+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sand Dollars

Alternative to Comcast Cable

Does anyone know if there is an alternative to Comcast? i think their prices are crazy. and when we have had issues the service also STINKS>

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    DITTO!!!!!! Comcast has the absolute worst customer service on the planet. It's gotten a bit better as of late, but I would love to find an alternative.

We're on the "snowbird plan" since we're not there much between November and February. You pay a nominal monthly fee and get a few channels. I need to tinker around with one of those TV antennas, don't know how many stations you get with those. Really when we're at the shore, be just need the Weather Channel, ESPN and a few other local stations., On my "to-do list" to call them and tweak our account and bill.

Funny thing about Comcast, they are responsible for the ONLY time in my life that I have used an "F-Bomb" while talking to my Mom. I make a habit of not using that word, but was venting one day about Comcast and was so upset, it came out. She thought it was pretty funny.

Sand Dollars

comcast

We are on the 5 month cheap plan...but dang when you add in the taxes...franchise fees...jacks it to 15 then i get a bill for 159..prorating the next month...wth??? regular fee is $95.00 a month... rip offs.

Sand Dollars
    I switched to DirectTV.

Sand Dollars

comcast

I saw they offer that...do they have a "winter rate" that allows you for 5 months..to just pay like 15 and have minimal channels??

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by ocmommom View Post
    We are on the 5 month cheap plan...but dang when you add in the taxes...franchise fees...jacks it to 15 then i get a bill for 159..prorating the next month...wth??? regular fee is $95.00 a month... rip offs.
    Have you tried calling and tweaking what channels you receive? Not sure if they do that or not; as I stated in my earlier post, we get a lot of channels and really only want the basic ones when we're at the shore. Can't get Direct TV in our condo.

If there are any high-tech folks out there, 2 gadgets I hear bout a lot are Roku (sp?) and Slingbox. Aren't these cheap ways to get cable? We have Spectrum here in Ohio and I wonder if there is a way to access that account in OC.

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post
    Have you tried calling and tweaking what channels you receive? Not sure if they do that or not; as I stated in my earlier post, we get a lot of channels and really only want the basic ones when we're at the shore. Can't get Direct TV in our condo.

If there are any high-tech folks out there, 2 gadgets I hear bout a lot are Roku (sp?) and Slingbox. Aren't these cheap ways to get cable? We have Spectrum here in Ohio and I wonder if there is a way to access that account in OC.
    You need an internet connection for those gadgets. Guess who provides the internet?

Sand Dollars
    I just called Comcast today to discuss our service plan. Customer service is still poor, menu from hell, but I did get through to a representative who was helpful.

Basic cable, which includes a lot of channels is $65/mo. We have 2 boxes. There is an economy package, but it doesn't include a lot of channels like CNN.

The Snowbird Plan is only for 3 months, I thought it was longer. You have to call to activate the plan, which brings the bill to $8/mo. for 3 months. Then it automatically turns back on and the regular rate.

Question for Bob Hall in the previous post: If we drop cable service and just get internet, would we be able to use the Roku or slingbox to get basic cable channels?
    I've heard you can do this, but no one seems to be able to explain it very well.

Sand Dollars
    DirecTV is a no brainer if you have a clear view of the SW sky and if you have DirecTV at your main residence. DirecTV offers a vacation home plan. You can have receivers at a vacation home without the need for a second account. They only bill you for the additional receiver(s).

So if you have DirecTV at your main home it would only be an additional $14/month for 2 receivers at the vacation home.

I have 3 DirecTV receivers at my vacation home in OC. I still need to have Comcast for internet. I use internet year round as I have a wi-fi thermostat (It is nice to get to a home at the right temperature) and some wi-fi cameras (like to check on the place when I am not there). I also have an Ooma device for telephone. (comes out to about $5/month for the phone).

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozo View Post

Question for Bob Hall in the previous post: If we drop cable service and just get internet, would we be able to use the Roku or slingbox to get basic cable channels?
    I've heard you can do this, but no one seems to be able to explain it very well.
    I have not used Roku or slingbox myself, but if you just the Comcast internet, you will be able to have those 2 devices connect and do whatever they are programmed to do.