+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Resort Video Guide

Havnt really paid attention to it much, but do they still offer this channel. I remember trying to find it last year but lost interest after awhile. Last time I remember watching it, it seemed like it was nothing but lacrosse games and information on lacrosse in OC. I miss DJ batman and the shows actually going to the restaurants and showcasing the food. Is DJ batman still around even? Was also night that they would highlight nightly events for that evening including happy hours and other musical events.

Sand Dollars
    Great question. I don't recall that station being available any more. I used to watch it all the time. However, I can tell you that DJ Batman is still around but gets very few and lesser gigs than he used to. In fact, it is not difficult to get him to DJ private parties now.

Sand Dollars
    Resort Video Guide (RVG) or at least some variation of it is still around. At least it was as of last season and I doubt it'll go away.

IMHO, it's nowhere near as good as it used to be. I suspect people would argue that it's production values have increased and the shows are more in-line with HGTV, the travel channel and all those things. But I preferred the old DJ Batman, the Stallion and some of the other less polished content.

I guess it's like everything/everywhere anymore ... it's catered to a younger than me clientele! ;-)

I still thank DJ Batman and the Video Guide for turning me on to BJ's seafood skins ... many years ago.

DJ Batman is still pretty active but he's getting old too so I think he's way calmer and less busy than he used to be. I think he does weekly deck parties at MR Ducks and some other regular appearances in OC. I remember when he was so wildly popular that he actually did a gig at Donzi's here in Pittsburgh. Never been to a DJ Batman party and every year I say this will be the year. I think I'll try to get to an MR Ducks party ... they sound about my speed.

Anyway the RVG still has the Candy Kitchen commercials with the traditional jingle. The last few years the Berlin MD jingle has been prevalent and even harder to get out of my head. I watch the RVG a lot when I'm in OC simply because....

I did find "The Stallion" on the internet. He's down in Florida now running a restaurant with his wife. There was some video content from him but those old shows were great ... and I am NOT a Baltimore sports guy.

Sand Dollars
    When we were in OC over Easter weekend we noticed that the Resort Video Guide was missing from the TV lineup. We also enjoyed watching it while there. We weren't in OC last year so I don't know if it was in the TV lineup then or not, it was still there in 2015. We stayed at the Talbot Inn, like staying back at the docks, & DJ Batman was at MR Ducks one night, that was the busiest night of the 4 nights that we were there. In fact, it was extremely busy; the other nights were pretty slow. I forget who the other DJs were who were there, but they sure didn't draw the crowd that DJ Batman did. I also noticed that the crowd at MR Ducks seemed to be a bit older than it used to appear to be. I guess that as he ages so do his followers. I would imagine that the "younger generation" use the internet to get their information on what's happening in OC instead of the TV, so there isn't quite the need for something like Resort Video Guide.
    Last edited by EllAnn; 06-07-2017 at 07:44 AM.

Sand Dollars
    Anyone remember the commercials for The HURRRRICANE ? I can still hear that in my head. And the Candy Kitchen song.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Anyone remember the commercials for The HURRRRICANE ? I can still hear that in my head. And the Candy Kitchen song.

Yeppers! I sure do!

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    The Stallion was a scream; his commercials were so cheesy, you had to watch them.

Pretty much followed Batman from his start in OC back in the 80's. He used to DJ at the Bayside Pub on 28th st (now Buxy's). We could walk across the street and not have to worry about driving home. Still have a Sting album when he was handing stuff out. He said the first person that brings up a contraceptive gets an album. I had 5 condoms on me, and tried to get 5 albums from him. He said "NADA!"

Just found a stack of old VIP cards from way back when......Ocean Club, Big Kahuna, Party Block, Scandals, can't think of some of the others, but they certainly brought back memories.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post

Just found a stack of old VIP cards from way back when......Ocean Club, Big Kahuna, Party Block, Scandals, can't think of some of the others, but they certainly brought back memories.
    He also used to DJ Seacrets on Tuesday's and Fager's Island Deck Parties on Monday's back in his heyday! And then Thursday, Friday, Saturday at the Party Block/Big Kahuna, and Sunday's at the Ocean Club MC'ing the best body on the beach contest! I can't remember exactly, but somehow he would fit Scandals and/or the Hurricane in there too!

Sand Dollars
    All of those old commercials were great.

Sand Dollars
    Bingo baby!!