Thread: hoopers crabs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Sand Dollars

Cool hoopers crabs

Live in Hanover Pa...and i drove past the Giant on Carlisle Street. and saw Hoopers from OC was there steaming and selling crabs... I got a 1/2 buscel and surprisingly. they were good. The first one i had wasnt quite done and the first my hubby had was mushy..BUT besides have a light one here and there...they were good.

i have never gotten crabs from Hoopers in OC...but next time down. i may have to try them.

Sand Dollars
    Frankly, I think Hoopers might be the biggest tourist trap in the Ocean City area.

For what they charge, I don't find the food to be very good, especially for what you pay. The last time I ate there, I got a fish dish for something like $25, and it tasted like something that came from the frozen section at the Wal Mart.

The space is completely wasted in my opinion. A place on the Bay like that should have big windows to offer a water view.

Sand Dollars

hoopers

Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Frankly, I think Hoopers might be the biggest tourist trap in the Ocean City area.

For what they charge, I don't find the food to be very good, especially for what you pay. The last time I ate there, I got a fish dish for something like $25, and it tasted like something that came from the frozen section at the Wal Mart.

The space is completely wasted in my opinion. A place on the Bay like that should have big windows to offer a water view.

hmm like i said,,i have never been to the one in OC...but the crabs we got at Giant.were good for the price.... ithink Phillips, Higgins, alot of the "older": places are def tourist traps.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmommom View Post
    hmm like i said,,i have never been to the one in OC...but the crabs we got at Giant.were good for the price.... ithink Phillips, Higgins, alot of the "older": places are def tourist traps.
    Phillips used to be a yearly destination for my family and me during my childhood summer vacations in the 80s and 90s.

But, we've strayed from here once we started to find better seafood places, particularly on the West OC Harbor.

Sand Dollars

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post

I so agree! Since it's been there we've tried it several times & have finally given up on it! It is at such a great location, wish the food was better. The view is terrific, but I also want half decent food.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by EllAnn View Post
    I so agree! Since it's been there we've tried it several times & have finally given up on it! It is at such a great location, wish the food was better. The view is terrific, but I also want half decent food.
    We went there in 2015, and it was my first time there in years, so I was hoping it had improved, but not really. I'll never go back.

Sand Dollars
    I do agree that Phillips isn't the restaurant that it was when it first began. We loved it back in the early 70s, but it has become a tourist trap also. Too many of the restaurants that were nice when they first started have become too touristy. We've been trying to find the ones that the OC locals go to lately, sometimes that 's difficult but when we do hear of one we're usually quite pleased with it.

Sand Dollars
    We went twice, never again, it's a dump!!!! But I guess the location appeals to some...

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmommom View Post
    Live in Hanover Pa...and i drove past the Giant on Carlisle Street. and saw Hoopers from OC was there steaming and selling crabs... I got a 1/2 buscel and surprisingly. they were good. The first one i had wasnt quite done and the first my hubby had was mushy..BUT besides have a light one here and there...they were good.

i have never gotten crabs from Hoopers in OC...but next time down. i may have to try them.
    Carlisle St. has me confused. Is that the Giant south of town, beside Mt. Olivet Cemetery? If so, I think south of the square, Carlisle st. becomes Baltimore.. Or was it the Giant beside the Walmart north of Hanover? Sometimes I shop at the one north of the square and wouldn't mind running into what you did.
    Last edited by Bob Hall; 08-08-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    I included Hooper's on my Dining Guide. http://www.oceancity.com/forums/show...7-dining-guide!

I do agree that it's somewhat overpriced, but there is no better service in OC. NEVER have had a rude or inefficient server, even when there's a full house, Only thing annoying is that they keep bringing out Hush Puppies, etc., before the crabs come out so you will eat less crabs.

Also agree about Phillip's. Still maybe worth one trip here and there, but the quality is down. Funny thing about Phillip's; we were there the first summer after the original owner had died and my wife & I noticed that they had really improved and diversified the selections in the buffet. Lots of cool, new choices. A year or so later, it was back to the old menu.

We went to Embers this year and it was good. Big improvement and they actually know how to prepare the King Crab so the meat just falls out of the shell instead of having to excavate for it.

Was somewhat baffled on the comment about the windows and no view of the water at Hooper's. There is a huge deck outside where every table has a great west view of OC. There are two more places to eat outside ON the water, with a better view. The inside has windows for the upstairs booths, but overall, the majority of the seating incorporates a great view.
    Last edited by Jozo; 08-08-2017 at 05:40 AM.