+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Cruisin - What a cluster!

For a while now I have been complaining about the double standard that the town, (Including OCPD) has shown in regards to import car weekends and Cruisin. I was down there this past weekend and it was a complete cluster. It validated my belief of the double standard.
    Let's discard the power outage on Friday which created a mess as that was not something the town could control.

Saturday had an unbelievable amount of traffic. I have a home in Caine Woods (136th and up). A residential community. My neighbors and I were basically trapped in our homes as the traffic was not moving for most of the day. My one neighbor had no idea and was wondering why his Uber requests kept getting cancelled. I tried to venture out during the day but had to turn around. It took me 20 mins to get from 125th st to 123rd (where I decided to bail and turn around).

Later in the early evening (around 8pm) I was able to get out and drove a bit. I saw 1 police car on my drive between 145th-65th. For H2Oi, the town brought in State Police but for this show, I didn't see any police (well except for that one). How is that possible???? During this past H2Oi, there seemed to be a state trooper at every other intersection.

For H2Oi, cops were pulling cars over and impounding cars for ticky tack "safety" violations. For example ride height. During my Saturday drive, I lost track of the number of Drag cars that I saw. They were very much NOT street legal. When a car has wheelie bars, a parachute, slicks (afaik slicks cannot be driven on public roads), and bicycle tires on the front....it is not street legal. Burnouts seemed to happen at will with no fear. It is like I can still smell the rubber.

The town needs strict enforcement of both shows. Period. Stop the double standard. Stop cars that have legitimate safety concerns. I don't care as much about a car that is lowered to 1/2" below the legal limit as much as I am about a car driving on slicks. Stop the speeders. This is my biggest concern. And for my biggest pet peeve......stop people from using the buses/bikes/right turn only lanes as their personal express lane. Nothing gets my blood boiling hotter than being stuck in traffic on coastal hwy and seeing cars using that lane and driving through intersections.

There were also people everywhere on lawn chairs drinking beer. Literally no one seemed to care about this.

Also, the graphic signs that many people were holding up were annoying. I had my kids with me on my drive on Saturday night.9 and 6 years old. And I turned around at 65th because it seemed that the further south I went, the lewder the signs became.

Let's also keep this discussion civil please. Previous ones have devolved into nasty arguments.
    Last edited by Cobra617; 05-25-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Sand Dollars
    They plan to move it to April next year. I don't think you're alone on this one.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum View Post
    They plan to move it to April next year. I don't think you're alone on this one.
    Ken,

Yeah I saw that plan. I don't know that it will make much of a difference. I would have liked to have seen them bring in State Troopers like they did for H2Oi. For years, I thought that the town would always give the Cruisers a nod and a wink while cracking down hard on other shows.

It was terrible that someone was killed. But it doesn't look like speed had anything to do with it. (Some question as to whether the driver was impaired).

I have been expecting a tragedy for years from this event. But I was thinking it would be someone losing control on a burnout and plowing into a crowd of onlookers.

We have an import car show coming up on June 10th.That one tends to be "mild" so I don't expect many problems there. For H2Oi I hope that they ease up on the ridiculous enforcement of safety violations but crack down even harder on reckless drivers.

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    This was actually my first experience with the car show, since we're usually not there that weekend. One weekend we avoid is bike weekend, as I can't stand that obnoxious noise form the attention-mongers. Looking like we'll add this weekend to the list.I do agree that some major changes need to happen.

The Corvette & Jeep weekend are extremely well managed and relatively quiet and orderly. As always, it's the fine line between satisfying the business owners, who rely on the income and then safety/law and order. This display wasn't much better than the riot on the boardwalk last year. Problem with those clowns is that many of them slept in their cars and did more damage and disruption to OC than patronage.

I was walking home on Sunday and there was a guy laying in the crosswalk covered in blood; he's just been hit by a "Cruiser" and 4 emergency vehicles were attending to him.

Saturday, I was walking the boardwalk to meet up with some friends who were coming from 94th to see the cars at the inlet. They gave up on trying to get downtown, so I turned around and we ended up at Seacrets, which was amazingly not crowded at all. (Guess "cruisers" don't like Jamaica)

Wasn't too happy about the power outage, either, as I was doing some work and that put me behind. Dog wasn't crazy about all the noise, either.

One thing I missed were the signs people on the street were holding. Supposedly they were pretty rude; what did they say? (if printable!)

