+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by pghDave View Post
    I'm with you on this. Traveling east on the PA turnpike we see the 6-8 feel good windmills by the Somerset service plaza and they are more often than not, not turning. I also catch a glimpse of a much larger farm north of the pike as you approach the first tunnel. Those seem to be turning more frequently ... perhaps generating enough power to charge someone's cell phone I suppose.

To me, the argument for wind power is so weak from an engineering and accounting viewpoint there's no reason to create the aesthetic problem.

What happens with these wind farms as they fall into disrepair an dis-use (is that a word?) when the tax breaks and other prop-ups run out? I guess in the ocean they might at least become artificial reefs.

Oh well, i'm dangerously close to becoming political in my vacation forum. I think I'll go pontificate on beach restoration next. ;-)
    The tallest mountains in PA aren't near the turpike.
    As for the article, why do they state two different heights? 5 story and 480 feet. Which is it?

Sand Dollars
    I called Potomac Edison and asked them about the windmills in Garrett County near Deep Creek where I used to have a vacation home. They told me they shut the windmills down when they don't need the power, which is the majority of the time. It's all about PR and tax credits

I will say that I had the opportunity to see one up close. I mean I literally touched it. They are huge and amazing. Really spectacular. One is spectacular. Dozens are not. No thanks.
    Last edited by terp84alum; 04-07-2017 at 09:21 PM.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    The tallest mountains in PA aren't near the turpike.
    As for the article, why do they state two different heights? 5 story and 480 feet. Which is it?
    I'm guessing he's seeing the ones in Meyersdale. The ones near Altoona and Lilly/Portage and Meyersdale were all brought in by Gamesa, which is part of Siemens and whose headquarters are in Spain. They built the blades in Ebensburg Pa, and in Johnstown. You can still find a few of the enormous blades laying in the dirt in Richland Twp by the college. It was a big rip off every way around for this area except for a few farmers.
    Ask an OC Insider

Sand Dollars
    Pretty sure the one north of the PA Turnpike that I reference is the Stony Creek Wind Farm near Central City, PA. It has 35 turbines for a capacity of 52.5 megawatts (MW). Built on an old coal mine, turned ATV track.

The Somerset Wind Farm which is the one right beside the PA Turnpike's Somerset service plaza has six GE Turbines for 9 MW of power. Pretty sure it's primary purpose is to provide a Kodak moment for turnpike travelers.

From what I know the largest wind farm in PA is up in the Scranton / Wyoming County area. Mehoopany Wind Farm has 88 turbines and about 141 MW capacity. It cost $250 Million to build. It's on a 9000 acre sight and is owned and operated by BP wind energy.

Anyway to circle this back to OCMD, the proposed off shore project would be 125 turbines for 250 MW, growing to 187 turbines for 750 MW. (Yeah, that expansion math doesn't work for me either. I guess they are planning on more efficient turbines in the future phase.)

Sand Dollars
    I would think there would be so much red tape doing this that it wouldn't be worth the effort. Government regulations concerning the water, shipping lanes, environmental concerns as far as the fish and sea life, etc. I'm not smart enough to know what all is involved, but I just can't grasp what exactly Ocean City has to do with what happens in the ocean.
    Ask an OC Insider

Transplanted to Ohio, constantly battling for time in OC!
    Sand Dollars
    Now they're proposing moving them back 5 miles to reduce visibility:

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2017/04/...ibility-by-35/

That's still not going to help much if you are on the 6th floor or higher in the condo that you've worked hard to pay for.

I still think this whole project is a waste of money, probably a leftover from Governor "Owe-Malley". Also didn't think about the shipping lanes, etc. that the previous poster mentioned.

Have to agree with what someone else said, whenever I see these things, the blades are not moving or just barely.

Sand Dollars
    I wonder why they can't move this project further south?

Sand Dollars
    It would then negate the primary objective being PR.
    Ken

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hall View Post
    I wonder why they can't move this project further south?
    Perhaps they could push them out into the Atlantic Naval Range where the turbines could serve a purpose as targets?

Sand Dollars
    Quote Originally Posted by pghDave View Post
    Perhaps they could push them out into the Atlantic Naval Range where the turbines could serve a purpose as targets?
    ROFL!! That's funny!
    Ask an OC Insider