+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    I disagree with the segregation between registered and non-registered participants. Anyone who comes down and becomes part of the "crowd" is a participant. I think this is the only event that actually has registered participants.

Given that, I tend to believe people's comments here are somewhat exaggerated by their feelings towards specific groups in general. I've been down for Cruisers, H2O, and bike week several times-bike week more than the others. It's always never as bad as what people say/post after the fact. If you're a property owner/full-time resident and this bothers you, avoid OC during these events. Without them, you'd have no OC.

Locals really underestimate the financial importance of these events.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    You're wrong in saying it's the only event with registered participants. You have to register for both cruise in's (May and October). You also have to register for the Corvette show, and for the bike shows. As for the June show, I have no experience with that one. And H20i isn't an Ocean City sponsored event or even held in OC, but unfortunately it's where they all end up at night.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree on car shows. Someone is always going to complain, and someone is always going to defend.
    It's all good.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I'm not sure what bike shows you're referring to. I've never registered to go to bike week. My first point is that registration shouldn't be part of this discussion.
    Ken

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Getting back to solutions and what can be done to improve this weekend.

I think we all agree that weekends like this, bike week, etc., are a necessity in a resort town such as OC. If I owned a hotel, restaurant or even a cigar shop, I'd definitely welcome the business and profit.

And we all agree that changes are going to have to happen. I've been SMH over this and not getting anywhere. The best idea I've heard so far is to move the show to April. I feel that would be really good for businesses that don't normally profit much in whatever April week is selected. Those that open in early May might open up a week or so early to capitalize on the crowds.

Beefing up law enforcement is a no-brainer. Maybe a goofy idea, but why not have the MD National Guard in town for some training exercises and publicity booths at the inlet and Convention Center? Just their presence might deter some of the shenanigans.

Also, serious and stern dialogue between the promoters of the event and OC Mayor/Town Council with the warning that if things don't improve, bye-bye.,

A lot to think about, but enough time to figure something out..........that being said, I'm still holding my breath for late July and the "college weekend takeover"

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum View Post
    I'm not sure what bike shows you're referring to. I've never registered to go to bike week. My first point is that registration shouldn't be part of this discussion.
    Registration should absolutely be part of the discussion. The extreme vast majority of the problems caused aren't by cars with the registered placards or even eligible to be registered for the event. 90% of the videos being posted on the various facebook groups are non eligible vehicles. Just like last year OCPD is going to be using the videos to identify the offenders and attempt to issue citations. Without the registered cars, you don't have this event.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but what are exactly the ordinances in OC for Loitering and pubic consumption of alcohol? The beach side of the Baltimore's sidewalks were packed. While "cruisin" on Baltimore, I noticed many beer cans in hands and laying on the ground. Many were holding Solo cups too. I assume, many weren't full of water/soda/fruit juice. Many people on that street from both sides were throwing water on the street. I even had 2 nice looking young women step out in front of me in the left lane in order to get me to do a burnout. Didn't do it. They let me pass and they did the same thing to my wife in our Challenger and my wife said they stepped aside when they saw it was a woman driving. Guess they figured eye candy weren't going to work on her. Somehow, the police need to stop this. I don't know how unless there are loitering and public consumption ordinances. Can they cite bystanders for throwing water onto the road in order to get cars to burnout?

Now up at the WaWa, that was pure bedlam. I didn't see any alcohol consumption, but the crowd was insane there.

Jozo,
    Not sure if the "stern dialogue" will be called for. The majority of the problems caused are not due to the "REGISTERED PARTICIPANTS" of the show but the "Hanger-ons". I know of one person with that organization who is not happy with the trucks, mustangs, imports and anything that isn't Pre-76 who isn't registered causing problems. The only way to stop this is to cancel the event all together. With the news of it possibly being moved, a lot of the trouble makers who populate the facebook groups are responding that they will still show up during the week it should be and their response in the FB posts are "I'm still going to send it" Which translates to "I'm still going to act like a punk douchebag"

Check out these articles:
    https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2017/05/...ceptable-week/

http://www.wboc.com/story/35511052/c...-on-ocean-city
    If you have time, read the comments.

Here's a sample of the bedlam up at WaWa.
    This guy in the following video did a 1 block long burnout to show off to the crowd. Police witnessed it. He claims he was registered for the show, but if he was it was done under false pretenses as that Malibu is a couple of years newer then 1976. The cops do a half ass job of crowd control after the burnout. This guy literally attained celebrity status that night Just look at the title of the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0uAgX3IR2I

Closer up view taken from the hotel he was staying at.
    https://www.facebook.com/mandi.mowre...8741229445603/

What the video doesn't show is the cops directing him to the the 7-11 down the street in order to cite him. He was issued roughly $1,000 in fines but that isn't going to deter him for the next time as people were literally throwing money at him to pay for them. Here is the video of "making it rain" literally, money being thrown to him:
    https://www.facebook.com/mandi.mowre...8741308305603/

That car is tagged as a PA Antique Vehicle. In it's current condition, it is 1000% illegal tagged that way. If you look up Brandon Good you'll see that wasn't his first rodeo.

Oh, here's a facebook live video shot of a car doing a 3 block burnout. It must be a figment of someone's imagination though as it's done by an import and that's not their thing apparently.
    https://www.facebook.com/john.sabal....3524135838653/
    There's dozens of more videos of imports from the event racing and burning out.

I've roughly watched 150 videos from the event and the ratio of Non Pre-76 cars to Pre-76 cars causing mayhem is roughly 4-1. I'm not saying the registered cruisers are 100% innocent but there is evidence out there showing who and what the real problems are.

