+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Dumser's Boardwalk Location Likely to Close

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2017/08/...walk-building/

In what seems like a petty win for the city of Ocean City, the Dumser's Location on the East side of the boardwalk is likely to close and the building torn down because the city decided to throw its weight around after a 50 year agreement for that location to be used commercially expired.

I know there are other Dumser's locations on the Boardwalk, but what is the point for OC to take this space over. There's no mention on how, or if, they plan to use the space.

In a town that his much bigger issues, this just comes across as pathetic to me.

Sand Dollars
    I read this just a bit ago on Facebook. Something smells a little fishy to me. I wonder if maybe the city doesn't already have a possible use for that space in mind. That is such a prefect place for the Dumser's stand to be. And, if that building is 'in the wrong place' what about those other building on the beach side of the boardwalk, the tram station, the souvenir shop, the bathrooms in the beach patrol building, Ripley's Believe It or Not?

Sand Dollars
    It seems odd to me too. But, I agree it's a great spot for a Dumser's, especially with the benches on each side for families to enjoy their frozen treats.

Sand Dollars
    It made me sad to read that story. Dumser's has been in that location for as long as I can remember. It has to be one of their most popular spots. I wonder if someone with deeper pockets is trying to take over that spot...would not surprise me.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCMike View Post
    It made me sad to read that story. Dumser's has been in that location for as long as I can remember. It has to be one of their most popular spots. I wonder if someone with deeper pockets is trying to take over that spot...would not surprise me.
    It wouldn't surprise me either, OCMike. And, as I said in my previous post, what about the other buildings on that side of the boardwalk? There was no mention of them.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by OCMike View Post
    OC Mike,it's a damn shame,thats exactly what it is,a damn shame,that building is a landmark,and they want it gone, $$$$$is driving this!!

Sand Dollars
    Here is what Mayor Meehan had to say about it today on Facebook. He cannot comment any further about the future of the building because they are still in litigation.

"Mayor Rick Meehan
    1 hr
    There has been a lot of discussion in the news and social media about the building built by Mr. Nathan Rapoport at 6015 Atlantic Avenue. First, let me clarify that the town’s actions with regard to this property are against Nathan Rapoport heirs, NOT Dumser’s. This property known as Atlantic Avenue had been dedicated to the public and, by an act of the General Assembly, was accepted as a public way and the Town is responsible to administer the property for the benefit of the public. All rights to the property that Dumser’s former lessor may or may not have are expired. Dumser’s has been paying hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years to the Rapoport heirs, while the true beneficiaries of this property, the Tax Payers of Ocean City, have received very little in return. The court has recently rendered their decision; however, the Town has yet to decide how to move forward with the property. Dumser’s future in this location could be part of that discussion, yet due to pending litigation, that discussion is on hold. After many years, the Town now has the opportunity to manage and maintain this location in a way that will ensure fair return and the best interest for our Tax Payers."
    Last edited by Z06RL; 08-16-2017 at 04:39 PM.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    So if Dumser's is paying the hiers directly, why not just have Dumser's pay Ocean City directly going forward to stay at the location while the city takes the Rapoports to court?

Sand Dollars
    There was a post on Facebook this morning showing a statement written by the granddaughter of Mr. Nathan, the original owner of the building, that explains just how this whole mess came about. I wish I could find it, but I can't remember the FB page that it was on. However, it doesn't really make the city look especially good. And the judge who gave this decision has worked for the city at one time. That sounds like conflict of interest to me.

Sand Dollars
    I remember about ten years ago, Trimper's Rides was in serious danger of closing due to skyrocketing property taxes, but cooler heads prevailed, and I believe they were given a tax break. I'm hoping this will be the case here.

But, frankly, if Dumser's has been paying all that money to the Rapaports based on the prior agreement, it seems really unethical of the City to boot them from that location.