Anyway, enough ranting and time for solutions. April is a good start. Wouldn't help locals much, but would be better for the non-cruisers that come here on the weekend before Memorial Day to avoid those crowds. State Troopers also would be very helpful, as OCPD is a lot of seasonal employees with little experience.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say, so sending a note to the mayor & town council wouldn't hurt.

Sand Dollars
    Wait a minute. The mayor said they are CONSIDERING moving it to April, but for now, the organizers have already announced the dates for next year as May 17-20. It's going to take a couple of years to change the dates because there is too much involved.
    Traffic: We've gone for 22 out of 27 years and every year it's the same. If you LIVE down there, you should have already been aware of what traffic is like and planned accordingly. We know. And we live nearly 7 hours away. We do our driving Thursday night and Friday afternoon to the Convention Center, and then park the car at the hotel until Sunday when we leave. As for the police, there were HUNDREDS! They were everywhere! And there were definitely State Police there. They are there every year.
    What I've always hated was the kids who aren't cruisers who come and stir things up and make the whole show look bad. They come with their noisy whiny cars, do burn outs all over town, and drive those jacked up diesel trucks and blow black smoke on everyone or fill the beds with water and throw it on people walking or watching the cars. Thankfully, a law just passed that make it illegal in Maryland to blow that smoke deliberately.
    We're always there for Corvettes and that show is about as laid back as you can get, yet I always read people complaining about that show as well. Let's face it. Residents don't want anything going on in "their" town. No matter what it is. From May to October all they do is moan and cry and complain. Well, it's a resort town. Deal with it.
    Rant over.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    I've been to Cruisin' for the past 13 years. I don't have a cruiser car, but I do enjoy seeing them. A few observations on this weekend:

1. The number of cars in town was bigger than ever. I think the better weather (after sketchy weather last year), better economy, and lower gas prices drove bigger crowds and more cars

2. There were actually lots of cops doing lots of reasonable pull-overs and getting those they pulled over onto side streets to keep Coastal Highway clear. However, there were just too many people doing burn-outs and similar. Down by the WaWa, as soon as they pulled someone over and processed them there would be another one pulled over. In between, there were plenty of offenders who avoided pull over.

3. Most of the more outrageous behavior was from non-registered cars (cars must be prior to 1976 to register, so any newer Mustangs, Vettes, and similar were not registered).

4. There was a tragic pedestrian death, but I remain amazed that no one doing a burnout or similar has lost control and plowed into the large groups of onlookers, which would likely be much more devastating in terms of casualties.

5. Traffic was bad, but no worse than in the past years or during other major events. However, during other events like the airshow and fireworks, traffic is bad for a few hours and in more isolated areas. It was pretty bad all over town from at least 10am to 10pm Friday and Saturday.

6. Stepped up enforcement, if they can figure out how to do it, can work. There were significant issues with people riding in the backs of trucks up to a few years ago. Changes in the laws and enforcement have pretty much eliminated the pickup truck bed riders.

7. Law and enforcement changes have also successfully addressed most of the large parking-lot events that got out of hand in the past. Such events are now generally better controlled as the police now can be given more access to enforce regulations by the owners of such private parking lots. The event at WaWa is big and crowded, but most of the crowd was reasonably behaved. Issues with the crowds tended to be the crowds on and along sidewalks on public property.

I still had great fun at this event, but agree some changes are needed to keep the environment better and safer. If they can figure out how to more effectively enforce some items related to burnouts and unsafe driving that will go a long way.

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Wait a minute. The mayor said they are CONSIDERING moving it to April, but for now, the organizers have already announced the dates for next year as May 17-20. It's going to take a couple of years to change the dates because there is too much involved.
    Traffic: We've gone for 22 out of 27 years and every year it's the same. If you LIVE down there, you should have already been aware of what traffic is like and planned accordingly. We know. And we live nearly 7 hours away. We do our driving Thursday night and Friday afternoon to the Convention Center, and then park the car at the hotel until Sunday when we leave. As for the police, there were HUNDREDS! They were everywhere! And there were definitely State Police there. They are there every year.
    What I've always hated was the kids who aren't cruisers who come and stir things up and make the whole show look bad. They come with their noisy whiny cars, do burn outs all over town, and drive those jacked up diesel trucks and blow black smoke on everyone or fill the beds with water and throw it on people walking or watching the cars. Thankfully, a law just passed that make it illegal in Maryland to blow that smoke deliberately.
    We're always there for Corvettes and that show is about as laid back as you can get, yet I always read people complaining about that show as well. Let's face it. Residents don't want anything going on in "their" town. No matter what it is. From May to October all they do is moan and cry and complain. Well, it's a resort town. Deal with it.
    Rant over.
    Agree with your post 100%............if you live in OC, or own and spend a great deal of time there, you should already be acutely aware of what is going on in any given week. Kind of like stocking up on necessities when 12" of snow is predicted. Don't expect to get to Food Lion or Walmart during certain weekends.

