+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Free wifi in N. OC near Food Lion?

Son will be in that area for the summer and needs wifi to complete an online college course. Any suggestions? TIA!

Sand Dollars
    If you're a Comcast subscriber, set him up with a username and password. There are plenty of Xfinity hotspots in OC. If not, the answer is probably he's out if luck. He can got to a restaurant or coffee shop.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    I think the OC Library offers free wi-fi too.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Z06RL View Post
    I think the OC Library offers free wi-fi too.
    Thanks, we did see that. He may be able to use his phone as a hot spot, we are investigating that now as well.

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum View Post
    If you're a Comcast subscriber, set him up with a username and password. There are plenty of Xfinity hotspots in OC. If not, the answer is probably he's out if luck. He can got to a restaurant or coffee shop.
    How does this work? We have Comcast cable, but not wifi at our place. Would we still be able to access the hotspots??

Sand Dollars
    Depending on where you are, you should be able to try to connect to a hotspot around you with your phone to test:

Once you've connected to the xfinitywifi, simply launch your Web browser and you will be taken to the XFINITY WiFi login page.

Enter your XFINITY email or username and password
    Enter a friendly name for the device that you are signing in with ( e.g. Jen’s Tablet)
    Click Sign In
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by terp84alum View Post
    Depending on where you are, you should be able to try to connect to a hotspot around you with your phone to test:

Once you've connected to the xfinitywifi, simply launch your Web browser and you will be taken to the XFINITY WiFi login page.

Enter your XFINITY email or username and password
    Enter a friendly name for the device that you are signing in with ( e.g. Jenís Tablet)
    Click Sign In
    Here's a Hotspot map: http://hotspots.wifi.xfinity.com/mobile/

After reading your post, I realized that our condo is a hotspot, as I see "Xfinitywifi" on my browser. Again, I don't subscribe to wifi, just basic cable. Have a Username and password for the account. If this worked, it would be too good to be true, but not too sure it will.

I can't see Comcast providing anything you don't pay for. Will still give it a try when I'm there next week.

Thanks for the info

Sand Dollars
    Hi Jozo,
    You don't subscribe or pay a separate charge for wifi. Wifi is just a wireless method of accessing the Internet service, which is what you ARE subscribing for. When you signed up for Comcast, you were given the ability to log into comcast.net, using a UserID and Password to retrieve your Comcast email and make changes to your account. This is the same UserID and Password that you will use to access xfinity wifi hotspots around town or in your building. Once logged in, you can access any internet website that you were able to access from inside your home. If you are having difficulty, send me a private message and I can explain it to you in more detail.
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
    Hi Jozo,
    You don't subscribe or pay a separate charge for wifi. Wifi is just a wireless method of accessing the Internet service, which is what you ARE subscribing for. When you signed up for Comcast, you were given the ability to log into comcast.net, using a UserID and Password to retrieve your Comcast email and make changes to your account. This is the same UserID and Password that you will use to access xfinity wifi hotspots around town or in your building. Once logged in, you can access any internet website that you were able to access from inside your home. If you are having difficulty, send me a private message and I can explain it to you in more detail.
    SlowRider: That would be great if I could access wifi at the condo using just our cable account. Still not sure if it will work after reading this:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/inte...wifi-internet/

Access to the hotspots is offered at no additional charge to all XFINITY Mobile customers as well as XFINITY Internet customers who subscribe to packages that include speeds of 25 Mbps or higher.

Will give it a try next week.

Sand Dollars
    I don't see why it wouldn't, unless your account is for less than 25mbps. I can see their point. They don't want you paying for 5mbps, but accessing the internet at 200 mbps through your neighbors account who is paying a higher price.

Regards,
    Pete
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City