+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    I just don't understand the mentality here. That will definitely stop me from going. I have no interest in being in the midst of deliberate trouble. Same with Sunfest weekend. It's sad really.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    I just don't understand the mentality here. That will definitely stop me from going. I have no interest in being in the midst of deliberate trouble. Same with Sunfest weekend. It's sad really.
    The mentality is entitlement and disrespect. If these OCMD Takeover punks want to keep the dates, let them. Move the Real Cruisin' event to a different date. You might see some hot rods and classics cruisnin the streets again. I personally know 9 other cruisers. They will not take their cars out Friday or Saturday nights because of the bedlam and 1 doesn't go to the event anymore at all. Without these monkeys on the streets, they might be inclined to do it.

Sand Dollars
    Actually, I think this is perfect. Separate the legit cruisers from the trouble makers. The May "event" won't be an event at all so law enforcement can put the hammer down.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    The mentality is entitlement and disrespect. If these OCMD Takeover punks want to keep the dates, let them. Move the Real Cruisin' event to a different date. You might see some hot rods and classics cruisein the streets again. I personally know 9 other cruisers. They will not take their cars out Friday or Saturday nights because of the bedlam and 1 doesn't go to the event anymore at all. Without these monkeys on the streets, they might be inclined to do it.
    EXACTLY RIGHT, Bob Hall! It all boils down to lack of respect & consideration for others. That sense of entitlement that so many have today. And it really doesn't matter what date the real Cruisin' event is, they are going to show up. I don't know what to do to control the problems with these non-participants, but if they aren't controlled they are going to ruin events like this. More law enforcement is probably the only workable answer, but is apt to make the event too expensive for the city.
    And, to those who say to "locals," "You knew it was a tourist town when you bought property here." Well, when most of the people bought their properties the town was a much quieter, saner place, even during the summer. And those locals weren't anticipating the development of this type of rowdiness.
    Maybe the solution to all this is for the people who are sick & tired of this type of behavior, locals & visitors, to just leave town for a couple of years. Let the town to the bad guys, when they don't have someone to irritate with their obnoxious behavior they're tire of it & go away. Yeah, I know that won't work, nor is it practical, either. It's going to take someone smarter than me to solve this. I sure hope they do it soon.

Sand Dollars
    I'm more inclined to think that the show producers, who also do shows in other towns, will simply move the show to another city, and then OC will be left without the income or the decent cruisers and left with just the trouble makers, but by then it will be too late. And then you'll hear the business owners and locals complaining because their taxes are raised to cover the lost income to the city.
    There really isn't a good answer here.
    Bob Hall, you are so right. And it isn't just during the car shows, but all summer long. I watch one of the local boardwalk cameras faithfully and every day I see it. I see the smoking on the boards, people walking their dogs even though it's not allowed now, hoverboards, openly drinking beer day and night, people with small children on the boardwalk at 3 and 4 in the morning (what on earth are they doing out at that hour?), etc .What I don't see is anyone enforcing anything. There is no respect for rules or property any more and it's just getting worse.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    I watch one of the local boardwalk cameras faithfully and every day I see it. I see the smoking on the boards, people walking their dogs even though it's not allowed now, hoverboards, openly drinking beer day and night, people with small children on the boardwalk at 3 and 4 in the morning (what on earth are they doing out at that hour?), etc .What I don't see is anyone enforcing anything. There is no respect for rules or property any more and it's just getting worse.
    Until there is proper enforcement of those laws the people will continue to do as they've always done. And, the city is very timid about enforcement, especially when it involves tourists. If a tourist is fined for any of the violations that you mentioned they won't return to OCMD & they'll tell their friends, some of whom won't visit OCMD either. It's really a sticky situation for the police. They have to balance losing some tourist money w/ the possibility of gaining some due to the enforcement of such laws. Will they gain more than they lose?

Sand Dollars
    I found video that shows the lifted Black/Blue GMC truck that almost hit me while doing a burnout on Baltimore. The burnout is not in this video
    https://youtu.be/u9ysgfK1Sts?t=1m2s

If you watch this thing to the end, you'll see how out of control Baltimore was. Hose spraying, people in the streets...etc...

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by EllAnn View Post
    Until there is proper enforcement of those laws the people will continue to do as they've always done. And, the city is very timid about enforcement, especially when it involves tourists. If a tourist is fined for any of the violations that you mentioned they won't return to OCMD & they'll tell their friends, some of whom won't visit OCMD either. It's really a sticky situation for the police. They have to balance losing some tourist money w/ the possibility of gaining some due to the enforcement of such laws. Will they gain more than they lose?
    You've hit the nail on the head with this post. I know OCPD has a rough job and many of them are inexperienced summer add-ons, but other than a few speeding tickets, I rarely see them in action. And the smoking on beach, boardwalk, dogs, etc., little rules, that are nonetheless RULES, are not enforced.

I break a few of them constantly and would be happy to oblige if confronted by an officer, but never am. For instance, after dinner on a regular basis, I break 3 beach rules; take the dog, cigar and beer onto the beach end sit for an hour or so. Every night, either the OCPD or OCBP drives by and waves at me. Maybe it's because I'm a local, but I honestly prefer to see the rules applied evenly across the board.

Cracking down on sleeping in cars is a major way to root out the troublemakers. I few years ago, I was up early and noticed people sleeping in a car outside our building. First thing that entered my mind was where they went to relieve themselves in the middle of the night. Came across a couple of officers at McDonald's and told them about it. Believe it or not, before I got done walking the dog, they had roosted the occupants out. Told me that enforcing sleeping in cars almost always leads to a drug bust.

I don't see how stepping up enforcement of some basic rules is going to put OC in financial difficulty.

Sand Dollars
    And there's the problem. Entitlement because you're a local. You KNOW the rules, yet you willingly admit to breaking them. You're part of the problem rather than the solution. You're not special. The rules apply to you too. Makes me steamed. It's not the police not enforcing the rules that's the problem. It's people like you who deliberately break them.

End of rant.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I've been going to OC since the 70s. I can assure you today isn't significantly different than 40 years ago with respect to "quietness" or "sanity".

Agree with Z. If you ignore the laws yourself, don't complain about others that are doing the same.
    Ken