Most of the folks in our building don't live there year round, but years ago, we had a woman that complained about EVERYTHING. For instance, those Vortex footballs that whistle when you throw them. I dropped a few hints to her, but she was clueless.

That being said though, I do feel that this year's cruiser weekend did cross the line, as there were critical safety issues apparent that could have been a lot worse. If nothing is done to squelch this event, more than one person will die and that's unacceptable.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Rant over.
    IMO, this year, the diesel trucks were not as big a nuisance as other years.

I've been in OC for years as we own a home here. We are down here every single weekend between April-November. This years Cruisin was by far the worst experience of any weekend that we've encountered.

I can tell you that the police were not everywhere. If they were out in force, they were below 65th. I didn't see 1 state trooper that weekend and only saw 1 OCPD on Coastal Hwy between 142nd-65th. I did see a couple of OCPD cars driving on side streets.

Why are you bringing up your "hatred for kids with noisy whiny cars"? The vast majority of jackass behavior that I witnessed was not from young kids, but from older men who were driving muscle cars. The import crowds aren't big on burnouts. It isn't their thing. Plus many of them are AWD (Subaru, Audi and Mitsubishi to name a few) and that is not what you do on an AWD car. (Quickest way to trash a transmission) The burnouts were the biggest issue. Every friggin light. We were at the Five Guys on 136th, and it seemed like there was a car at every other red light ready for a burnout. Not a single cop to be seen there. The offenders we witnessed were most definitely not "kids with noisy whiny cars". They were older guys with large displacement V8s, some with open headers.

It gets frustrating to see people constantly bash the younger generations. (I am not of the younger generation....I am in my mid/late 40's) Lest they forget that they were that age too. This show, this year, was about as clear cut example of stupid behavior not being limited to an age group and still we see the younger generation somehow being blamed, when that is NOT what I witnessed.

Lastly, if you give the Cruisers a pass because the trouble during that weekend is from cars that are not show participants, do we give the same consideration to other shows? I bring this up because the Cruisers seem to get a pass from so many people because it is never their fault. It is others that come into town and cause trouble. That same exact situation occurs during H2Oi, but no one ever gives them that same benefit.

Sigh.......

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    Agree with your post 100%............if you live in OC, or own and spend a great deal of time there, you should already be acutely aware of what is going on in any given week. Kind of like stocking up on necessities when 12" of snow is predicted. Don't expect to get to Food Lion or Walmart during certain weekends.

Most of the folks in our building don't live there year round, but years ago, we had a woman that complained about EVERYTHING. For instance, those Vortex footballs that whistle when you throw them. I dropped a few hints to her, but she was clueless.

That being said though, I do feel that this year's cruiser weekend did cross the line, as there were critical safety issues apparent that could have been a lot worse. If nothing is done to squelch this event, more than one person will die and that's unacceptable.
    For the most part I agree with you. We are here every weekend and know what is coming up. July 4th weekend, we expect to walk everywhere as driving can be a nightmare. I have never seen traffic like we had during Cruisin weekend this year. It was crazy. Not really complaining about the traffic, it is what it is, but that caught many of the people in my area (Caine Woods) completely off guard. Coastal Hwy was literally a parking lot on Saturday.

Bike week I know we will get little sleep. Plus I don't like to venture down below 45th during Bike Week as I had an uncomfortable situation while in my car with my wife and very young daughters a few years back. There were bikers on the sidewalks on lawn chairs yelling "Show me your t*ts" to almost every woman within earshot. It wasn't for my wife that I was uncomfortable (she is a grown girl and can handle that). It was my young daughters.

