+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Bayside tubing off a private dock

Hi all. I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. Basically of the 20 years I've been going to OCMD I've never stayed bay side. My group is thinking of getting some tubes to float in the bay off our private dock (we'll be tethered to it) and having a few beers. It sounds like fun and a great idea but is it legal? From what I know alcohol in "public" is illegal everywhere in town. However, floating off a private dock may have different applications of the law.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by axewhlder View Post
    Hi all. I have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to. Basically of the 20 years I've been going to OCMD I've never stayed bay side. My group is thinking of getting some tubes to float in the bay off our private dock (we'll be tethered to it) and having a few beers. It sounds like fun and a great idea but is it legal? From what I know alcohol in "public" is illegal everywhere in town. However, floating off a private dock may have different applications of the law.

Can anyone help? Thanks!
    My thinking is the farther north you are, the more latitude you'll have with booze on a raft. A friend of mine has a bayside place on 94th and him & his neighbors do stuff like that all the time. But if you're farther south, for instance, around Bahia Marina, there may be more enforcement.

FWIW, we've rented skiffs a lot lately and have never seen any law enforcement patrols, but I wouldn't push my luck too far.

Have fun!

Sand Dollars
    There is an ordinance against drinking in public that you may want to be aware of.

"In Ocean City, we take laws related to alcohol consumption very seriously. Drinking alcoholic beverages in public is prohibited. This includes on any street, avenue, alleyway, sidewalk, beach, parking lot and vehicle in any of these areas. Possessing an open container of any alcoholic beverage in public is not allowed."

I would say, just be careful, don't overdo, and keep the noise down so nobody complains.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    We'll be on 32nd St this year. I know most of the "action" is below 28th. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks for the responses!

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by axewhlder View Post
    We'll be on 32nd St this year. I know most of the "action" is below 28th. Just wanted to clarify. Thanks for the responses!
    That's really nice area; I walk the dog back there early every morning, by Back Bay Adventures and then around Penguin Drive. Seems like a pretty calm area, mostly locals.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    That's really nice area; I walk the dog back there early every morning, by Back Bay Adventures and then around Penguin Drive. Seems like a pretty calm area, mostly locals.
    That's the exact area we'll be in. Should be a nice change from in town on 12th St. Love the location but the noise and nonsense sometimes doesn't make staying downtown worth it.

Sand Dollars
    There's a new restaurant inside the La Quinta Hotel on 32nd called Rare and Rye. Everyone is talking about it and says it's really good. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. But you'll be across the street from that, from Anthony's takeout for subs, deli food and brews, close to Coins and Fractured Prune too. Good area.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    There's a new restaurant inside the La Quinta Hotel on 32nd called Rare and Rye. Everyone is talking about it and says it's really good. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. But you'll be across the street from that, from Anthony's takeout for subs, deli food and brews, close to Coins and Fractured Prune too. Good area.
    Anthony's alone makes the location worth it! I'm glad they added a micro brew bar as well. I read about that new place as well. We may have to check it out.