still good deal... had 1/2 price apps....went out a few weeks ago..still had the drafts for 1.50 but changed the happy hour food.. Not sure why? not such a good deal now..
    I think they were struggling a bit in year one last summer, so that's why they did the super cheap beer in hopes people would buy food at the bar.

That's too bad about the HH food.

I know they put a lot of money into the second floor, and the layout is completely different than when it was Captain's Galley.

The food and service are great. I think they could stand to offer some cheaper choices (ie. sandwiches) in the dining room on the main floor. If they can't fill a dining room on a Saturday night in August, that might not bode well for their future.

Sand Dollars

OC fish Company another try.

Stopped by OC Fish Company again this past weekend..saturday around 1...NO ONE there...wow.. all the other places in West OC were PACKED...Was Cruisin weekend... and they had NO specials until 3-6 HH... I would think if NO ONE was at my establishment..and the others surrounding me were packed,,,I would certainly try to draw them in...!!!

Sand Dollars
    Honestly..........I think the name change has a LOT to do with their lack of business. It sounds more like a fish market than a restaurant and not everyone who goes to OC is familiar with it. And if you hadn't been in town since the name change, but had been at the Captain's Galley before and were looking for it, you would likely go there and see "OC Fish Company" and think it's a fish market now.

Not to change the subject, but Ember's has raised their Senior Citizen prices to $24.99 on Fridays now. They were $19.99 last year, and $17.99 the year before. Still a good deal for Seniors and for a buffet, but it's getting up there. My opinion is that there is such a glut of restaurants in town any more that there just aren't enough people to pack them all night after night. And in order to make enough to pay the bills and stay open, they all have to raise their prices.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Honestly..........I think the name change has a LOT to do with their lack of business. It sounds more like a fish market than a restaurant and not everyone who goes to OC is familiar with it. And if you hadn't been in town since the name change, but had been at the Captain's Galley before and were looking for it, you would likely go there and see "OC Fish Company" and think it's a fish market now.

Not to change the subject, but Ember's has raised their Senior Citizen prices to $24.99 on Fridays now. They were $19.99 last year, and $17.99 the year before. Still a good deal for Seniors and for a buffet, but it's getting up there. My opinion is that there is such a glut of restaurants in town any more that there just aren't enough people to pack them all night after night. And in order to make enough to pay the bills and stay open, they all have to raise their prices.
    I agree that the new name probably wasn't the best choice in the world. And the rebranding hasn't been 100% successful as there is still Captain's Galley signage outside the building.

For all the money they put into redoing the top floor, I don't know how much they're getting in return.

Sand Dollars
    Went to OC fish Co. last week for lunch. Had crab cakes, and must say I still think they are the best in OC! Cakes were $17. But we went to the fish market down the street from there for lump crab and that was $40 a lb. So I guess crab is in demand!