My main complaint is that the police seem to pick on cars for non moving violations during H2Oi and seem to let the Cruisers slide with burnouts. Any car, that is speeding, or otherwise creating a moving violation should be targeted. Import or domestic. It seems like because the Cruisers are older, they get a pass. During H2Oi the cops seemed to be preoccupied with pulling cars over and measuring bumper height (and impounding cars that were too low), measuring tint, and checking camber rather than enforcing traffic laws. Get the speeders and forget about a car that is driving slow with crazy camber. For Cruisin, stop the burnouts. I will make 1 exception to the safety violations....remove cars riding on slicks. Slicks are extremely dangerous on public roads.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra617 View Post
    For a while now I have been complaining about the double standard that the town, (Including OCPD) has shown in regards to import car weekends and Cruisin. I was down there this past weekend and it was a complete cluster. It validated my belief of the double standard.
    Let's discard the power outage on Friday which created a mess as that was not something the town could control.

Saturday had an unbelievable amount of traffic. I have a home in Caine Woods (136th and up). A residential community. My neighbors and I were basically trapped in our homes as the traffic was not moving for most of the day. My one neighbor had no idea and was wondering why his Uber requests kept getting cancelled. I tried to venture out during the day but had to turn around. It took me 20 mins to get from 125th st to 123rd (where I decided to bail and turn around).
    I honestly think there needs to be more cops at both events. There isn't enough. And from what I witnessed at an h2oi event a couple of years ago, they need to bring in cops from PA and DE as well. As for traffic It wasn't just that end of town, I left the inlet that day at 3:30 and I didn't get to turn onto Route 50 until 5 PM. I was nervously watching my temp gauge the whole time. There were about 4 female cops who were just standing there doing nothing. I did see a few other male cops from various departments standing on the sidewalk beside Baltimore Ave.

Later in the early evening (around 8pm) I was able to get out and drove a bit. I saw 1 police car on my drive between 145th-65th. For H2Oi, the town brought in State Police but for this show, I didn't see any police (well except for that one). How is that possible???? During this past H2Oi, there seemed to be a state trooper at every other intersection.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you there. At 7:45 PM on Saturday I pulled out of the Atlantic Coast Inn and headed South. I couldn't keep track of the amount of police cars between 140th and Dead Freddies. Every 3-4 blocks were police. There were multiple State Police cars and Sheriff Dept cars and Dozens of OCPD cars. Since you and I were driving in the same area at the same time frame as each other, I'm going to assume you didn't see the police cars that I did because you are a far superior driver then me and was driving attentively focused on only the traffic in front of you, whereas I get distracted by bright flashing lights. Kudos to you! I'm not going to assume that you are letting your tuner bias show and are being intellectually dishonest with your narrative in order to further your double standard view point.

For H2Oi, cops were pulling cars over and impounding cars for ticky tack "safety" violations. For example ride height.
    You're over simplifying somethings there. Multiple cases of those cars that were pulled over were indeed illegal and unsafe with their suspension and tire modifications. I know Maryland doesn't have an annual safety inspection (They need one, that will keep that junk off the road) but if they did, those cars wouldn't pass. With what I know about MD's requirements I guarantee when those cars are sold to new owners and receive the safety inspection by a legitimate shop, repairs will need to be made. When I was a mechanic and had my inspection license in PA, I failed many cars as defined by the code on the books several times a month with those modifications. I even failed a friends' girlfriend's car because of camber - He ended the friendship over it.

During my Saturday drive, I lost track of the number of Drag cars that I saw. They were very much NOT street legal.
    When a car has wheelie bars, a parachute, slicks (afaik slicks cannot be driven on public roads), and bicycle tires on the front....it is not street legal.
    As for drag cars, yes they can be street legal depending on the jurisdiction of where they were tagged. I saw many that were tagged one of 3 ways. Many of those cars I noticed were devoid of the show placards in the windshield.
    1. Tagged with PA Antique Plate
    2. Tagged with Maryland Street Rod Plate
    3. Tagged with Dealer Plates from different States.

Those cars with PA Antique Plates are in fact illegal as they violate the requirements of said plate and if pulled over by a PA cop, the car can have the plates yanked. However, if pulled over by a cop in another state, that cop is virtually powerless unless they keep the car and driver detained until they can get a PSP officer to come onto scene. We know that won't happen though.

