+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Anything come of this? I was down this weekend but did not go toward the boardwalk. Saw nothing on the news sofar.

Sand Dollars
    There was a major police presence, things stayed pretty quiet. I think the stormy weather helped as well.

Sand Dollars

college weekend

Quote Originally Posted by DeMan View Post
    Anything come of this? I was down this weekend but did not go toward the boardwalk. Saw nothing on the news sofar.
    we were in OC friday=Sunday..never saw any comotion. lots of police officers had cars pulled over...along coastal highway..But where we were in midtown...mostly families...same as for boardwalk,,went on Sat night. early..no issues...

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    I have to admit that I cleared out of here on Thursday. Haven't heard details, but understand that the OCPD and allied forces did an excellent job of squelching any shenanigans like last year's fiasco. I am preparing to e-mail the OCPD and thank them for a job well done. Urge all of you to do it also, they deserve it and it just takes a minute.

Did anyone attend the Meet & Greet at Starbuck's last week? On Wednesday the 19th, from 7:30-9 am, the OCPD chief and some other higher-ups met with the public on an informal basis at the 17th St. Starbucks. Starbuck's was nice enough to provide free coffee and goodies. I'm usually walking the boardwalk at that time, so I stopped by and had a nice chat with a few officers, including Chief Buzzaro. Also, Councilman Hartman, who's a good guy

They intend to do this more often, so keep an eye on the local papers where it will be announced.

Sand Dollars
    With the exception of the few posts condemning my original post, it appears from reading some of the other posts, that some non-CBW visitors pro-actively altered, to some extent, their activities this weekend because of the potential of a repeat of the past-proven conduct of CBW participants. Some reported that they avoided the boardwalk, especially in the evenings; (may not have wanted to be a target of air-born bottles, trash barrels, etc.). Newspapers made a point of reporting the town's intent to forestall any unruly behavior, by announcing the intended increase of the police presence, especially on the boardwalk. Indeed, watching the boardwalk web-cams showed that indeed there was an increased police presence the past weekend. I am glad that the weekend went off as well as it did, a far cry from last year. As far as the comments made about my earlier post, sometimes one submits very few posts, and then only on matters of import; while others believe that the great extent of their posting gives them some form of sacrosanct credibility to judge others with relatively few post, which it does not. Of course people of limited vision who exhibit a defensive posture when they hear bad news will always cry foul when they hear such news and comment. Some would rather bury their head in the sand and pretend all is well, there is nothing to worry about when history recent history gives uncontrovertable proof otherwise.

Sand Dollars
    The boardwalk was JAMMED Saturday night. I'm talking groups of 40 and 50 young males sitting on the boardwalk walls, girls in groups wearing the most hoochy mama outfits strutting their stuff. Instead of strolling on the boards, most families were rushing to get out of there. It looked like it was going to be a repeat of years past.
    And then............it RAINED. I mean POURED. All night. The boardwalk was dead and empty the rest of the night.Quiet as a morgue. However there was an incident totally unrelated (I think) on 2nd and St. Louis around 2 a.m Monday morning. Two groups (want to say gangs) involving a handgun and an assault. They were caught at WalMart and I believe there were 4 or 5 arrested. Aside from that, it was pretty quiet.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NVROCAgain View Post
    With the exception of the few posts condemning my original post, it appears from reading some of the other posts, that some non-CBW visitors pro-actively altered, to some extent, their activities this weekend because of the potential of a repeat of the past-proven conduct of CBW participants. Some reported that they avoided the boardwalk, especially in the evenings; (may not have wanted to be a target of air-born bottles, trash barrels, etc.). Newspapers made a point of reporting the town's intent to forestall any unruly behavior, by announcing the intended increase of the police presence, especially on the boardwalk. Indeed, watching the boardwalk web-cams showed that indeed there was an increased police presence the past weekend. I am glad that the weekend went off as well as it did, a far cry from last year. As far as the comments made about my earlier post, sometimes one submits very few posts, and then only on matters of import; while others believe that the great extent of their posting gives them some form of sacrosanct credibility to judge others with relatively few post, which it does not. Of course people of limited vision who exhibit a defensive posture when they hear bad news will always cry foul when they hear such news and comment. Some would rather bury their head in the sand and pretend all is well, there is nothing to worry about when history recent history gives uncontrovertable proof otherwise.
    Things must be pretty slow at your Motel since they moved away the highway

Sand Dollars
    Z...I am not sure it was unrelated. Hard to tell but it seems like the writer is hinting at something with the last line of this article.

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2017/07/...point-robbery/

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by NVROCAgain View Post
    Other than some minor incidents I read about on Facebook, it appears this past CBW wasn't nearly as bad as last year.

I just hope the town doesn't let their guard down, and prepares the same way for CBW 2018.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    The boardwalk was JAMMED Saturday night. I'm talking groups of 40 and 50 young males sitting on the boardwalk walls, girls in groups wearing the most hoochy mama outfits strutting their stuff. Instead of strolling on the boards, most families were rushing to get out of there. It looked like it was going to be a repeat of years past.
    And then............it RAINED. I mean POURED. All night. The boardwalk was dead and empty the rest of the night.Quiet as a morgue. However there was an incident totally unrelated (I think) on 2nd and St. Louis around 2 a.m Monday morning. Two groups (want to say gangs) involving a handgun and an assault. They were caught at WalMart and I believe there were 4 or 5 arrested. Aside from that, it was pretty quiet.
    Hey Z: Since you were there, what is your take on the scenario that would have played out if the storms did not arrive in timely fashion? Do you think it would have been anything like last year, or would the increased security have prevented any real mayhem? Your first-hand insight is probably more accurate than the press.

From everything I've read, the crowd seemed to be relatively well-behaved. Did hear somewhere that a group was trying to block the flow of pedestrian traffic on the boardwalk, but moved along when asked to by LEO's.