+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sand Dollars
    At my primary residence I have "cut the cord" as they call it. Was tired of paying Verizon $265 every month for the 95% garbage TV & cable programming. Switched to Comcast, but ONLY the Internet. $40 per month. I installed a MOHU Sky60 antenna in the attic, and am now receiving almost 60 channels over the air for free. This includes the digitally broadcast ABC, NBC, CBS, WUSA, and FOX (not the same as FOX News) stations. Each of these broadcast more than one program. For example, WUSA in Washington broadcasts on 9.1, 9.2, 9.3 and 9.4.

We also use ROKU, Amazon Fire Stick, and Chromecast. All three enable us to access programming that we used to receive over cable... History, HGTV, HBO Now, Food, Netflix, ABC, Showtime, Fandango, Bravo, Animal Planet, Disney, Pandora, Hulu, YouTube, Nat Geo, Oxygen, and so many others. Too many to list here. We use a 4 tuner Tablo device to record and playback the live Over The Air (OTA) television programming like the 10 o'clock news. All I am missing is my "right wing extremist" FOX News, but I learned that if I open an account with http://www.Directvnow.com I will receive that as part of their package.

We can access everything described above on any of our 7 televisions. It's all broadcast throughout the house over our wireless router.

Since I also pay $25 monthly for Vonage for my house phone, I pay a total of $65 per month for phone and internet.

I have a PDF configuration diagram showing the products and how they're connected but I don't see a way to upload it here. I'll try to insert it as an image in another post.
    Last edited by SlowRider; 04-26-2017 at 08:37 PM.
    Regards,
    Pete, Gaithersburg & Ocean City

Sand Dollars
    Our "Cutting the Cord" configuration is unfortunately a little too large to upload here. I've tried jpg, pdf, and gif.
    Update: After reducing the image size, it looks like it might have worked

Cut The Cord 2017.04.22.smaller.jpg
    Last edited by SlowRider; 04-26-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    Regards,

Sand Dollars
    hmmm sounds like i am stuck with cable...the winter rate we had was 5 months.... came to 15.95 by the time they added their fees and the taxes on..But hey...will take that over the 95 we are paying now.

Sand Dollars
    You can enter your address at this FCC website to find out which digital over the air broadcast channels you can expect to receive based upon your distance from the closest stations.
    https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
    Regards,

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowRider View Post
    You can enter your address at this FCC website to find out which digital over the air broadcast channels you can expect to receive based upon your distance from the closest stations.
    https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
    SlowRider: I may have to hire you to set up our place on 29th! Just got a goofy bill from comcast and have to call to straighten it out.

Your attachment was impressive and easy to follow. Question about the MOHU attic device. If you're at The Pyramid (cool building), where do you have it?

Since we need the internet, it really makes sense to just pay for that and drop comcast for cable. really don't use most of the channels they provide and we're on the basic plan. Just want TWC, ESPN, etc. (yes and FOX News )

Adding this to the "to-do" list.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    SlowRider: I may have to hire you to set up our place on 29th! Just got a goofy bill from comcast and have to call to straighten it out.

Your attachment was impressive and easy to follow. Question about the MOHU attic device. If you're at The Pyramid (cool building), where do you have it?

Since we need the internet, it really makes sense to just pay for that and drop comcast for cable. really don't use most of the channels they provide and we're on the basic plan. Just want TWC, ESPN, etc. (yes and FOX News )

Adding this to the "to-do" list.
    Hi Jozo, I'm always glad to help you out :-) We come out often. I'll be taking some art classes at the Ocean City Arts League. I'd be glad to sit with you over a coffee or a beer (depending on the time) and discuss it.

Regarding the Pyramid, I was probably not clear - Our primary residence is in Gaithersburg, but we also own an apartment in the Pyramid. I tried the antenna at the Pyramid, but had poor results. The building is solid concrete, our apt is only on the 1st floor, and we're on the North side of the building.

Now, that said - we should be able to take one of our Tablo paired devices from home, and watch any of our Gaithersburg recorded content and cast it onto our TV at the Pyramid. The Tablo automatically configures your wireless router at home to allow your device to connect in from anywhere. I am still experimenting with this function.

Based on the FCC site, from the Pyramid we should be able to receive the following...
    Strong Signal WBOC CBS/FOX 16-1
    Strong Signal WMDT ABC 47-1
    Moderate Signal WCPB PBS 28-1
    Moderate Signal WDPB PBS 64-1
    Regards,

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Pete: Thanks for the offer. I may send a group e-mail to the unit owners of our building (The Towers on 29th), and see what they do for cable. We are on the 6th floor facing the ocean. I know my neighbor upstairs has some sort of elaborate antennae, but not sure where it is placed.

I see you live in Gaithersburg. We go there occasionally, my Aunt and Uncle live there on Longdraft, have lived in the same house for over 50 years. I recall going there back in the 60's before the town exploded (think there were more Black Angus than people back then

Sand Dollars
    Oh the old days, Jozo! I wish we could go back.... We live in what used to be the Mills' farm, about 3 miles West of Longdraft on Quince Orchard Road - now 400+ track homes. Been here 30 years. At night, we can hear the Angus calling out from the old Prospect Farm at the end of Quince Orchard Road. The farm is already sold to Toll Bros, scheduled to begin in 2018.

How many total units are in your building?
    Regards,

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmommom View Post
    I saw they offer that...do they have a "winter rate" that allows you for 5 months..to just pay like 15 and have minimal channels??
    Yes, they called it the "Snowbird" plan. I'm not sure if they still offer that plan. It came with some issues. In October they would drop the price, but sometimes we'd also lose the service. We'd have to call and "remind" them we were on the snowbird.

I know the Pyramid condo fee includes basic cable, but not internet, for all residents. We pay for the $30 per month for internet separately from the condo association.
    Regards,