Now, the ones with MD Street Rod Plates. They are in fact LEGAL. You may not like it, but they are. If you don't like it, I suggest that you write your state assemblyman.
    http://law.justia.com/codes/maryland...tle-9/13-937-1

Ones tagged with Dealer Plates....once again, the Police are pretty much powerless to do anything with those either. Now to address your slicks and "bicycle tires" comment. There are two versions of slicks. Slicks and Street Slicks which are DOT approved. From the side, both versions look virtually identical and while in movement, they completely look identical. DOT approved Street Slicks which is what I saw on those cars are approved for use in MD and they have 4-6 slight grooves running the circumference of the tire. Your bicycle tire comment is laughable. I hope you were just being facetious. Those "bicycle tires" are usually equivalent to a 195/75/15 tire. In case you're not aware of tire dimensions and I assume you aren't due to the term you use, that means the tire is 195mm wide while the height of the sidewall is 75% of the width. Essentially, those front tires are the same size I'm using on the front of my 1947 Ford.

Burnouts seemed to happen at will with no fear. It is like I can still smell the rubber.
    If you visit the Cruisin Ocean CIty Facebook Group, you will see the ones posting videos of the burnouts and what vehicles they are driving. 99% of the vids of the cars are not eligible (Pre 1976) for the show. And I bet the majority of the ones that you saw misbehave did not have a show placard in the windshield.

Someone took some pics of my car in the inlet:
    http://public.fotki.com/nikivee/2017...816.html#media
    See the placard in the lower drivers side windshield. That shows you who the real cruisers are.
    They also caught me driving into the row for parking:
    http://public.fotki.com/nikivee/2017.../dsc09720.html
    See my front tires? They are the same size as the ones most of the 'drag cars' are running. Perspective is an amazing thing!

The town needs strict enforcement of both shows. Period. Stop the double standard.
    I agree, bring in more cops.

Stop cars that have legitimate safety concerns. I don't care as much about a car that is lowered to 1/2" below the legal limit as much as I am about a car driving on slicks.
    I've already addressed this and debunked it.

Stop the speeders. This is my biggest concern. And for my biggest pet peeve......stop people from using the buses/bikes/right turn only lanes as their personal express lane. Nothing gets my blood boiling hotter than being stuck in traffic on coastal hwy and seeing cars using that lane and driving through intersections.
    Amen with the speeders. The bus lane doesn't piss me off as much as it does you though.

There were also people everywhere on lawn chairs drinking beer. Literally no one seemed to care about this.
    Drinking was being done everywhere. I even encountered some drunks in vehicles while cruising. I'll copy and paste one of my experiences I posted on another forum from Saturday night/Sunday Morning:

Warning, Graphic Language
    Saturday at 1 AM cruising in my 47 Ford Coupe, I think I was the oldest vehicle on Coastal Hwy at that time. I didn't see any other cars in passing within 10 years of age of my car. I remember years ago there was old Street/Hot Rods on Coastal at that time of night. Baltimore Ave. was highly congested. My wife was behind me in our new Challenger and she laid on the horn as three young girls that were in a very nice lifted 78-87 GMC Sierra were doing a burnout and the rear of the truck came within inches of hitting the 47. If I wouldn't have had a couple of feet of room in front of me she would have hit me if I hadn't recognized what was happening and pulled up. As for idiots rolling coal, I only witnessed it once and that was because it happened to me. I was cruisin beside a lifted older Dodge Ram for about 15-20 blocks and the passenger (who appeared he had been drinking) was hanging out the window trying to get me to race them and do a burnout. Kept on telling him the car is a cruiser and has no balls since it's a Ford. Finally at the last light they got mad I wouldn't race or burnout so the driver stomped on it and rolled coal on me as the passenger flicked me off and yelled "F**k You you pussy" That little outburst amused me so much I forgot to get pissed about having coal rolled on me All in all it wasn't bad with those being the only 2 negative things happening. It might be a few years before I take the 47 down for the spring show again though. That car does not like sitting and idling (like leaving the inlet at 3:30 PM).

Also, the graphic signs that many people were holding up were annoying. I had my kids with me on my drive on Saturday night.9 and 6 years old. And I turned around at 65th because it seemed that the further south I went, the lewder the signs became.
    I didn't see any signs, but I wasn't looking for them either. However, some of the stuff that was shouted to me and then my wife down on Baltimore Ave, made me blush and I have the mouth of a sailor. This show is being ruined by the non-legitimate cruisers and diesel lifted truckers. It has turned into a deleted scene from the Fast & Furious franchise.