Thread: The Harbor Inn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    Those out of the way, well-kept secrets are the best. Anyone remember Talbot Street Cafe? It's still there, but looks like it's been converted to a coffee shop. Definitely not how I remember it.

Over 20 years ago, The Beach Boys performed on the sand in Downtown OC. Only problem was it was an alcohol-free event. There was an intermission, so of course everybody had the same idea: rush to the boardwalk and pound down as much booze as possible to put on a nice buzz for the rest of the show. Lines were long everywhere, so my wife and I ducked down to Talbot Street and found the place when it was a bar. Cups with names on them hanging everywhere, but the cool thing about this place was they had Jaegermeister ON TAP chilled to 32 degrees. We did several quick shots of that ("liquid heroin"), and were good to go for the rest of the night.

They were either selling or giving away special Beach Boys Director's Chairs that night. My neighbor go a couple and I tried to buy them from her, as she didn't seem too excited about them. She never would sell them to me. Hacked me off, too because she wasn't a huge Beach Boys fan like my wife and I are.
    I never knew that the Talbot St Cafe was a bar. I've only known it as a coffee shop.

That's a pretty cool story. Are you seeing the current Beach Boys next month in OC?

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    I never knew that the Talbot St Cafe was a bar. I've only known it as a coffee shop.

That's a pretty cool story. Are you seeing the current Beach Boys next month in OC?
    I probably won't go. I think it's only Mike Love from the original group. Would go if the wife & kids were with me, but they'll be in school and she still works (I'm retired, ha ha ) Maybe I'll go if I can find some neighbors to go along.

We went to the 2012 50th anniversary tour and it was really great! Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine Brian Johnson and David Marks (think I got the names right). We're all huge BB fans, so we had a ball.

Mike Love has an autobiography I want to check out.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    I probably won't go. I think it's only Mike Love from the original group. Would go if the wife & kids were with me, but they'll be in school and she still works (I'm retired, ha ha ) Maybe I'll go if I can find some neighbors to go along.

We went to the 2012 50th anniversary tour and it was really great! Brian Wilson, Mike Love, Al Jardine Brian Johnson and David Marks (think I got the names right). We're all huge BB fans, so we had a ball.

Mike Love has an autobiography I want to check out.
    Mike Love and Bruce Johnston are in the current lineup. David Marks still joins them on occasion. I saw the 50th anniversary tour, and it was fantastic. The current band still does video tributes to Carl and Dennis like they did during the 50th Anniversary Tour.

Since then, I've seen the current Beach Boys twice (once with David Marks). I've also seen Brian Wilson four times with Al Jardine and Blondie Chaplin in his band. He's been playing the Pet Sounds album in its entirety.

Mike and Brian both released new books last year. Both are really good reads.