Thread: The Harbor Inn

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

The Harbor Inn

I've walked or driven past this little dive bar on Somerset St countless times, but never went in.

We were leaving dinner at the Marina Deck on vacation, and decided to give it a try. We found a nice little dive bar, with extremely friendly service, and some fun loving, friendly patrons.

We only stayed for a drink, but I'll definitely go back. It's also the oldest bar in Ocean City, in business for almost 80 years!!

Sand Dollars
    83 years to be exact, the owener was offered 1 million dollars for the bar and the 3 small houses beside it.Personally, I'm glad she didn't sell.

Sand Dollars
    My husband often goes fishing from Talbot St. Marina & I walk the boards/shop while he's fishing. I've walked past that little bar umpteen times, sometimes saw a drunk come staggering out of it. It has fascinated me. We once stayed at a motel where the nephew of the owner was manager, he told us a lot of stories about it. My husband & I don't drink so we've never gone in, but I do find it interesting that it has been able to remain where it is for so long. Too many locally owner, long-time businesses have been bought out by large corporations. Just the tiny size of it, especially when compared to most of the other OC bars, gives it a lot of charm.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by kdog2 View Post
    83 years to be exact, the owener was offered 1 million dollars for the bar and the 3 small houses beside it.Personally, I'm glad she didn't sell.
    Was that a recent offer? I read an article that was posted on Facebook that implied that bar's future might be a little murky.

Sand Dollars

Harbor Inn

We stopped here a few times...friendly people.. dive bar... no entertainment..but okay for a drink or 2.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Kds53098 View Post
    Was that a recent offer? I read an article that was posted on Facebook that implied that bar's future might be a little murky.
    I think I read the same article on FB. I assumed that the offer was not recent. The murky future is because there are no family members who are interested in taking over the bar. So I thought that the owner was implying that when she's ready to 'retire' she'll have to find a non-family member to sell to & then there's no guarantee that person won't sell out to a developer. It's kinda sad. Even though I have no interest in going to the bar, I hate to see something that's a piece of OC history gone.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by EllAnn View Post
    I think I read the same article on FB. I assumed that the offer was not recent. The murky future is because there are no family members who are interested in taking over the bar. So I thought that the owner was implying that when she's ready to 'retire' she'll have to find a non-family member to sell to & then there's no guarantee that person won't sell out to a developer. It's kinda sad. Even though I have no interest in going to the bar, I hate to see something that's a piece of OC history gone.
    Thanks, I couldn't remember the reason.

That article actually prompted me to go into the bar for the first time. I hated the thought of finding out it closed, and I never set foot in the oldest bar in OC.

With the off the beaten path location and no water view, it could be a tough sell as a bar for an investor.

Sand Dollars
    I go ther every year. Defniitly a dive bar with an interesitng clientel. The first time we walking in with our golf shirts on it was (jokingly) suggested we were looking for M.R. Ducks. We've always found the staff and customers friendly and the beer cold!

Sand Dollars
    Years ago it used to be called the "bloody bucket"...seems many people wanted to leave so quickly they went out through the picture window, usually with "help". Quite a lively place back in the day

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Those out of the way, well-kept secrets are the best. Anyone remember Talbot Street Cafe? It's still there, but looks like it's been converted to a coffee shop. Definitely not how I remember it.

Over 20 years ago, The Beach Boys performed on the sand in Downtown OC. Only problem was it was an alcohol-free event. There was an intermission, so of course everybody had the same idea: rush to the boardwalk and pound down as much booze as possible to put on a nice buzz for the rest of the show. Lines were long everywhere, so my wife and I ducked down to Talbot Street and found the place when it was a bar. Cups with names on them hanging everywhere, but the cool thing about this place was they had Jaegermeister ON TAP chilled to 32 degrees. We did several quick shots of that ("liquid heroin"), and were good to go for the rest of the night.

They were either selling or giving away special Beach Boys Director's Chairs that night. My neighbor got a couple and I tried to buy them from her, as she didn't seem too excited about them. She never would sell them to me. Hacked me off, too because she wasn't a huge Beach Boys fan like my wife and I are.
    Last edited by Jozo; 07-26-2017 at 02:44 PM.