Sand Dollars
    Sorry Bob. I disagree. Are you proposing they make the Cruise in events invitation only or close OC to those who aren't registered? Understand that the "hanger-ins" and the others that show up solely as spectators far out number the number of participants, which means they represent a greater financial impact to the city. The solution is 2 fold: make the event earlier in the year, greatly reducing the number casual vacationers, and step up the enforcement of traffic violations. That's about all you can do.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Well, here's one result of all the moaning about the trucks. They've decided to organize and have their own "unsanctioned" show Sept. 21-24, which also happens to be Sunfest weekend. And believe me, there is a LOT of interest and a lot of conversation going on on their Facebook page about it, and how they're going to "blacken the town". Yes, the city is already well aware of their plans and will be closely watching.
    I don't understand the mentality here. I just don't get why people think they have to show off by causing trouble. Immaturity? I guess, and it isn't just kids who suffer from this. Disrespect? Definitely. Rebellion? I get that, but we rebelled too, but we didn't cause harm or do damage to prove our points.
    I really blame social media, YouTube, FB, etc. Everyone sees someone getting away with something and thinks "I can do that and get away with it too".
    *sigh* It's just a mess, and it's really a shame that such a fun event is being in danger of not happening in OC any more.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Sorry Bob. I disagree. Are you proposing they make the Cruise in events invitation only or close OC to those who aren't registered? Understand that the "hanger-ins" and the others that show up solely as spectators far out number the number of participants, which means they represent a greater financial impact to the city. The solution is 2 fold: make the event earlier in the year, greatly reducing the number casual vacationers, and step up the enforcement of traffic violations. That's about all you can do.
    Making it earlier in the year won't do what you think. It will KILL the event. Many people from New York, PA, New Jersey, Ohio, and elsewhere still get snow in April so they won't even consider or bother coming. Vendors don't want to come to an event where they aren't going to make any money, or where the weather would really be a "maybe". So what's left? The troublemakers. And that defeats the whole idea of moving it to April. I hope that doesn't happen.
    Ask an OC Insider

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Well, here's one result of all the moaning about the trucks. They've decided to organize and have their own "unsanctioned" show Sept. 21-24, which also happens to be Sunfest weekend. And believe me, there is a LOT of interest and a lot of conversation going on on their Facebook page about it, and how they're going to "blacken the town". Yes, the city is already well aware of their plans and will be closely watching.
    I don't understand the mentality here. I just don't get why people think they have to show off by causing trouble. Immaturity? I guess, and it isn't just kids who suffer from this. Disrespect? Definitely. Rebellion? I get that, but we rebelled too, but we didn't cause harm or do damage to prove our points.
    I really blame social media, YouTube, FB, etc. Everyone sees someone getting away with something and thinks "I can do that and get away with it too".
    *sigh* It's just a mess, and it's really a shame that such a fun event is being in danger of not happening in OC any more.
    Social media is how the "college takeover weekend" got organized and we all know what happened that weekend. As for the unsanctioned truck event, at least the city is aware of it and can take necessary action.

The best we can all do is to communicate with the Mayor/City Council, it's easy on the webpage. Also attend any meetings where there is discussion. I don't think the car show will ever be eliminated, but is has to get better and more monitored.

Sand Dollars
    Well, moving the event earlier in the year may not solve the problem now. The Hanger-ons have started a "OCMD Takeover 2018" movement and it's gaining traction. It means that if the show is moved or cancelled they will still show up on the original dates and there will be the same issues with the exception of 3500 less registered show cars.
    https://www.facebook.com/OCMDTAKEOVER/

From their Admin posts:
    The back up to "Cruisin OCMD" in case the actual event that started it all, is cancelled or moved. This is about what the event has grown into... But without the vehicle style and age restrictions, and without the Inlet & Convention center events that quite honestly most of us are too modern to participate in.

another one:
    If you join this page to poo poo on the back up plan of the TAKEOVER, or want to bring the same whinning and complaining from the "Cruisin OCMD" page about how its all negative... this is your only warning. You will be removed and banned.

Feel free to stay home next May.

Here's how they feel about the locals:
    IF you want to complain that this tourist event is inconvenient for you because you live in OCMD (a tourist town) & "pay taxes," THIS PAGE ISN'T FOR YOU.

How they really feel:
    I created this page in event that "CRUISIN OCMD 2018" decides to change it's date, or gets cancelled. I hope it does not come to that, but if so... and u enjoy what this event has grown into, and if you would still go down this same week to cruise, even if the inlet and convention center events stopped or moved... THIS IS THE PAGE FOR YOU.

This page is for everyone who loves the cruise, just the way it is. Not for those who complain about the thousands of us who come down and spend millions of dollars to feed this tourist spots econonomy the week before the actual shore spot season begins.

"Cruisin OCMD" started this awesome event, for vehicles that are pre 1976, where the boardwalk cruise, the Inlet show & the convention center are limited to older vehicles.

This page is for what has grown from those events, that is not age or vehicle type specific. The actual daily and nightly cruising, the meets and get togethers for vehicle lovers of all ages that are not restricted to the year or style vehicle that you drive.

SPREAD THE WORD and INVITE INVITE INVITE, & hopefully we can keep this event going... same time of the year, same great location, whether "CRUISIN OCMD" continues or not.

Here they justify being an asshat because the fines bring in money:
    If you wanna roll the dice... its on you. No need to cancell the event over it. Hell the citations alone generate plenty of money for the town. That plus the thousamds of us spending millions only make sense not to end the event.

So, up above illustrates the attitude of why the event has turned out the way it has. For Jozo, as you can see, this is out of the hands of the event organizers, Special Event Productions. They don't want these clowns down there either. OCPD needs to make a call to the police departments of Virginia Beach and Wildwood and get some pointers. Those two towns had events that started to get out of control and they cleaned it up.
    Last edited by Bob Hall; 05-30-2017 at 09:59 AM.