+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars

Caroline St. Comfort Station/Homeless

The contingent of homeless folks have really begun to take over this area and a few others on the south boardwalk area.

These aren't people that have run into some bad,luck, at the end of their rope and looking for a constructive hand up to re-join society. They are substance abusers who are doing nothing but causing problems by harassing boardwalk traffic and now there are more reports of crime. The big thing here is that they have refused any help to get their lives together; seem perfectly happy hanging out, being a nuisance and demanding a free trip to the hospital when they are arrested (their "right", of course".)

I've had a few run-ins with them over the years and it's getting worse. Sleeping on the sinks in the restroom, shouting out disparaging remarks (which I can handle, but they had my 90 year old Mother in tears one day when I was pushing her past them in her wheelchair).

Anyway, rant over; it is finally getting some attention here in this piece from The Dispatch:

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2017/08/...ugust-11-2017/

If you have a minute and care about the quality of our Boardwalk; please pass along your thoughts to the Mayor/City Council/OCPD.

https://oceancitymd.gov/oc/city-hall...-city-council/

https://oceancitymd.gov/oc/departmen...ce/contact-us/

Sand Dollars
    I had no idea. That is terrifying. And with Bike Week soon, this could get very ugly. Same with the car show in October. Those guys don't want anyone messing with their rides . But I'm not sure what the city can do. Not sure what the vagrancy laws are in Maryland, or if they're up to each municipality. I searched, and could not find any regulations on vagrancy, so perhaps the city needs to pass some sort of law. I do know one thing, there needs to be more police in OC in the summer especially. Definitely not enough.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Not sure what the vagrancy laws are in Maryland, or if they're up to each municipality. I searched, and could not find any regulations on vagrancy, so perhaps the city needs to pass some sort of law.
    Absolutely - if we don't have any (vagrancy laws), let's pass one! We don't want or need a repeat of Montgomery County where they assign themselves intersection medians wearing their fake casts, canes, and limps and panhandle to motorists stopped at lights. Montgomery County has already begun to resemble a slum.
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Sand Dollars
    Gosh, between this & groups, well, really gangs & thugs trying to "take over" OC on various weekends, OCMD is really getting a bad reputation. Sounds like someone was asleep at the wheel when they should have been paying attention to what was happening in town & worked on passing enforceable laws---& then enforcing them!--to protect the tourist trade that makes OC what it is.

Sand Dollars
    I think somebody was mugged at knife point around that location a month or so ago, and it was at 5:00 in the evening.

Sand Dollars
    Hopefully, OC is not following the leadership (or lack of) of the great city of Baltimore!!!!

Sand Dollars
    Before I open myself up to being called names like "bleeding heart liberal" etc....please remember you have no idea of who I am or what my background is. I feel your angst. Something needs to be done about this. Enforce the vagrancy laws....that would be a good start, but remember that MOST of the homeless are people that are suffering from mental illnesses or are truly down on their luck (ex vets, unemployed with no family safety net, addicted drug users etc). The broad brush strokes that these people are being painted with is a little disturbing. Sure some of them are con artists, standing on street corners at traffic signals looking for handouts and then getting in their cars and driving home, but most of these people would rather be at work or home typing on a keyboard about how inconvenient it is to have homeless people interrupting their vacations.

I am not judging any of the previous posts, but just trying to bring a little perspective of those less fortunate than us...but truth be told it is a little scary.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    I am not judging any of the previous posts, but just trying to bring a little perspective of those less fortunate than us...but truth be told it is a little scary.
    I don't link you're a "bleeding heart" at all. I'm a republican and I agree with everything you said. We don't do enough for our veterans, the legitimately homeless and mentally ill. The "bleeding heart" liberal would tell me that all of those individuals on the street corners were legitimate and label me something with a "-phobe" ending. :-) What I don't understand is that it never seems to improve, it just deteriorates further.
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    Before I open myself up to being called names like "bleeding heart liberal" etc....please remember you have no idea of who I am or what my background is. I feel your angst. Something needs to be done about this. Enforce the vagrancy laws....that would be a good start, but remember that MOST of the homeless are people that are suffering from mental illnesses or are truly down on their luck (ex vets, unemployed with no family safety net, addicted drug users etc). The broad brush strokes that these people are being painted with is a little disturbing. Sure some of them are con artists, standing on street corners at traffic signals looking for handouts and then getting in their cars and driving home, but most of these people would rather be at work or home typing on a keyboard about how inconvenient it is to have homeless people interrupting their vacations.

I appreciate you being candid about this, but do you have any solutions to the problem?

I come from a military background and therefore am 100% for supporting our Veterans. The problem in OC is that these homeless people have NO interest in receiving any type of assistance. They are completely happy being a nuisance and are beginning to annex the Caroline Street Comfort Station. And the big factor is the crime. I don't pay attention to the 2 am fights, stabbings, etc. on the south boardwalk, as nothing good happens after midnight, as they say. The stabbing in broad daylight, though, did get my attention.

Just a sample:

Sand Dollars
    ...no I don't believe there is a one size fits all solution. It is not just a Vet problem, it is not just a mental illness problem and I am sure many of them "have no interest in receiving assistance". I wasn't challenging your premise. Apparently it is becoming a big problem in Ocean City as it is elsewhere. My only point was that not all of the homeless are "happy being a nuisance" or don't want help.

....but I DO agree with you. It is a problem. It is up to the leaders (Town Council, Mayor and Police chief) to come up with a solution. Unfortunately, as divided as this country is right now it will be impossible to please all.