+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Question for full time residents

Hello OCMD residents!

I'm an Air Force veteran and have been a police officer in Austin TX for the past 8 years. I'm looking to make a huge change in my life, hopefully soon. I don't enjoy what I do anymore or where I live. After much soul searching I came to the conclusion that I would like to live in OC and make a living there. I've always wanted to work for myself and I have a very strong entrepreneurial spirit. My big question is, what businesses do you feel are lacking in OC, either in equality or all together? I want to start a business that will not only sustain during the vacation season, but something that would be valuable to the full time community. Any input would be much appreciated!

Derrick

Sand Dollars
    I think opening a drop-in babysitting/day care center in OC or West OC would prove to be hugely successful. There is a Kids Cottage in Rehoboth that has been there for years. During the summer months, you will have vacationing parents using the facility so that they can go out to dinner alone or grab a drink at one of the many bars in OC. You could possibly sustain the business by offering quality child care throughout the off season.

Sand Dollars
    Whatever you decide, make sure you don't move forward just based on a "gut feel" of how much business you will have. Before you begin committing your hard earned $$$ you need to model your revenues and expenses - An Excel spreadsheet has more than enough functionality to accomplish this. No matter how many expenses you can think of there will always be the ones you didn't think about.

Just my .02

Good luck!
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    First off, thanks for serving in both capacities!!! You are appreciated.

My suggestion is to not rush into anything; take at least one year, work a few jobs, they're easy to find, and hang our with some of the locals to really get a feel for the city and demand. Ocean City doesn't shut down in the offseason like it did 50 years ago, but there still is a big difference between July and February. A lot of folks have two careers, one for May to October and the other for the other months. Definitely something to think about.

The daycare is a GREAT idea. A lot of parents come out with small kids and need a few hours without them to party. Possible problem with this would be backround/security checks on employees. I taught school for 35 years and the security precautions with teachers became insane (for a good reason) my last few years.

Keep us posted on your progress and ideas. BTW, not sure if you're a classical music fan, but my best friend from HS is the Maestro of the Austin Symphony Orchestra. He LOVES Austin and may spend his entire career there.

Sand Dollars
    Everyone thinks that living at the beach is the answer to a dream, and in one way it is. BUT, you have to come knowing that every year from April to November the town is overrun with tourists on vacation who don't care that you just planted new flowers in your yard or that you're planning a birthday party and have to get to Food Lion to pick up your cake. And this past weekend with Cruisin OC, I've never heard as many resident complaints before. You have to move here knowing what to expect, and to be able to handle the traffic, the dirt, the drunks, and everything else that comes with living in a resort town. People DON'T care if you're late for work or an appointment. They don't care if your baby is sick or someone in your family has died and you'd like peace and quiet. They're only worried about having a good time for that one or two weeks a year that they manage to be able to afford to come to OC and unwind.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but if you do, be realistic about things. It's not what's in your head, it's real life.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    Everyone thinks that living at the beach is the answer to a dream, and in one way it is. BUT, you have to come knowing that every year from April to November the town is overrun with tourists on vacation who don't care that you just planted new flowers in your yard or that you're planning a birthday party and have to get to Food Lion to pick up your cake. And this past weekend with Cruisin OC, I've never heard as many resident complaints before. You have to move here knowing what to expect, and to be able to handle the traffic, the dirt, the drunks, and everything else that comes with living in a resort town. People DON'T care if you're late for work or an appointment. They don't care if your baby is sick or someone in your family has died and you'd like peace and quiet. They're only worried about having a good time for that one or two weeks a year that they manage to be able to afford to come to OC and unwind.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't do it, but if you do, be realistic about things. It's not what's in your head, it's real life.
    This is a great post on two fronts. It will manage your expectations with respect to tourists and also OC is no different than any othe tourist town. Without tourists, OC would not exist. If you move to OC full time, you should expect the inconvenient byproducts of tourism. If you don't agree or think you can't handle it, don't move to OC or any othe tourist town.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post

Thanks for the insight! I have a good idea considering I work the entertainment district in Austin right now which is essentially 10 blocks of nothing but bars, drunks and tourists. My main concern would be adding value to the local community. If I can't do that, I don't think it would be a good fit for me right now.