+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Dollars

Working For The Summer

Howdy Guys,

I'm moving up to OC late May to work for the summer at Dead Freddies as security. What kind of scene should I expect out there? Also, anyone know any way to actually meet some people out there? I don't want to spend my entire summer just working and not doing a thing. Thanks!

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbo View Post
    Howdy Guys,

I'm moving up to OC late May to work for the summer at Dead Freddies as security. What kind of scene should I expect out there? Also, anyone know any way to actually meet some people out there? I don't want to spend my entire summer just working and not doing a thing. Thanks!
    Not sure how old you are, but guess you're on the young side. If you are working, you should have no trouble meeting people & finding stuff to do. If you're over 21, there are a lot of locals hangouts where workers seem to congregate. Sunday night is popular, because a lot of them are off work then. If all else fails, check out the event calendar on this site; it's pretty extensive.

OC changes a lot week to week. Lots of college students just off from school in May/June; then the "Junebugs" later in the month; HS Seniors who go crazy here until they run out of money or are arrested (or both). Then around the 4th,more families, firefighters week, etc. Again, check the calendar for what to expect.

Word of warning; our plumber moonlights security at a joint in Dewey Beach and says he spends way too much time in court, for having to testify for this or that, fights, etc.

You should get some other advice from the good folks on this forum

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    Not sure how old you are, but guess you're on the young side. If you are working, you should have no trouble meeting people & finding stuff to do. If you're over 21, there are a lot of locals hangouts where workers seem to congregate. Sunday night is popular, because a lot of them are off work then. If all else fails, check out the event calendar on this site; it's pretty extensive.

OC changes a lot week to week. Lots of college students just off from school in May/June; then the "Junebugs" later in the month; HS Seniors who go crazy here until they run out of money or are arrested (or both). Then around the 4th,more families, firefighters week, etc. Again, check the calendar for what to expect.

Word of warning; our plumber moonlights security at a joint in Dewey Beach and says he spends way too much time in court, for having to testify for this or that, fights, etc.

You should get some other advice from the good folks on this forum
    I'm 23 years old. I'm not expecting too much crazy from Freddies - I was told it's a quieter spot. I've also done security for two years, so I've definitely been to court a few times!

Sand Dollars
    Grimbo....great gig. There are a ton of people that work Dead Freddie's (one of the bigger bars/restaurants), and I'm sure some are in the same boat. Employees usually get together on days off or after hours. You will learn quickly where the bar staff hangs out when not working. Not sure about Freddie's but I know a popular place when off duty is Kirby's on 94th street. It may take you all of maybe 2 days to get to know people and fit in. Good luck!!